Computer Dies at complete random

HunterKiller94
Go to solution Solved by HunterKiller94,

i know what the problem was!! the motherboard!! the gigabyte z97x-soc is crap. STAY AWAY FROM IT!! go for anything else but that damn thing.

i know the MB was the problem because i replaced it with another z97x-soc and the shutdown issue was still there, i replaced it with the Maximus VII Hero and its going great. even with a big overclock in place. 

so again i say, AVOID THE Z97X-SOC!!

Hi everyone! i need some help figuring out a problem I've been having for a while now. i built a new gaming rig around 3 weeks ago and i did some overclocking. even with the smallest overclock it'd die at random, and start back up within 3 seconds and i'd see this message (see photo) so i'd load optimized defaults and it'd be ok. now its doing it even without an overclock in place. i strongly believe its a motherboard issue and i intend to buy a new one in a few days. but i'd like a few opinions first. do you think its a motherboard problem and a new one would fix it? please let me know your thoughts.

hardware

I5 4690k

gigabyte z97x-soc 

Coolermaster Vanguard 80+ Gold Full-Modular 1000w

4G GTX 760 Gigabyte-OC

4 gig ram

Coolermaster Nepton 280L

post-142939-0-87772700-1411302558_thumb.

Are you overclocking by changing the BLCK?

Thats not the way you should do it with your cpu, as the blck is locked

Overclock using the multiplier instead

Try clearing your CMOS and see what happens

60FPS Microwave

Intel Core i5-4670K | Galax GTX 970 EXOC | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | Team Elite 8GB 1600MHz | Gelid Black Edition | Samsung slowdown + WD Blue 1TB x2 | Cooler Master V550 | Corsair K65 + Logitech G100s | MasterCase Pro 3

no i always use the multiplier. and i've updated the BIOS

Are you overclocking by changing the BLCK?

Thats not the way you should do it with your cpu, as the blck is locked

Overclock using the multiplier instead

Try clearing your CMOS and see what happens

you mean load factory defaults? ive done that a lot. it used to work but now it doesn't

517n0o.jpg

no h8

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

im sorry mate i couldn't open the photo you sent.

Updated.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Updated.

can open it now. and i don't have to turn it off and on again. it does it itself. which is the major issue.

I would try a different hdd if you have an old one spare or try a fresh install again before spending anymore money.

oh another bit of info about whats happening. when i overclock i could get it to 4.6 and it'd be stable for hours of gaming. but go to youtube and watch a video and it died most of the time till you reset the bios

I would try a different hdd if you have an old one spare or try a fresh install again before spending anymore money.

i've tried a full re install of windows but it didn't help. and the HDD is in good nick, its less then 6 months old and hasn't shown any signs of failure. (corrupted files and such) 

i've tried a full re install of windows but it didn't help. and the HDD is in good nick, its less then 6 months old and hasn't shown any signs of failure. (corrupted files and such) 

I guess I would be looking at the motherboard after that too I guess. Also have you tried unhooking your 760 and just using the onboard graphics?

I guess I would be looking at the motherboard after that too I guess. Also have you tried unhooking your 760 and just using the onboard graphics?

actually i haven't... do you think that could be the possible cause of the issue?

I've run a lot of benchmarks for the GPU and no issues came up. i even run assassins creed at max without an issue

actually i haven't... do you think that could be the possible cause of the issue?

I've run a lot of benchmarks for the GPU and no issues came up. i even run assassins creed at max without an issue

Its more of a try everything approach tbh but its worth a shot.

ok I'll give it a go. also the computer chucked another fit about 10 minutes ago. wouldn't let me in the bios, and i basically had to fight the system to get to work again. this thing is cursed!

Hi everyone! i need some help figuring out a problem I've been having for a while now. i built a new gaming rig around 3 weeks ago and i did some overclocking. even with the smallest overclock it'd die at random, and start back up within 3 seconds and i'd see this message (see photo) so i'd load optimized defaults and it'd be ok. now its doing it even without an overclock in place. i strongly believe its a motherboard issue and i intend to buy a new one in a few days. but i'd like a few opinions first. do you think its a motherboard problem and a new one would fix it? please let me know your thoughts.

hardware

I5 4690k

gigabyte z97x-soc 

Coolermaster Vanguard 80+ Gold Full-Modular 1000w

4G GTX 760 Gigabyte-OC

4 gig ram

Coolermaster Nepton 280L

Pluck out one of the RAM sticks, no improvement? Put it back in and try the other one. This sounds suspeciously like what happened to my fathers computer (which I built for him two years ago), anyway if it's the MB then you should get it RMA'd, they probably have more than a 6 mounts warranty?

i did think it was the ram at one point but after using Prime95 to test the ram for a good while and all was good i focused more on the MB which is still my number one suspect, because whenever i go into it and change something, even a fan speed and it dies at random. and for the past day or so the defaults cause random death. i can't win with it. OC and goes insane, leave it at default and it'll die randomly.

ok I'll give it a go. also the computer chucked another fit about 10 minutes ago. wouldn't let me in the bios, and i basically had to fight the system to get to work again. this thing is cursed!

Sounds like its possessed! If all else fails (checking ram, gfx card, hdd etc) then yeah get it RMA'd.......Or call in a Priest!

we'll start with the RMA then priest lol sadly in that case i'm gonna have to buy a new motherboard if i send this little turd off because i need my computer to keep me sane haha

Sounds like the motherboard, but you should try it without the graphics card. I had a problem where I could game for hours on one game (swtor), on ultra, with not even a hiccup, but as soon as I tried to load another game like BF4. I'd get a BSOD with a general hardware fault error, played around with it a bit and ended up deciding it was the graphics card. Hasn't happened since I took that out and started running on the onboard graphics, granted I'm only running battlefield bad company 2 (because bf4 is too much for onboard graphics) but that game had the BSOD issue as well.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

hmm ok, I'll rip the GPU out tomorrow and see how it goes (its 1:08am where i am, and im to sleepy to go messing around in there lol) 

just did something a little different guy!! instead of going into the bios to do any form of OC or change t something i used a program you use on the desktop to OC the CPU to where i normally would and it didn't go bat s#*t crazy on me. i'll do a few more tests and get back to you! 

if its not GPU then i'd say Motherboard aswell..

Some websites take advantage of hardware acceleration which leverages the GPU (even just a little bit) and if the GPU doesn't like it it will blue screen.. I haven't had this issue personally but i've heard of it. i've monitored my XFX7970 while web browsing  before and have seen it being used like 5% at times. Gaming could be perfectly fine on it but theres a chance it just doesn't like it.

just did something a little different guy!! instead of going into the bios to do any form of OC or change t something i used a program you use on the desktop to OC the CPU to where i normally would and it didn't go bat s#*t crazy on me. i'll do a few more tests and get back to you! 

That almost sounds like the bios is messed up... not sure for your model but you could try flashing the previous version of bios...