I looking for advice from people who have built a high-end system, and/or a mid-low end system.

I'm starting uni in about 2 weeks and my aged 2006 macbook, that i got when i was in my early teens and didn't know how to build yet, wont cut it anymore. I have over the last years learnt all that i should on computer hardware and now have a strong intrest into doing it for the first time. I have a question though that i cant yet answer.

If i build a high end machine will i feel like that extra money will have been wasted and i should have built a mid-low end, or vice versa?

For more context: I have the funds to go ahead with a £2000 ish build (i consider that highend). I have no hardware now that i can reuse. I've never built before (confident i can easily do it though). Some of this money will have to go on peripherals and a desk and chair.

The short of it is this. I go for a nice build and live on a budget for a year or two, OR go for a lower end build and live more comfortably. (i undertand this is all a matter of perspective though)

Has anyone here built a high end build and regret it? Or has anyone held back but wish they didnt?

I dont think I have any. Im the kind of person who spends months deciding on what exactly I want. If you plan your build right you wont have any regrets.

My build was my first, I did it last year and I ended up getting high quality, mid ranged parts. Thats how id describe them anyway. I use 4GB dims for RAM, I have mATX board, a 560Ti and a HX650. So none of these parts are really that expensive and they werent the latest and greatest. But they fell into my budget range and did the job.

Only now am I seeing games saying the recommended video card is a 560Ti and thats ARMA3, which isnt even in Beta yet.

You can get a good computer and work around some of the things you may want later on. Get an mATX board and save some cash if you are only going to use one card, get a 2x4 kit of RAM if your not doing any rendering. Get a quad core CPU...

I feel like blah blah blah blah blah.....

I would have got a C70 for a case instead of my CM storm enforcer. Has space for the watercooling I plan on doing soon. I just wanted to get a case so I could get the thing built as soon as possible :P

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

Thanks. I cant believe how quick people are on here. 

My only regret is the PSU i bought for my current rig. so do some research and buy a high quality power supply.

Main Rig: Intel Core i5 2500K @4.7Ghz, Noctua NH-U12s, Asus z68 V-Pro, Evga GTX 970, Samsung EVO 250Gb, Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1600 MHz 16GB,fractal design define r3, XFX XXX 850W

Laptop: Clevo w230st, 13.3" 1080p screen,  CPU intel i5 4200M(Someone want's to donate a i7-4700qm? :P), 8gb ram 1600Mhz, Geforce gtx 765m, SSD: mSata Evo 120Gb(still room for one more), HHD: 1Tb 7200rpm, 

Wish I got an mATX case that was 240 rad compatible

wish I waited and saved more for a 7950 instead of a 7850 (have a 7950 now)

Wish I didn't get a 750w PSU (thought I was gonna Xfire 7850's, I did, it was bad)

Wish I didn't get xbox huge ram heatsinks (corsair vengeance)

Wish I knew that certain Gigabyte mobo had OC issues (replaced)

Here's the thing. If you build something that will play all the current games and next gen games maxed, you will be satisfied. If it doesn't, you won't.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

getting crossfire 6870s instead of a 7950.

getting 2 64 GB SSDs and raid 1ing them instead of  a larger SSD

getting non-reference PCB graphics cards so I can't get a full cover block for them.

not getting dust filters out the ass for my original case (haf 912) 

I will tell you the mistakes i made, I bought a weak motherboard to save money when i should have bought a premium motherboard because of the expandability, its really annoying when you run out of sata ports! I also bought a cheap case when really i should have bought a more premium case(now i have an R4). I also bought a GTX 560 ti a month before the GTX 600 series. So my advice is to not go cheap in anything to save money and make sure you are not buying soon to be outdated products. Try and make a build that really suits your need before you think of the money, now hence forth and build!

My specs:Fractal Define R4, i5 2550k, Asus GTX 560ti 2GB, Samsung 840 pro 120GB SSD, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM ,Seagate Barracuda 2TB, Corsair 600w PSU

My system specs are in my little signature thing. The only regret i had with my 1500-1800$ pc is my case imo was wayyy to small

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

My only regret is thinking I wouldnt need an SSD and only getting a 1TB harddrive. I did put the saved money towards a better gpu though

I'd go all out, just my philosophy. If I'm going to build something, it should last long ("future proofing" it <- yes I know you can't futureproof a computer, thats the reason I put it in quotes)

My Best 2013 Bitfenix Prodigy Build  Case: Bitfenix Prodigy White | Motherboard: ASRock Z77E-ITX | CPU: Intel i7 3770k | CPU Cooler: H100i | GPU: GTX 690

Fan Controller: Bitfenix Recon | Ram: Patriot IEM 16GB @ 1600mhz | Primary Storage: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Backup Drives: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU: Seasonic X850

Not having enough money for a gpu.

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

The only regret i have with my build is my 30GB SSD boot drive.

DO NOT GET A 30GB BOOT DRIVE!

~Judah

my regret is not going to 3 GTX 670's and go  Tri-Crossfire 7970's, and i wish i went 2700K instead of 2500K.

not much really, messy cable management and watercooling loop runs but i'm going to fix that over the summer with a rebuild.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

I don't regret anything, even the mistakes I've made along the way with building my computer this time around (been building PC's since I was about 13 years old and I still make mistakes). I just take it as part of the constant learning experience. Just plan as much you can, ask as many questions (good thing you are here) and figure out, as best you can, what you need from your PC and in turn what your PC will need in order to give you that experience.

Best of luck, you won't regret it if you take the time you need in order to get the build you need.

i5 3570K • 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP • 2x Asus GTX 670 SLI • Asus Sabertooth z77 • Asus PCE-AC66 • Crucial M4 256GB • Corsair AX 850 • Sound Blaster Xz • Fractal Define R4 • Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 • Dell U2713HM • Sennheiser RS 180 • Fanatec Porsche GT2 Wheel • Clubsport Pedals