What is SSAA and Why does it drastically reduce FPS?

Wano97

I saw my FPS in Metro:LL go down like crazy as soon as I enabled SSAA

I think I've always had this enabled, and had around 65+ FPS, I started messing around with the new precision x 5.2, and after that (Just a guess) my FPS was around 33, not going a single FPS higher if I lowered other settings

Its a type of anti aliasing. 

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Its a type of anti aliasing. 

Yeah, I know  :P, reread my other post

Super Sampling is the most intensive type of Anti Aliasing. You're basically loading every pixel on your screen several times, then shrinking the picture back down after wards. It's the most thorough way of smoothing jagged lines, but it is incredibly intensive.

I saw my FPS in Metro:LL go down like crazy as soon as I enabled SSAA

I think I've always had this enabled, and had around 65+ FPS, I started messing around with the new precision x 5.2, and after that (Just a guess) my FPS was around 33, not going a single FPS higher if I lowered other settings

its supersampling AA. basically your card will render the game at a bigger resolution and then downscale. so its exactly like playing on a bigger res monitor. for example an x4 SSAA on a 1080p monitor means your card is rendering 4K 

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

its supersampling AA. basically your card will render the game at a bigger resolution and then downscale. so its exactly like playing on a bigger res monitor. for example an x4 SSAA on a 1080p monitor means your card is rendering 4K 

Oh I get it now. I thought I've always had SSAA on x4, and was wondering why I had such incredible low FPS

Oh I get it now. I thought I've always had SSAA on x4, and was wondering why I had such incredible low FPS

well now you know ^^

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Ha ouch.

it takes a higher resolution and down samples it to 1080p

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply