Upgrading Case from a NZXT Phantom 410 for silence?

Ardaen
Go to solution Solved by aduman,

Thanks for the tip. My fans may not be the absolute best for silence alone, but from what I know they are not that bad, especially the noctua on the radiator. And since that doesn't help, I personally doubt any other fan would help. Or am I completely mistaken?

So, which high airflow but decently silent chassis would you guys recommend?

There aren't many options but here's what I'd do: I'd pick a case like enthoo pro or luxe and install high quality fans on them, like the ones I mentioned. Enthoo Pro is really good for this since you already get a great case for the money and this gives you the option to spend some money on fans. :)

Hey guys,

i'm an owner of a Phantom 410 which I modded with a full window side panel.

Even though I also mounted some noise dampening materials wherever possible (without hindering air flow) I'm quite unsatisfied with the noise my rig produces even on idle.

I have modded the upper chassis to allow it to fit my Corsair H110 and mounted the radiator under the upper plastic cover.

The radiator is cooled by 2x Noctua NF-A14 (push, since the fans are inside the chassis and blow air out of the case) which at idle run at only 650rpm.

Despite all this, a pretty loud air flowing noise is audible.

My impression is that the plastic cover functions as a kind of resonance chamber for the sound.

My full rig specs are:

Asus Maximus VI Hero

Intel 4790K @ 4,7 GHz 1,34v

Corsair H110

16 GB Corsair Vengeance Memory @ 2133 MHz CL9

2x Asus DCU2 GTX 780 SLI

Corsair AX860i

Cooling

idle speed/voltage

Front : 2x Corsair SP120 Quiet   @500rpm

Floor: 1x Corsair SP120 Quiet    @5V

Back: 1x Corsair SP120 Quiet    @500rpm

Side: 1x Corsair AF140 Quiet     @5V

Top: 2x Noctua NF-A14 PWM    @650rpm

I have mounted the 140mm side fan to feed the graphics cards with fresh air, since they would otherwise throttle slightly under valley and heavy gaming loads.

My question would be how I can improve the noise output without hindering the air flow too much.

Like I said I have already tried with low speed silence optimized fans and aftermarket noise dampening material.

The last thing that comes to my mind would be a different case, which doesn't resonate the radiator/fan noise and even point it to my ears (case sits on my desk)

Do you guys have some other suggestions which wouldn't cost me at least another 100€ / $ ?

If not, which case would you suggest for my config?

A Fractal Design Define R4 with radiator mounted up top is not an option.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I'm eyeing a Phanteks Enthoo Pro for the amazing Price performance ratio, but I'm not convinced it would be quieter? Or does it?

H440

Thanks for  your suggestion!

Is it really that quiet? Some reviews seem to say otherwise.

Will the aiflow be sufficent, expecially for the 2 air cooled GTX780 in SLI?

Thanks for  your suggestion!

Is it really that quiet? Some reviews seem to say otherwise.

Will the aiflow be sufficent, expecially for the 2 air cooled GTX780 in SLI?

Airflow is not great on every silence optimised case. If the gpus are not using reference type coolers then I'd suggest getting a case with proper airflow.

SimRacer - Casual FSX Pilot!

Spoiler

Mobo: MSI B550 Tomahawk | CPU: Ryzen R5 3600 | GPU: Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200Mhz | PSU: EVGA P2 1000W 80Plus Platinum | Storage: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD - 1TB WD Black - 2TB Seagate HDD | Cooling: Dark Rock Pro 3, Noiseblocker eLoop Fans | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Audio: Sennheiser HD598 - JBL LSR305s | Display: BenQ EX3501R, Asus VG278H

Spoiler

Airflow is not great on every silence optimised case. If the gpus are not using reference type coolers then I'd suggest getting a case with proper airflow.

Like I said those are Direct CU2 Coolers which blow pretty much the whole air into the case.

So my dilemma is that I need good air flow AND silence.

Any other suggestions? :)  

Like I said those are Direct CU2 Coolers which blow pretty much the whole air into the case.

So my dilemma is that I need good air flow AND silence.

Any other suggestions? :)

That combo is unfortunately impossible for those two particular GPUs. If you are ok with high temps then you can get cases like H440 though but I'd prefer a case with better airflow. Fill it with Noctuas, Noiseblockers, Gentle Typhoons, Silent Wings 2's and you should be alright.

Spoiler

Mobo: MSI B550 Tomahawk | CPU: Ryzen R5 3600 | GPU: Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200Mhz | PSU: EVGA P2 1000W 80Plus Platinum | Storage: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD - 1TB WD Black - 2TB Seagate HDD | Cooling: Dark Rock Pro 3, Noiseblocker eLoop Fans | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Audio: Sennheiser HD598 - JBL LSR305s | Display: BenQ EX3501R, Asus VG278H

Spoiler

That combo is unfortunately impossible for those two particular GPUs. If you are ok with high temps then you can get cases like H440 though but I'd prefer a case with better airflow. Fill it with Noctuas, Noiseblockers, Gentle Typhoons, Silent Wings 2's and you should be alright.

Thanks for the tip. My fans may not be the absolute best for silence alone, but from what I know they are not that bad, especially the noctua on the radiator. And since that doesn't help, I personally doubt any other fan would help. Or am I completely mistaken?

There aren't many options but here's what I'd do: I'd pick a case like enthoo pro or luxe and install high quality fans on them, like the ones I mentioned. Enthoo Pro is really good for this since you already get a great case for the money and this gives you the option to spend some money on fans. :)

Spoiler

Spoiler

Thanks for your help!

Thanks for your help!

You're welcome! Glad to help. :)

Spoiler

Spoiler