900d front radiator question

claytonno
Go to solution Solved by Monty007,

Ahhh thanks for this do you have any links to the builds? I am okay with cutting out the bottom of the 5.25 with the cutting tool on my Dremel but I am using a fan controller in the middle slot, could I maybe still do this?

I'll have to look through my old research posts.  Lots of stuff on OCN but I don't have them bookmarked anymore since I completed the build.  If I find them I'll post back here.

You can still do it.  Just cut out the bottom slot.  Should give you all the room you need.  Are you going to run the fans in a push or pull setup on the front rad?

Hi there folks, I have a 900d which I am planning on fully loading with 480 rads top and bottom, 1x 240 in the bottom and 1x 360 in the front.

My question is in regard to the front 360 radiator, it is an alphacool st30 radiator so 30mm thick and I have been test fitting it in the case. I have found it fits perfectly inlets facing down but I don't think this will leave enough room for my rx480 with push fans. I have tried the radiator facing upwards but it seems too tight to line up the holes properly, I am using 90 degree fittings facing down so clearance is not a issue with the hard drive cage but I think there is a rivet in the bottom that is blocking the radiator in this orientation. Any ideas what mods or whatever I could do to solve this? I am handy and have tools and am fully ready to start drilling rivets but would like to ask the community first thanks.

Squish it down and try to screw it in?

The problem is the opposite it won't move slide upwards after I put it in

i faced the same problem when I was doing my current 900d build.  I could not do it without having to take out the 5.25" bay.  I didn't actually do it because I did a sandwiched rad setup in the basement in stead.  Link to my build is in my sig.  

I have seen others pull it off once you cut out the cage and grind off the plastic trim at the top of the opening..  

My build:  Leviathan  Case: 900D  CPU: i7 3770K (watercooled)  Mobo: Z77X-UD5H GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Hydro Copper GPU: MSI GTX 780 watercooled PSU: EVGA 1300W G2  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengance  HDDs: 1 x 120 GB Intel 330 SSD (OS X); 1 x 256 GB Samsung 840 pro (Windows 8); 2 x 2TB Seagate Barracuda (RAID 0 Data OS X); 1 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda (OS X backups)  Monitors: 1 x 24" Apple LED Cinema (center); 2 x 23" Apple LED Cinema (surround)  Watercooling: 3 rads, CPU, GPU, GPU, MCP655 pump, Lots of fittings, EK reservoir, EK UV Blue coolant.  Updated build: Leviathan 2.0

i faced the same problem when I was doing my current 900d build. I could not do it without having to take out the 5.25" bay. I didn't actually do it because I did a sandwiched rad setup in the basement in stead. Link to my build is in my sig.

I have seen others pull it off once you cut out the cage and grind off the plastic trim at the top of the opening..

Ahhh thanks for this do you have any links to the builds? I am okay with cutting out the bottom of the 5.25 with the cutting tool on my Dremel but I am using a fan controller in the middle slot, could I maybe still do this?

I'll have to look through my old research posts.  Lots of stuff on OCN but I don't have them bookmarked anymore since I completed the build.  If I find them I'll post back here.

You can still do it.  Just cut out the bottom slot.  Should give you all the room you need.  Are you going to run the fans in a push or pull setup on the front rad?

My build:  Leviathan  Case: 900D  CPU: i7 3770K (watercooled)  Mobo: Z77X-UD5H GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Hydro Copper GPU: MSI GTX 780 watercooled PSU: EVGA 1300W G2  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengance  HDDs: 1 x 120 GB Intel 330 SSD (OS X); 1 x 256 GB Samsung 840 pro (Windows 8); 2 x 2TB Seagate Barracuda (RAID 0 Data OS X); 1 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda (OS X backups)  Monitors: 1 x 24" Apple LED Cinema (center); 2 x 23" Apple LED Cinema (surround)  Watercooling: 3 rads, CPU, GPU, GPU, MCP655 pump, Lots of fittings, EK reservoir, EK UV Blue coolant.  Updated build: Leviathan 2.0

I'll have to look through my old research posts. Lots of stuff on OCN but I don't have them bookmarked anymore since I completed the build. If I find them I'll post back here.

You can still do it. Just cut out the bottom slot. Should give you all the room you need. Are you going to run the fans in a push or pull setup on the front rad?

I suppose I will run the fans in push since there won't be any room in the basement of the case with the 2 radiators already occupying the space. I think cutting out the bottom slot would give ample room I will probably also have to cut off the bottom bracket/rivet area securing the bottom of the cage to the rest of the chassis.