Using an external SSD for long term storage

I was just watching Linuses new video about the new Angelbird SSD2go Pocket (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBB410_3tMk) and it got me wondering about a few things.

Would this product be useful for storing pictures and videos for a very long time? I dont trust any mechanical hard drives with my family photos because they are not very durable and are prone to failure.

I currently store my pictures on 2 usb sticks and replace the oldest one every 2 years that way if one fails I have a backup. Would this product be a better replacement for what I am doing now?

It kinda depends on the storage conditions. If you're constantly moving the storage medium around, then the ssd is probably more reliable. If you're putting files/data on the drives then putting it on a shelf, a mechanical hdd would provide you more storage and is durable enough to keep for a long time. 

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

For storage you're better off going hdd got capacity. It's much more cost effective and if anything gets corrupted or lost you have a chance of potentially restoring data.

Flash media has limited data retention (jedec spec defines 1 year at fresh cell) so its not really suited for longterm storage. HDD or magnetic tapes are the way to go.

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Glorious PC master gaming race :wub: ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570k, 8GB Ram, Intel 180GB & Sammy 750GB, HD4000, W7
PiBox: Rasberry Pi, BCM @ 1225Mhz ^_^ , 256MB Ram, 16GB Storage, pIO, Raspbian

Wow the 90s called... didn't think anyone still used tape for backups :P

10s called, they want data retention back.

tapes are still widely used for backup. But that stuff is pretty expensive and is only meant for cold storage.

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Glorious PC master gaming race :wub: ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570k, 8GB Ram, Intel 180GB & Sammy 750GB, HD4000, W7
PiBox: Rasberry Pi, BCM @ 1225Mhz ^_^ , 256MB Ram, 16GB Storage, pIO, Raspbian

Hey there onlyoncloud9,

My personal opinion is that HDD is better than SSD (for now) for long-term storage. Maybe the strongest argument is how data is stored on the two types of drives. While HDDs use magnetic coating on metal platters while SSD use NAND cells that store data via electrical charges. The problem with SSDs are that those cells are physically "dying" or losing their charge over time while it's much harder for a magnetic written data to go away. While HDDs are more susceptible to vibrations, heat or scratches, SSDs are far more vulnerable to static electricity (quite common in households) and simply wear off by themselves. There are options that are still being developed to maximize the storage time and resistance of SSDs but for now, this is the case.

Overall, HDDs are safer for really long-term storage if you just put them aside, SSDs are good for portable storage to carry around but not for a long time without refreshing the data inside :)

Hope this clears it up,

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/