Amp/Dac for HE-500s

FlashingKool_Z
Go to solution Solved by BoltActionWaffle,

I'm just worried the o2/odac won't be sufficent for the he-500s, I've read several Head-Fi articles regarding amp/dac for them, and almost all of them were like 1000+

Well, Head-Fi is Head-Fi. I've been using my HE-560s with the O2 + ODAC, and they're great, though I wouldn't know if I'm missing anything really. 

Title says it all. Budget is up to $500, but below $400 is preferable. 

O2/ODAC combo. Or wait a while until they release the ODA. 

Alternatively, find a tube amp or tube dac, for a distinct tone nuance...

O2/ODAC combo. Or wait a while until they release the ODA. 

Alternatively, find a tube amp or tube dac, for a distinct tone nuance...

Any better ones within my budget? 

For the money, not really. Unless there's something I haven't heard of something amazing for around $400. Like Creatip said, if you would like a different sound, maybe look for a tube amp/dac. 

For the money, not really. Unless there's something I haven't heard of something amazing for around $400. Like Creatip said, if you would like a different sound, maybe look for a tube amp/dac. 

I've heard great things about these : http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm

Do you know about them? 

I've seen them before, but I've never used them personally. I've heard they perform just as well as the O2 + ODAC, but I may be wrong. 

I'm just worried the o2/odac won't be sufficent for the he-500s, I've read several Head-Fi articles regarding amp/dac for them, and almost all of them were like 1000+

Well, Head-Fi is Head-Fi. I've been using my HE-560s with the O2 + ODAC, and they're great, though I wouldn't know if I'm missing anything really. 

Ok, my wallet is ready

If you got spare time, try googling and finding a bit more about the O2's history. It's originally designed by this genius guy known as nwavguy. The performance is equal, or even surpass thousand dollars amps. Of course, head-fi being head-fi, he got lots of critics, but both his test data and real life application say otherwise. A bit understandable, no person that have shelled out thousands of dollars worth of amp would just accept the fact that a $150 amp could perform just as good, or better than his amp....

If you got spare time, try googling and finding a bit more about the O2's history. It's originally designed by this genius guy known as nwavguy. The performance is equal, or even surpass thousand dollars amps. Of course, head-fi being head-fi, he got lots of critics, but both his test data and real life application say otherwise. A bit understandable, no person that have shelled out thousands of dollars worth of amp would just accept the fact that a $150 amp could perform just as good, or better than his amp....

Well... I actaully know about nwavguy already and I know the pretty much all you really need to know about the O2/ODAC, but I just have no experience with Orthodynamic headphones and what amp/dac would be adequate for them. Ordered the O2/ODAC combo from mayflowerelectronics already, so I guess I'll find out. 

Well... I actaully know about nwavguy already and I know the pretty much all you really need to know about the O2/ODAC, but I just have no experience with Orthodynamic headphones and what amp/dac would be adequate for them. Ordered the O2/ODAC combo from mayflowerelectronics already, so I guess I'll find out. 

Seek @Lays and @Dark_wizzie then, they're both using O2 for their LCD-2 and LCD-X

Seek @Lays and @Dark_wizzie then, they're both using O2 for their LCD-2 and LCD-X

Okay thanks! 

Edit : I just found out he also had a pair of HE-500s as well, so I'll be asking about his experience with that as well

Okay thanks!

Edit : I just found out he also had a pair of HE-500s as well, so I'll be asking about his experience with that as well

The he500 had quite a bit of neutrality with the o2, it sometimes made me want the treble to be not quite so prevalent. I liked it a lot though, but I sold them for lcd2s because I liked the fit and comfort as well as a tad bit more bass.

Headfi has a tendency to overhype expensive gear and not give as much thought to low/mid range stuff, use it with caution!

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I've been summoned for the first time!  :)

You can calculate the required power as follows:

10^((115-89)/10) = 398mw

115 is the loudness of the headphone. 115db is very close to causing immediate ear pain. It's stupid to listen to anything louder, even during peaks on audiophile recordings. The 89 is 89 db/mw, which is the rated efficiency of the headphone. The impedance is 38ohms. You can find the efficiency and the impedance of the headphone simply by Googling its specs.

O2 is rated to be able to push out 613mW at 33ohms. Therefore, the O2 can power the HE500s no problem.

I hope this post sticks with you, because now you have the tools to calculate how much power you need.

Barnacules used the HE500 + O2 setup and mirrors my opinions. The LCDX I used with my O2 is more sensitive (read: easier to drive) than the HE500s, but the LCDX was actually so easy to drive I had to lower the volume knob so low, it was causing channel imbalance issues. (Fixable easily by lowering the volume from max in Windows)

Cheers

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

I wonder why sheerme hates mentioning so much xD

Shearme hasn't been sheered in far too long. That's gotta be it.  :)

Newer audio sub member may not know about the famous sheep....

I wonder why sheerme hates mentioning so much xD

Problem is, don't just mention or summon him here, without some explanations, or some more wording in the post.

Do:

- I don't know much about HE-500, but @Lays had one, so maybe ask him what he thinks about it

- I have no experience with the O2, but @Dark_wizzie got one, so just wait for him to post here

Don't:

- @Lays, thread for you

- @Lays, help out here

- Most definitely DON'T: @Lays.....

Newer audio sub member may not know about the famous sheep....

Problem is, don't just mention or summon him here, without some explanations, or some more wording in the post.

Do:

- I don't know much about HE-500, but @Lays had one, so maybe ask him what he thinks about it

- I have no experience with the O2, but @Dark_wizzie got one, so just wait for him to post here

Don't:

- @Lays, thread for you

- @Lays, help out here

- Most definitely DON'T: @Lays.....

Yup, still pretty new to these forums haha. :). Now I know what's acceptable.

Now you know how much I love you..... :wub:

action-money-block-yi-bud-bud-content-ca

Now that Emorarity hasn't posted for like 3 whole days, the SSL and Emorarity prom is over, now it's the Wizzie and Creatip lovefest.  :D

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Now that Emorarity hasn't posted for like 3 whole days, the SSL and Emorarity prom is over, now it's the Wizzie and Creatip lovefest.  :D

This is hilarious and shuddering at the same time...