Twitch or Youtube?

Hey everyone just got a small "problem" deciding how to go about this. I currently have both a youtube and twitch account, one is for videos and one is for livestreaming (obviously). The main question is how would i decide which games to livestream and which to make into youtube video's in the form of let's plays/walkthroughs/etc?

Personally i enjoy livestreaming more than making youtube videos simply due to nature of being able to start up a game and stream it almost right away, while recording a youtube vid takes a lot more time for both the recording/commentating and then editting. This doesn't mean i don't want to stop youtube, it seems that it's easier to grow a the number of subscribers/viewers on youtube than on twitch and so it makes sense to keep making videos. But as i've started off this post, i have no clue which games i should livestream or record, i have no intentions of playing a game twice through and most games are great on either platform in my opinion.

One solution i currently can think of is record a video while i livestream and essentially upload a shortened or montage video of the livestream. This probably won't come off as great to youtube viewers since there is a difference in expectations in how a let's play or playthrough should be presented on youtube. Another issue with that idea is how taxing it will be on my system. I'm sure i could pull it off but i'm more concerned about how it would work out if i upload videos that are basically ripped straight out of my own livestreams. So another question to you guys would be would you watch a shortened video of a livestream made into a youtube video, meaning cuts here and there to make it more a let's play/playthrough or even just a montage?

Any help or suggestions to this little dilemma of mines would be most welcome! Thanks in advance! smile.png

Blue Nebula = CPU: Intel i7 4770K @Stock || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 || RAM: 16GB 1600Mhz Corsair Vengeance LP || GPU: EVGA GTX 780Ti Superclocked @Stock || Mobo: Asus ROG Maximus VI Hero || SSD: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro || HDD: 4x2TB WD Black in Raid10 || PSU: Corsair AX1200i || Case: Coolermaster HAF 932 Advanced || Keyboard: Corsair K70 (MX Blues) || Mouse: Corsair M95 || Mousepad: Razer Goliathus 2013 Extended Speed || Monitors: Eizo Foris FS2333 + Old Samsung monitor || Headset: Beyerdynamic MMX2 || =>My Youtube Gaming Channel<= || =>My Twitch.tv Channel<=

Twitch, then export to YouTube if heavy on Let's Plays. And play games you like/want to play.

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

Some people dont do lets plays on longer game titles/lengths (RPG's/MMO's), and end up doing clips instead, compared to 'The last of us" which is a great story and not overly that long for lets play style video's.

Some others love the long running vids and some don't.

Find what YOU like, put up video's and note what people watching like... and go from there.

Uploading speeds and uploading times may influence your decision too if everything takes too long to achieve, so a smaller subset of clips can be more fruitful than longer single clips.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Thanks for the responses so far!

Seems to me that the majority of responses so far as suggesting that i should just stream on twitch and then upload the past broadcasts onto youtube. However i have yet to receive an answer for the second bolded question which was whether or not you would watch VODs from twitch that have been uploaded to Youtube whether it be editted or not?

Another factor to take into account is that my internet speed unfortunately is only capable of streaming 480p at best so the quality won't be superb, but i personally would say it is bearable. This is where the local recording while streaming might come in handy, to have a local copy of the stream but at 720 or 1080p so that i can use that footage to put onto youtube and not compromise on the quality. Would that be a viable alternative?

Also thankyou for your insight SkilledRebuilds, definitely would make sense not to do Let's plays of long games unless i guess the story is well worth it? I'm currently still experimenting on what viewers would enjoy watching as it is hard to tell with no feedback and i've only got the number of views to go by. But hopefully soon i'll be able to find that sweet spot and capitalise on that :)

Blue Nebula = CPU: Intel i7 4770K @Stock || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 || RAM: 16GB 1600Mhz Corsair Vengeance LP || GPU: EVGA GTX 780Ti Superclocked @Stock || Mobo: Asus ROG Maximus VI Hero || SSD: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro || HDD: 4x2TB WD Black in Raid10 || PSU: Corsair AX1200i || Case: Coolermaster HAF 932 Advanced || Keyboard: Corsair K70 (MX Blues) || Mouse: Corsair M95 || Mousepad: Razer Goliathus 2013 Extended Speed || Monitors: Eizo Foris FS2333 + Old Samsung monitor || Headset: Beyerdynamic MMX2 || =>My Youtube Gaming Channel<= || =>My Twitch.tv Channel<=

To answer your first question, I would say livestream the games that you enjoy the most. This would make sense if you truly enjoy streaming over making YouTube videos. And then for your subordinate games, play those for let's plays on YouTube.

If you're looking for suggestions on games that would be good for livestreaming or YouTube videos I can't really say because I'm not sure what kind of games you enjoy. Recording a video as you livestream and uploading a montage of the livestream to YouTube would also be a fine option. If you choose to do this then I wouldn't recommend tying to make a let's play out of it due to the fundamental differences of doing a let's play on YouTube and recording a livestream on Twitch.

Instead, make a fun montage out of it. This could also be beneficial because I feel as if more people on YouTube would be interested in a montage that's shorter, has all the funny bits, all the cool bits, and all of the captivating bits. Rather then a let's play where they can find thousands of other popular channels that already do it. Making it unlikely that someone will want to click on your specific video and sit through a long let's play.

So a montage would be for the better at attracting an audience. Because this means that if someone clicks on your video, it won't take as long for them to get an idea of what your all about because it's a fun montage, rather than a long let's play where they'd have to watch to a certain point to get to the funny part, or the cool part, or the captivating part. See what I mean?

And if someone watches your montage and enjoys it enough, they'll likely watch the next piece of content that you put out. And on that next video, you might get another person that enjoys the video. And so'll he'll watch the very next piece of content that you put out. Then you'll get a couple of people to watch and enjoy your next video. Making it that much easier to get higher in the search engine. Therefore, making it that much easier for people to find your video. After you repeat this process for awhile, you just might have yourself a decent audience. It may take a long time, but that's just the nature of YouTube nowadays. It's difficult to rise among all of the piles of content that just get's buried.

You'll have to deal with the editing side of things if you make the montages. So, it's up to you to decide if it's worth it. Well, best of luck to you Slater. Hope this helps.  :)

To answer your first question, I would say livestream the games that you enjoy the most. This would make sense if you truly enjoy streaming over making YouTube videos. And then for your subordinate games, play those for let's plays on YouTube.

If you're looking for suggestions on games that would be good for livestreaming or YouTube videos I can't really say because I'm not sure what kind of games you enjoy. Recording a video as you livestream and uploading a montage of the livestream to YouTube would also be a fine option. If you choose to do this then I wouldn't recommend tying to make a let's play out of it due to the fundamental differences of doing a let's play on YouTube and recording a livestream on Twitch.

Instead, make a fun montage out of it. This could also be beneficial because I feel as if more people on YouTube would be interested in a montage that's shorter, has all the funny bits, all the cool bits, and all of the captivating bits. Rather then a let's play where they can find thousands of other popular channels that already do it. Making it unlikely that someone will want to click on your specific video and sit through a long let's play.

So a montage would be for the better at attracting an audience. Because this means that if someone clicks on your video, it won't take as long for them to get an idea of what your all about because it's a fun montage, rather than a long let's play where they'd have to watch to a certain point to get to the funny part, or the cool part, or the captivating part. See what I mean?

And if someone watches your montage and enjoys it enough, they'll likely watch the next piece of content that you put out. And on that next video, you might get another person that enjoys the video. And so'll he'll watch the very next piece of content that you put out. Then you'll get a couple of people to watch and enjoy your next video. Making it that much easier to get higher in the search engine. Therefore, making it that much easier for people to find your video. After you repeat this process for awhile, you just might have yourself a decent audience. It may take a long time, but that's just the nature of YouTube nowadays. It's difficult to rise among all of the piles of content that just get's buried.

You'll have to deal with the editing side of things if you make the montages. So, it's up to you to decide if it's worth it. Well, best of luck to you Slater. Hope this helps.  :)

Thanks for your detailed response, I definitely do prefer livestreaming over making videos for youtube due to the more relaxed nature of it. Youtube these days has some pretty high expectations of videos and it's stressful to think my videos may not make the cut, though i hope they do...

Anyways, i'm not looking for suggestions of what games to livestream or let's play, but the problem is that all the games i choose to play all are pretty enjoyable mainly because i buy and choose games i know i will enjoy so i have fewer games than most but i know i'll enjoy most of them.

Definitely making a montage out of the streams would be best and i think for youtube it would work well as well since as you've pointed out, people are into shorter videos which are entertaining because they're funny, cool or whatnot. It seems people aren't as interested in long let's play series unless you're a well known youtuber. I'm well aware that gaining viewers is a slow process at the beginning but i think it's a snowball effect, once things get rolling it can be hard to stop and that's what i'm hoping for :)

Having said all that thankyou once again for your response it was definitely helpful!