Rant about paying by phone

Avuntia

Yeah and they'll keep them just as safe as those pictures Jennifer Lawrence had! Oh wait...

First of all, that's a false equivalency fallacy, because the numbers are stored locally in the secure enclave of the A8.

Second of all, they had no control over what happened to those pictures, because the accounts were reverse engineered, not brute forced. And even if they had been brute forced, it's still largely the user's fault for not choosing a good password. Lack of brute force protection is an appalling oversight on Apple's part, but that doesn't make weak passwords acceptable and you'd still be safe with a strong one.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Take the condom from your wallet, put you stuff inside and shove it up your ass. Problem solved!

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Your ID are drivers licenses are the same thing and no one puts KEYS and receipts in wallets thats what fukcking pant pockets are for

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I've never felt that way about my wallet - I wear jeans mostly, or a tailored slim fit suit. So no matter what my wallet looks like, if it doesn't fit in my pants (there's limited room in there already) I am uncomfortable and slim wallets never have space for change!

Maybe its just me, but I've never used a wallet as a fashion statement, never known anyone to do the same, and I've never so much as noticed other peoples wallet let alone judged them on it. If you do enjoy just carrying a wallet around, you still can. Even if its just got ID and receipts in it.

A watch is different, as it is a) often necessary (can't always have a phone on while working) and B) a fashion statement.

Using a phone also means one less thing to forget when leaving the house.

And a huge advantage is it can't be as easily scammed - if you have to load an app, no one can just bump an NFC terminal against your pocket and skim your card. 

Another advantage is no one being able to see your card - I don't need people making assumptions about my income if I whip out a platinum Amex or, conversely, a tattered debit card.

To be fair, I wear jeans all the time as well, and suits, and I find that a medium sized wallet fits perfectly in jeans, and it accommodates plenty of space for a decent amount of change, and about 12 cards plus paper money and receipts comfortably... But, that may be because I've grown used to it over the years of always having a wallet on me. However what you said about it being one less thing to forget, if you keep it next to your phone when you get home, or next to where you charge your phone at home or whatever, you don't really forget it because it becomes part of your every-day-gear like your watch. Anyway, that's mainly personal preference though and I can see why you would choose to prefer none. One last thing: we don't really have platinum and conversely cards here, so I don't know how big of an influence that is. Although I'm pretty sure if you whip out the new IPhone (the newest out at that time) versus some budget phone out at that time, it'd be noticeable as well...

Or you could use some logic here (and do your research).

Apple doesn't know the numbers, backup the numbers, or even know what you're buying, where you're buying it from, and so on.

The data is stored ONLY on a secure chip in the phone that nothing has access to without your permission. Period.

First of all, that's a false equivalency fallacy, because the numbers are stored locally in the secure enclave of the A8.

Second of all, they had no control over what happened to those pictures, because the accounts were reverse engineered, not brute forced. And even if they had been brute forced, it's still largely the user's fault for not choosing a good password. Lack of brute force protection is an appalling oversight on Apple's part, but that doesn't make weak passwords acceptable and you'd still be safe with a strong one.

My apologies to the both of you, I had indeed not done any research and wasn't aware that the information was stored locally, but instead went with the assumption it was cloud-based. Besides that though, I still would rather have my information stored solely with the bank, rather than some multi-billionaire corporation. I am aware though that that is a bias statement, because banks could equally be non-trustworthy and abuse/leak sensitive information. 

My apologies to the both of you, I had indeed not done any research and wasn't aware that the information was stored locally, but instead went with the assumption it was cloud-based. Besides that though, I still would rather have my information stored solely with the bank, rather than some multi-billionaire corporation. I am aware though that that is a bias statement, because banks could equally be non-trustworthy and abuse/leak sensitive information. 

That's a perfectly valid opinion, I was just clarifying that your statement was unfounded :P.