Confused on Which SSD to Get

adnank77

Hi ... 

In my new build, I'm planning a total of 1 Terabytes of SSD. 

There are different approaches I'm considering: 

- Two 500 GB SSDs in RAID 0

- Single 1 TB SSD

Three models are in my mind : Samsung 850 Pro, Samsung 840 EVO and Corsair GT

I need help deciding: 

- Which approach is better? I read in forums that SSD scales with capacity so speed of single 1 TB could be equal or better than 2x 500GB in RAID. 

- The 850 Pro seems to be the most advanced (and expensive) one .. is it worth the difference in price ? I don't want to pay just for the name. 

Rig1LianLi O11 Dynamic Evo | Asus Crosshair VIII Formula | Ryzen 9 5950x  | 2TB Gen 4 | 64 GB  RTX 4090 | Samsung 49" 5120x1440 

Rig2: TT Tower 200 | Asus X670e-i | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | 2TB Gen 5 | 64 GB  RTX 4090 | Samsung 57" 7680x2160  | Oculus Quest Pro

Hi ... 

- Single 1 TB SSD

I need help deciding: 

- Which approach is better? I read in forums that SSD scales with capacity so speed of single 1 TB could be equal or better than 2x 500GB in RAID. 

- The 850 Pro seems to be the most advanced (and expensive) one .. is it worth the difference in price ? I don't want to pay just for the name. 

Do you want 1TB storage or just 1TB of SSD's? Since RAID 0 will give you more speed but will also cut down the space by half. And if you do intend to run in RAID 0 keep in mind that if one drive fails you lose the data on both drives. 

I don't know your intentions with your system but the speed provided by 1 SSD without RAID 0 is very high, especailly the preformance of the 850 Pro's. 

Also the Pro's are nice, but if you want to spend a bit less money the EVO's are probably a better choice, so you could pick up 3 drives for instance instead of just 2 (and if you have a RAID card I would say go RAID 5, so you ahve extra speed and redundancy)

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Sidiox .. RAID 0 doesn't cut any space. RAID 1 does that.

All my data is already saved in my Synology NAS which is already on RAID 5

I need this as single partition for Boot, Games and Editing large Video files ..

Rig1LianLi O11 Dynamic Evo | Asus Crosshair VIII Formula | Ryzen 9 5950x  | 2TB Gen 4 | 64 GB  RTX 4090 | Samsung 49" 5120x1440 

Rig2: TT Tower 200 | Asus X670e-i | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | 2TB Gen 5 | 64 GB  RTX 4090 | Samsung 57" 7680x2160  | Oculus Quest Pro

Seeing as your data is backed up and secured you could go with RAID 0. This will probably offer a speed benefit over a single 1TB SSD, but would be more expensive. The 850 Pro will perform excellently without RAID 0 and could save you some money, plus it reduces the potential points of failure. If you have the money and you think you could use the extra speed then a RAID 0 of 840 EVO drives would be very fast.

http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-840-Evo-250GB-vs-Corsair-Neutron-GTX-240GB/1594vs1404

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

Sidiox .. RAID 0 doesn't cut any space. RAID 1 does that.

I need this as single partition for Boot, Games and Editing large Video files ..

Ah yeah srry you are right

As for editing video files, you don't want to use the SSD's as scratch disks but use HDD's for that, since the high amounts of data used by video editing will very quickly wear out even the most expensive SSD drives. 

An SSD is great for your games, OS, and the Editing software it self though (I myself have the Adobe Suite on the SSD with my HDD set as scratch disk) 

You could use the SSD's as scratch drives, but then you would most certainly have to use the Pro ones, since those can handle the most read/writes

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

for that kind of money, you can almost get 3-4 mx100 512GB

Put all of them in raid0 and it destroyes everything and also has more space

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Glorious PC master gaming race :wub: ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570k, 8GB Ram, Intel 180GB & Sammy 750GB, HD4000, W7
PiBox: Rasberry Pi, BCM @ 1225Mhz ^_^ , 256MB Ram, 16GB Storage, pIO, Raspbian

How are Corsair GT or Neutron SSDs from performance point ? If RAID will give me enough performance to compare with 850 Pro, I prefer going this path maintaining my Black/Red colors ..

How are Corsair GT or Neutron SSDs from performance point ? If RAID will give me enough performance to compare with 850 Pro, I prefer going this path maintaining my Black/Red colors ..

gts are garbage (sandforce) neutron are meh for the money.

Really, seeing how cheap crucials are, you could really go for 4 way raid0 :)

gts are garbage (sandforce) neutron are meh for the money.

Really, seeing how cheap crucials are, you could really go for 4 way raid0 :)

My reason may sound funny .. but I don't want the Crucial for the looks .. I want to maintain the Black/Red theme .. Even the Evo was a big doubt in this .. 

I'll see my budget and probably go for a single 850 Pro 1 TB

My reason may sound funny .. but I don't want the Crucial for the looks .. I want to maintain the Black/Red theme .. Even the Evo was a big doubt in this .. 

I'll see my budget and probably go for a single 850 Pro 1 TB

Whats stopping you from painting them?

I picked up a 250gb Samsung evo earlier this week and love it. Couldn't imagine having it in a Raid 0 config.

Yup paint them. Just going for one ssd only for its color is pretty insane.

Hi ... 

- Single 1 TB SSD

I need help deciding: 

None of those drives have power loss protection or good end-to-end data protection.

I would recommend the M550 if you want a single 1TB drive which has power loss protection (also has RAIN which is a great feature). It's also very competitively priced.

If you decide on two 512GB drives in RAID 0, then I would recommend the MX100 -- one of the most competitively priced drives out there and comes with power loss protection.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking