Adding adaptors to a PSU

Mandhlenkhosi

Hey guys!

So I don't plan to do this any time soon, only when I upgrade my rig (when DDR4 RAM is cheaper), but I've always wondered if adding adaptors is bad to your PSU. I'd assume if you don't use more power than you should, then you'd be fine, right?

But I read that they come with a certain amount of connectors for a reason, and that adding more is bad for them. Is this true?

Thanks a bunch!

the number of PCI express connectors is based on the suggested # and power of GPUs they suggest with that PSU. if you need to plug in more hard drives etc it isn't bad to use adapters. the only adapter I wouldn't advise using is a molex to PCIe power. if your power supply only has one PCIe power, then you probably shouldn't be using a 150W+ graphics card as it's 12v rail may not be able to support a full system like that.

the number of PCI express connectors is based on the suggested # and power of GPUs they suggest with that PSU. if you need to plug in more hard drives etc it isn't bad to use adapters. the only adapter I wouldn't advise using is a molex to PCIe power. if your power supply only has one PCIe power, then you probably shouldn't be using a 150W+ graphics card as it's 12v rail may not be able to support a full system like that.

So you'd suggest avoiding Molex to PCIe adapters, but generally others are fine?

I'd presume that's because other devices aren't so power hungry.

So you'd suggest avoiding Molex to PCIe adapters, but generally others are fine?

I'd presume that's because other devices aren't so power hungry.

your presumptions are correct. if your system requires more CPU power conectors (EPS 12V) or PCIe connectors than your power supply has, you should upgrade your Power supply, but peripheral devices such as fans, hard drives, water pumps etc. can be powered by adapters as long as you don't have a crazy setup.

if you have any more questions about anything, feel free to PM me on the forum or quote me in a post with your question and I will help the best as I can.

your presumptions are correct. if your system requires more CPU power conectors (EPS 12V) or PCIe connectors than your power supply has, you should upgrade your Power supply, but peripheral devices such as fans, hard drives, water pumps etc. can be powered by adapters as long as you don't have a crazy setup.

Ok thanks! Really helpful! 

Another question

Seeing as you want a high voltage if you're using a lot of devices, would a PSU with multiple rails help with that?

I think you get those but I'm not sure. Say you had two 12v rails, would that mean you can plug twice as much in compared to a single rail. This is presuming you have enough wattage.

if you have any more questions about anything, feel free to PM me on the forum or quote me in a post with your question and I will help the best as I can.

Thank you!  :)

Due to the imperfect contacts, adapters / extensions will cause some voltage drop due to higher resistance. This cause more current to pass through the cables as well as produce heat. Often times, the resistance is marginal; otherwise, we wouldn't have modular PSUs. However, the quality of some adapters / extensions can be low and offering poor contact, which can result in burn connectors.

Ideally, when purchasing a PSU, try to get a PSU with the appropriate native connectors in the first place. Of course, if you already got a PSU that has insufficent connectors and you know that your PSU can handle it (the TX650v2 only had two PEG connectors, despite other 650w units that based on the same platform internally has four), you can used adapters. Just ensure that the connectors is properly seated.

Multiple rail power supplies need to have components spread equally across all plugs on the power supply, Single rails do not.

A single rail will deliver its full amperage across all cables, a multiple rail will split it across 2 groups of cables.

Therefore using good quality adapters on a single rail power supply should not be an issue, though I would never recommend it :)

Thanks guys! Really helpful, now I can go look for power supplies I'll never afford *cry*