x99 worth it?

Hi all, I would like some advice on a new build, I currently have a fx6100 cpu which I plan to upgrade to either 4790k or the 5820k.

If I go with the 5820k I will have to spend more money on a mobo and ram but the performance increase is nice considering the cpu alone is under £50 more.

So basically my question is, should I go all out and get the 5820k with a mobo and ddr4 or should I save some money and go with x97 and the 4790k.

I am getting a new case, mobo, cpu, and a new cooler for the cpu (corsair h100).

I have £1000 to spend on new stuff, so I would like to know if its possible in that price range for the 5820k, a x99 mobo, and atleast 16gb of ddr4, and a new case (around £100).

Thanks a lot.

edit: Uses for tthe build will be mainly photoshop, dreamweaver, fl studio and gaming.

Hell no it isn't WORTH it, early adoption never is :P

If you want to be efficient you always wait for it to mature a bit.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

What work dot it need to do wig the computer? Just gaming? Don't get either of those if so, get a 4690k.

Diamond 5 in League :)

Hi all, I would like some advice on a new build, I currently have a fx6100 cpu which I plan to upgrade to either 4790k or the 5820k. If I go with the 5820k I will have to spend more money on a mobo and ram but the performance increase is nice considering the cpu alone is under £50 more.

So basically my question is, should I go all out and get the 5820k with a mobo and ddr4 or should I save some money and go with x97 and the 4790k.

I am getting a new case, mobo, cpu, and a new cooler for the cpu (corsair h100). I have £1000 to spend on new stuff, so I would like to know if its possible in that price range for the 5820k, a x99 mobo, and atleast 16gb of ddr4, and a new case (around £100).

Thanks a lot.

Hello Wiggywu, I would stress & highly recommend to go with haswell-refresh over the X99 platform. You could probably get away with using the 5820K since it's the lowest tier i7 on the 2011-3 socket but the cost of ram is quite substantial depending on which quad channel kit with higher then 2133mhz. Motherboards that have decent features are still essentially expensive.

I'm not sure what your use-case scenario is but please the next-time you post a thread regarding a new build read this informative guide by Windspeed36; link here : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Hello Wiggywu, I would stress & highly recommend to go with haswell-refresh over the X99 platform. You could probably get away with using the 5820K since it's the lowest tier i7 on the 2011-3 socket but the cost of ram is quite substantial depending on which quad channel kit with higher then 2133mhz. Motherboards that have decent features are still essentially expensive.

I'm not sure what your use-case scenario is but please the next-time you post a thread regarding a new build read this informative guide by Windspeed36; link here : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/

Sorry I was actually going to edit and put my use's for the build there, mainly photoshop, dreamweaver, fl studio and gaming so I don't know how much I would use the extra power. 

Thanks!

edit: Uses for tthe build will be mainly photoshop, dreamweaver, fl studio and gaming.

4790K will do that just fine mate, get the saved money toward better GPU(s)

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

4790K will do that just fine mate, get the saved money toward better GPU(s)

Thanks dude will do, will be down the line a few months before i upgrade the gpu was thinking about waiting for the 980 ect but not sure.

Well are you playing games, running servers, rendering, streaming or trying to do this all at once? X99 IS NOT for gaming unless you just wanna throw buckets of cash at your computer. X99 is intend for more advanced users. The only way i could see this being used for gaming to to run a VM of each game you own so you don't have to wait for load times....IDK if that would even work but that would be cool