Corsair M65 weight snapped off

mvitkun

I'm not entirely sure what caused it but somehow the base that the weight screws into snapped off, with the weight inside it.

IMG_6161_zpsb5837d64.jpg?t=1410374533

IMG_6162_zps015a7dde.jpg?t=1410374529

IMG_6157_zps950a8377.jpg?t=1410374525

Now if I had been messing with the weight recently then it'd make sense to believe that I mishandled it in some way, however I haven't touched the weights since the day I bought the mouse where I decided to try to see how it'd feel with some of them off.

The mouse itself hasn't been dropped or anything.

Find it really weird that this would happen.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

I'm not entirely sure what caused it but somehow the base that the weight screws into snapped off, with the weight inside it.

IMG_6161_zpsb5837d64.jpg?t=1410374533

IMG_6162_zps015a7dde.jpg?t=1410374529

IMG_6157_zps950a8377.jpg?t=1410374525

Now if I had been messing with the weight recently then it'd make sense to believe that I mishandled it in some way, however I haven't touched the weights since the day I bought the mouse where I decided to try to see how it'd feel with some of them off.

The mouse itself hasn't been dropped or anything.

Find it really weird that this would happen.

It looks like the receiving nut is press fit into place and it came loose or wasn't press fit into the correctly, I have a M65 and removed and installed weights countless times when I first got it to test all the different configurations and never experience a problem like that. As for a DIY fix you could probably press the nut back into place with some CA glueor super glue to hold it from coming out again before reinstalling the weights.

It looks like the receiving nut is press fit into place and it came loose or wasn't press fit into the correctly, I have a M65 and removed and installed weights countless times when I first got it to test all the different configurations and never experience a problem like that. As for a DIY fix you could probably press the nut back into place with some CA glueor super glue to hold it from coming out again before reinstalling the weights.

Not really looking to fix it, the reason I never touched the weights was that individually they're too light to notice any difference IMO, even using it right now without the weight or cover on it I notice no difference in the mouse.

I only notice some difference if I remove all of them and even then the difference isn't as significant as I'd like.

I'm just somewhat disappointed that it broke, I mean my mice up until now have been cheap (<$10) mice and an OEM mouse from a gateway prebuilt pc that came with a much more satisfying  weight, all my mice until now have lasted a minimum of 2 years before something went wrong. The gateway mouse lasted around 4-5 years, at which point the plastic molding for the right  and left click that would make contact with the actually right and left click buttons broke off multiple times before I gave up on  fixing it.

And now I buy a mouse that prides itself on high quality construction and it can't last a single year.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

I had the same happen with my M40. Luckily for me, I prefer light mouse and don't use the weights.

I had the same happen with my M40. Luckily for me, I prefer light mouse and don't use the weights.

I prefer heavier mice, but like I said in my last comment I don't notice the weight difference from removing the weights.

Linus Sebastian said:

Not really looking to fix it, the reason I never touched the weights was that individually they're too light to notice any difference IMO, even using it right now without the weight or cover on it I notice no difference in the mouse.

I only notice some difference if I remove all of them and even then the difference isn't as significant as I'd like.

I'm just somewhat disappointed that it broke, I mean my mice up until now have been cheap (<$10) mice and an OEM mouse from a gateway prebuilt pc that came with a much more satisfying  weight, all my mouse until now have lasted a minimum of 2 years before something went wrong. The gateway mouse lasted around 4-5 years, at which point the plastic molding for the right  and left click that would make contact with the actually right and left click buttons broke off multiple times before I gave up on  fixing it.

And now I buy a mouse that prides itself on high quality construction and it can't last a single year.

I understand what you mean it should be built like the way you paid for it to be built and last, I guess I'll have to keep an eye out and see if my M65 will have the issue come up later on. Just one thing did you really tighten down on plugs that hold in the weights since that may be a reason why it may have pull out the nut.

Just one thing did you really tighten down on plugs that hold in the weights since that may be a reason why it may have pull out the nut.

Are you asking if I over-tightened the plugs or if I left them too loose?

Can't tell by the phrasing.

I don't recall using any force to tighten them when putting the weights back in, I just turned it with a screwdriver until the base of the cover/plug  was secure and flush with the mouse base.

Linus Sebastian said:

Are you asking if I over-tightened the plugs or if I left them too loose?

Can't tell by the phrasing.

I don't recall using any force to tighten them when putting the weights back in, I just turned it with a screwdriver until the base of the cover/plug  was secure and flush with the mouse base.

Yeah over tightening that would have been a better word to use.

Yeah over tightening that would have been a better word to use.

That'd be the logical cause of this problem but the cover/plug went in smoothly and I can't recall having to use any force to screw it in.

Not really all that upset about this.

On the one hand I expected more from this mouse, but on the other I understand that this defect is probably limited to quite a small number of mice. 

Linus Sebastian said:

That'd be the logical cause of this problem but the cover/plug went in smoothly and I can't recall having to use any force to screw it in.

Not really all that upset about this.

On the one hand I expected more from this mouse, but on the other I understand that this defect is probably limited to quite a small number of mice. 

Just kind of unfortunate, but speaking of issues have you guys had any problems with the logo on your M65 coming off, my mouse only has an outline of what used to be the corsair logo in that grippy rubber coating.

Just kind of unfortunate, but speaking of issues have you guys had any problems with the logo on your M65 coming off, my mouse only has an outline of what used to be the corsair logo in that grippy rubber coating.

How long have you had your mouse?

Like I said I've only had mine for a few months, I think I bought it in March, not entirely sure.

Anyway the logo is still clear as the day I first got it.

Are your hands often greasy/oily/sweaty?

I would think that the more oily the mouse gets the faster any graphics printed onto the rubbery coating would rub off.

Linus Sebastian said:

How long have you had your mouse?

Like I said I've only had mine for a few months, I think I bought it in March, not entirely sure.

Anyway the logo is still clear as the day I first got it.

Are your hands often greasy/oily/sweaty?

I would think that the more oily the mouse gets the faster any graphics printed onto the rubbery coating would rub off.

It's been jsut over a year now, the coating itself is really durable since none of it seems to be coming off it's just the logo that came off, I try to keep it clean for the most part but I think might just be normal wear overtime