Too many choices. I Need guidance!

HectorPunch

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum but have been watching linustechtips videos for a year or so now so I thought this would be a good place to come!

My girlfriend has decided that she wants to buy me a new Monitor for my birthday (best girlfriend ever!). The budget is around £350 - £400 like the Benq xl2720z http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-098-BQ&groupid=17&catid=1120 .

My problem is I'm not sure if something like that will be wasted on me and I should look at cheaper monitors and other upgrades insted.

I play any game that interests me, FPS, RPG, RTS whatever. Its all about the experiance, gameplay, great visuals and immersion for me when playing.

My current set up is:
Monitor: Hp 22" 16:10 at 1680x1050

PC: Intel i5 3450, 8gb ram, GTX 760, 128gb ssd (OS and some games) 1tb hdd (storage)

My PC is pretty much all for gaming as most of my general internet usage like youtube and netflix etc (and extras like music production) is done on my 27" iMac at 1440p.

Now all that is out of the way here are my options. Getting a 24" or 27" 1080p gaming monitor eg the benq xl2720z. A 27" 1440p monitor and just play at 1080p and upgrade my gfx later, or one of those 21:9 ultra wide monitors as they have kind of caught my eye. Or just get a cheaper 1080p display and a new gfx card or something.

I would really appreciate any input and other suggestions!

Tried different size screens, up to a 52" TV.  The sweet spot for me, is 24". Otherwise you'll end up having to turn your head too much, which isn't ideal imo.

Also, there's the whole IPS vs TN panel debate.

I've been quite happy with TN panels, especially since i like to play Counter Strike, and don't want any screen ghosting.

If you do get a 24", used the saved cash for a decent aftermarket cooler, and OC your chip as much as you can. It's a bit too costly to swap it for an i5 4690k, but if you were willing to sell your chip and upgrade, you could then OC it later down the line. The other option is to upgrade your GPU, but since you mainly play RTS, OC'ing your chip, or replacing it with something better would be most ideal.

One final note - no point getting a 144hz monitor unless your rig can pump out a constant 144fps, preferably at the screen's native resolution.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

welcome to the forum 

the BenQ monitors a fine choice however the 760 may struggle at that refresh rate so id say upgrade it some time if you want to play at 144hz. use the quote button if you have anymore questions 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

The sweet spot for me, is 24". Otherwise you'll end up having to turn your head too much, which isn't ideal imo.

the BenQ monitors a fine choice however the 760 may struggle at that refresh rate so id say upgrade it some time if you want to play at 144hz

Thanks for the replies guys. The 24" benq xl2420z looks like it may fit the bill. Good dpi and I can upgrade my gfx at some point to go with the 144hz. I think i was looking at the 27" monitors because I just saw a bigger number! I play lots of different games like I said. Currently its been CS:GO, Skyrim, tomb raider and the witcher 2. Any thoughts on the 29" 21:9 1080p monitors?

welcome to the forum 

the BenQ monitors a fine choice however the 760 may struggle at that refresh rate so id say upgrade it some time if you want to play at 144hz. use the quote button if you have anymore questions 

I just found this and im wondering if its worth it with the g sync for £348? Is AOC a good brand? I plan on keeping this next monitor for a good few years so reliability is key.

I just found this and im wondering if its worth it with the g sync for £348? Is AOC a good brand? I plan on keeping this next monitor for a good few years so reliability is key.

eh g syncs still pretty expensive but its up to you, as for AOC they have been around for a while personally i'm an asus and benq fan  

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

eh g syncs still pretty expensive but its up to you, as for AOC they have been around for a while personally i'm an asus and benq fan

It does seem a bit pricy. Think I will go with the benq!

I recommended a monitor at work based on a monitor that Linus reviewed. I received the monitor that I requested Tuesday... OMG! Linus was absolutely correct. The LG 29UM65 is FREAKING amazing!

AMD RYZEN 7 5800X3D \ Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite \  32GB 3600 G.SKILL Neo \  Gigabyte RTX 4080 Gaming OC \  Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo \  NVMe 2TB Samsung 990 Pro, SATA 4TB Samsung 970 Evo  \  WINDOWS 11 PRO 

It never troubles the wolf how many the sheep may be. ~Publius Vergilius Maro circa 50BC

I recommended a monitor at work based on a monitor that Linus reviewed. I received the monitor that I requested Tuesday... OMG! Linus was absolutely correct. The LG 29UM65 is FREAKING amazing!

I am really tempted by these but I'm worried that the novelty would wear off.