A Question about a DIY Amp (Schematics Included)

DigitalHermit

Hey there,

I found a DIY 60W stereo amp kit for around 12USD here...

Schematics: (Please don't mind the red circle, I just pulled it off a different forum with someone asking for help assembling the thing.)

a0edf7cd9a.jpg

I am confident with my soldering skills, but I need insight on this one, especially on that MIC-602 solid state amplifier...

I haven't bought the kit yet, but I'm considering getting it... Capacitors are no-names (I think... The bag was sealed but I expect second/third tier capacitors...)

Any idea of the audio quality that I should expect to get?

Can't seem to find any info on that IC. I recommend buying another kit, something with a known and trusted amplifier chip.

Also, it's a very complicated schematic for a beginner (?)

The TPA3122 DIY kit from Sure-Hifi is my favorite.

You can also get LM386, TDA2030A or LM3886TF based PCB's.

My favorite pre-assembled are TA2024's and TDA7297's.

Power bank capacitors don't have much influence on the sound, ones that are in the audio path do.

Upgrading to Wima's for example can change the sound noticably.

Can't seem to find any info on that IC. I recommend buying another kit, something with a known and trusted amplifier chip.

Also, it's a very complicated schematic for a beginner (?)

The TPA3122 DIY kit from Sure-Hifi is my favorite.

You can also get LM386, TDA2030A or LM3886TF based PCB's.

My favorite pre-assembled are TA2024's and TDA7297's.

Power bank capacitors don't have much influence on the sound, ones that are in the audio path do.

Upgrading to Wima's for example can change the sound noticably.

I'll look around for those (might lead me to the shadier areas of the capital since there are no online shopping options available here)... My max budget is only around 15USD for a DIY though... It's just something to drive a pair of speakers that I have lying around...

Are you looking for DIY kits because you think they are cheaper? Because they often aren't.

Look for amp boards on eBay, free shipping: TA2024 (6 dollar), TDA7297 (3 dollar)

Do you already have a PSU?

Edit: Wait, you can't shop online? How is that possible while having acces to LTT?

Are you looking for DIY kits because you think they are cheaper? Because they often aren't.

Look for amp boards on eBay, free shipping: TA2024 (6 dollar), TDA7297 (3 dollar)

Do you already have a PSU?

Edit: Wait, you can't shop online? How is that possible while having acces to LTT?

I'm looking for a DIY for some additional experience... I built a low-powered mono amp before and I wanted to try doing something stereo... The kit was just something I found on the way home...

I have a Newstar DC supply lying around (not sure about the ratings)...

No online shopping since I don't have a credit card and the shops don't deliver to my country (not without paying for forwarding, customs, and the initial shipping fee, all of which could double (or in the worst case triple) the cost of the product)...

Can you get paypal? Then shop on eBay. Anything under 22 dollar shouldn't cost anything extra. So it really is only 3-6 dollars for an amplifier, delivered to your doorstep.

Can you check the specs on the PSU (volts, amperes)? Pretty important when shopping for a DIY kit.

Can you get paypal? Then shop on eBay. Anything under 22 dollar shouldn't cost anything extra. So it really is only 3-6 dollars for an amplifier, delivered to your doorstep.

Can you check the specs on the PSU (volts, amperes)? Pretty important when shopping for a DIY kit.

Can't get paypal and don't trust ebay... Banks are asking too much to open an account...

I don't have the PSU with me right now but I'll check...

I think these things are used on cheap-ish car audio here...

Also like I said, even if they ship here, there's a bunch of overhead charges aside from shipping that I need to pay and I'm away from home most of the time... Other than the fact that things get lost in the mail pretty often here...

Well, it'll be either this or one of the cheaper units that come built-in with an FM radio and MP3 player...

Paypal is one of the best and most used international payment service in the world. eBay is amazing, they deal with problems very quickly.

Sellers there are very helpful and give refunds if your item didn't arrive (working).

There shouldn't be any charges if the item is below 22 dollars or so. Maybe you can search for other peoples experience with ebay/paypal in your country.

But OK, if you don't want to... you don't want to. No problem, The schematic above doesn't look amazing, but should do the trick.

Paypal is one of the best and most used international payment service in the world. eBay is amazing, they deal with problems very quickly.

Sellers there are very helpful and give refunds if your item didn't arrive (working).

There shouldn't be any charges if the item is below 22 dollars or so. Maybe you can search for other peoples experience with ebay/paypal in your country.

But OK, if you don't want to... you don't want to. No problem, The schematic above doesn't look amazing, but should do the trick.

Thanks for the input...

I might go get a paypal account once I raise enough funds to open up a debit account with one of the more stable banks here...

That hobby could turn out to be a thing. There are some guys here that sell DIY amps, from CMOY to tubes. They're using good presentations, like acrylic or wooden boxes that attracts buyers. Even I'm tempted on buying an acrylic CMOY (but I don't need it, so gotta draw a line somewhere :) )

This guy even made a solid resin CMOY, that's absolutely beautiful: http://www.instructables.com/id/Crystal-cMoy-Free-Form-Headphone-Amplifier