Onboard + Dedicated at same time?

Wano97

I ripped my HDMI cable apart out of frustration so I'm forced to use my VGA cable. The thing is the 780 doesn't support VGA, so I know that I can use my Onboard and my 780 as the same time. (780 for main monitor, onboard for second monitor)

Are there any downsides to this?

Not really, no. Just remember when you need to use Nvidia's software and when you need to use Intel's to change settings.

Ryzen 5 1500x, Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4, GA-AB350N, 16GB 1600Mhz, EVGA GTX 970, 250GB Samsung 960 Evo, 120GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB WD Green & 2TB Seagate Barracuda. 650w OCZ ZX & Cooler Master Elite 130. Acer CB241HQK 4K, LG IPS234V-PN 1080p, Ducky Zero Shine All Blue/Anne Pro Brown/SteelSeries Apex Pro & Razer Naga 2014

Didn't they send you a DVI to VGA converter with you 780?

I once had one of these, now I've got this.

Plugging into onboard will not give you the graphical power of the GPU.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Plugging into onboard will not give you the graphical power of the GPU.

I know that, but I won't need it either on my second monitor.

Didn't they send you a DVI to VGA converter with you 780?

Gonna check that right now

Yes you can do this just fine. You will have to use the windows multi-monitor settings as only one monitor can be detected by your GPU.

My PC:

4670k      GTX 760 ACX      CoolerMaster Hyper 412s      Fractal Design Node 804      G1 Sniper M5      Corsair RM 650      WD Red 1TB     Samsung 840 Evo 120GB

Yes you can do this just fine. You will have to use the windows multi-monitor settings as only one monitor can be detected by your GPU.

Didn't need to change anything. They both got detected instantly.

I know that, but I won't need it either on my second monitor.

Gonna check that right now

Then you will be fine.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

what? get a new HDMI, fuck it get two if you're the kind of nutter who takes his frustration out on wires.

No but my HDMI cable was simply terrible. Atleast 10 times a day it lost signal or my screen showed those red stripes. I got so frustrated I kept pulling the cable in a good position to actually make it work, ended up breaking the connector

No but my HDMI cable was simply terrible. Atleast 10 times a day it lost signal or my screen showed those red stripes. I got so frustrated I kept pulling the cable in a good position to actually make it work, ended up breaking the connector

@Askew "get a new HDMI"

I know, probably going to buy a DVI cable this time

Get a couple. Just in case...

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I ripped my HDMI cable apart out of frustration so I'm forced to use my VGA cable.

I think someone needs to take anger management lessons. :P (JK)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator