Interesting revelation regarding Z97 + i5-4670k

Faceman

So, I recently had a Z87-A + i5-4670k.  I was running a 4.5Ghz OC @ 1.2v because well, temps were better than the 4.7 @ 1.275v and I don't really need that power.  Heck, I don't even need 4.5 for gaming.

Anyways, my friend recently bought a system and I was able to sell him some of my old components, one of which being my Z87-A, and I upgraded to a Z97-AR.  Everything went smooth, it was easy to upgrade mobos, just uninstall the old drivers, and install the new.  Piece of cake.  The Asus Z97 platform is incredible by the way, especially Fan Xpert III.

I decided to re-do my overclock to see if anything would be different, and yes, it is.  I kept the same 45 multiplier, but I was able to drop my voltage down from 1.200(which is already pretty good) all the way down to 1.165v!

Anyone able to explain why this happened?  If I had to guess, something about the Z97 being designed for higher TDP processors than the Z87.  I always thought that the quality of the overclock was 99% predicated upon the quality of the chip, but going from Z87 to Z97 has proven otherwise.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Z97 is a newer chipset with some improvements. 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Just a better overclocking board?

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I kept the same 45 multiplier, but I was able to drop my voltage down from 1.2(which is already pretty good) all the way down to 1.65v!

MATHEMATICS!

But yes, the newer board probably has better power delivery to the chip, requiring less to make up for the fluctuations in the previous board. Good work but!

I am also a fan of the new BIOS and such.

MAXIMUS VII HERO | i7 4770K w/ H100i | 2x8GB 1600MHz | GALAX GTX 970 x2
250GB SSD boot | 250GB x2, 1TB SSD storage | Corsair 400C | Corsair RM550

What? 1.65>1.2

Am i missing something? xD

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

@Snickerzz

Sorry, sorry, will edit. 1.165

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

@Snickerzz

Sorry, sorry, will edit. 1.165

ahh much better xD

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

So, I recently had a Z87-A + i5-4670k.  I was running a 4.5Ghz OC @ 1.2v because well, temps were better than the 4.7 @ 1.275v and I don't really need that power.  Heck, I don't even need 4.5 for gaming.

Most people buying K cpus don't need the added power, its all for the E-Peen. 

Not that I haven't been tempted to under clock my chip in order to make my computer dead silent... So long as I'm getting 60 fps in all my games, theres no real reason to push the chip harder... 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

This is irrelevant, but I might as well ask here rather than making a new thread about it - what's the default voltage of the 4670k? Mine's 1.198v but I don't ever remember touching the voltage in my overclock... sounds awfully high to me.

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

This is irrelevant, but I might as well ask here rather than making a new thread about it - what's the default voltage of the 4670k? Mine's 1.198v but I don't ever remember touching the voltage in my overclock... sounds awfully high to me.

It can't be that high..

Default voltage is 1.0 to 1.1.  1.0 for 3.4 and 1.1 when it boosts to 3.8

It can't be that high..

Default voltage is 1.0 to 1.1.  1.0 for 3.4 and 1.1 when it boosts to 3.8

Strange... I purposely don't bump up the voltage because I don't need a high OC. That's what it says in CPU-Z though.

Could my motherboard have automatically bumped up the voltage with the OC? Like an adaptive voltage or something?

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

Strange... I purposely don't bump up the voltage because I don't need a high OC. That's what it says in CPU-Z though.

Could my motherboard have automatically bumped up the voltage with the OC? Like an adaptive voltage or something?

Yea, but not that high.  For instance, I set my voltage to 1.275 and it would bump up to 1.282 something small like that.  Right now I have it set for 1.165 but it is bumping up to 1.171.

Yea, but not that high.  For instance, I set my voltage to 1.275 and it would bump up to 1.282 something small like that.  Right now I have it set for 1.165 but it is bumping up to 1.171.

Okay, well quick update: in the BIOS there was an option to set the vcore voltage mode. At the time it was on "auto", I just now set it to "override" and set it to 1.165v

In CPU-Z it shows 1.163v, so it worked. Let's just hope I didn't lose the silicon lottery on this one... oh please remain stable good 4670k :P

Also, just to note - it remained at 1.198v before, it never changed at all.

If I had to guess, something about the Z97 being designed for higher TDP processors than the Z87.  I always thought that the quality of the overclock was 99% predicated upon the quality of the chip, but going from Z87 to Z97 has proven otherwise.

i just updated my Z87 Hero UEFI (4th GEN update) and now the operating stock

voltage is 1.008v and not the older UEFI of 1.232v (which is my undervolt 1.005

40 multiplier - 4770k) more TPU/EPU algos at work. 

While I love me some overclocking and in all the time I've been playing with my PC I never really compared lowend stock to highend overclocked.

I was genuinely curious yesterday on differences.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Okay, well quick update: in the BIOS there was an option to set the vcore voltage mode. At the time it was on "auto", I just now set it to "override" and set it to 1.165v

In CPU-Z it shows 1.163v, so it worked. Let's just hope I didn't lose the silicon lottery on this one... oh please remain stable good 4670k :P

Also, just to note - it remained at 1.198v before, it never changed at all.

Don't set it to override, set it to adaptive 1.165 and keep lowering it until you BSOD, then go back up to the last stable voltage.  Override is for use only when stress testing.

i just updated my Z87 Hero UEFI (4th GEN update) and now the operating stock

voltage is 1.008v and not the older UEFI of 1.232v (which is my undervolt 1.005

40 multiplier - 4770k) more TPU/EPU algos at work. 

I actually had something similar happen too.  I had my Z87-A on the BIOS from the disc that came with it. At this time, I was doing auto-OC because I was getting amazing results.  4.7Ghz when 1 and 2 cores were in use, and 4.6Ghz when 3 and 4 cores were in use @ 1.275v, that was the auto-OC.  So I updated my BIOS to 1802 I think, the one that makes it compatible with DC chips.  I redid the auto-OC and it set my CPU to 4.7Ghz on all cores.  So the BIOS update must have improved something.  Anyways, I later found out that while the auto OC was good for me to get an idea of what my chip is capable of, it had set my LLC to a maximum 8/8 which is not so good.  I finally decided to do it manually, and I set it to the exact same 4.7 on all cores @ 1.275v except with LLC at 4/8 and everything worked like it should.

Still, going from Z87 to Z97 and I was able to get .35v reduction and remain stable is pretty incredible.

Don't set it to override, set it to adaptive 1.165 and keep lowering it until you BSOD, then go back up to the last stable voltage.  Override is for use only when stress testing.

Oh, alright. Will do.

While I love me some overclocking and in all the time I've been playing with my PC I never really compared lowend stock to highend overclocked.

-Snipe-

The only time I really enjoyed overclocking was with my E5300 and a DG35EC, which you couldn't overclock through the BIOS. I like finding ways to get around normal means like that :P

Oh, alright. Will do.

The only time I really enjoyed overclocking was with my E5300 and a DG35EC, which you couldn't overclock through the BIOS. I like finding ways to get around normal means like that :P

Same here, Q6600 in a DELL Bios.

Had to use the CPU PIN Tape Mod to force 1333Mhz FSB instead of the 1066Mhz, taking the 2.4Ghz up to 2.999Ghz :)

Beast.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

While I appreciate the video, and I do think that he is right that overclocking isn't going to give you very tangible results for gaming, the tests he ran are incredibly flawed.  Throughout all of the tests, there was NO ACTION.  He fired his gun twice throughout that entire video and it was only against 1 enemy on the screen in Metro:LL.  I would have liked to see some multiplayer tests run in Crysis3 and BF4.  Again, I don't think OCing will give you very big performance gains, but that video is not a definitive "It doesn't do anything."

While I appreciate the video, and I do think that he is right that overclocking isn't going to give you very tangible results for gaming, the tests he ran are incredibly flawed.  Throughout all of the tests, there was NO ACTION.  He fired his gun twice throughout that entire video and it was only against 1 enemy on the screen in Metro:LL.  I would have liked to see some multiplayer tests run in Crysis3 and BF4.  Again, I don't think OCing will give you very big performance gains, but that video is not a definitive "It doesn't do anything."

Yeah, I noticed there weren't really any very CPU intensive moments in his tests. 

I think the 3570k is able to handle those games pretty well still, but he didn't really try to put any real load on it. 

I agree, was a timedemo essentially with zero action.

I'm sure in BF4 64p servers it makes a difference.

I agree, was a timedemo essentially with zero action.

I'm sure in BF4 64p servers it makes a difference.

Right, and that is what I want to see.  Crysis3 can also be played online.

Both BF4 and C3 are incredibly CPU intensive, so until he runs those tests in an online setting it means nothing to me.  Also, he needed to incorporate more action into that video, there was barely any action, and hardly any stress being applied to the CPU, as far as I'm concerned, the guy wasted his time doing an inherently flawed test.  His head is in the right place and I'm sure he means well, but it doesn't prove anything.

I had a roughly similar experience with a system I built for one of my friends. Moved from a Z87-n (gigabyte itx) to a Z97i-plus (Asus itx) and moved up to a 1:1 4.5ghz OC at a slightly lower voltage. The z87 was stuck at 4.5/4.3 with a rather horrendous voltage of 1.27...didn't help that his i7 was a hot one either :o

Not sure if it was moving from Gigabyte to ASUS, or Z87 to Z97, either way can't really complain.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

I had a roughly similar experience with a system I built for one of my friends. Moved from a Z87-n (gigabyte itx) to a Z97i-plus (Asus itx) and moved up to a 1:1 4.5ghz OC at a slightly lower voltage. The z87 was stuck at 4.5/4.3 with a rather horrendous voltage of 1.27...didn't help that his i7 was a hot one either :o

Not sure if it was moving from Gigabyte to ASUS, or Z87 to Z97, either way can't really complain.

That would be interesting to find out if the brand had anything to do with it.  Up until today, I was under the assumption that you are going to get the same OC on any platform and that your result is 99% dependent on the chip you have.  Would be great if someone could do a motherboard roundup overclocking comparison.