Unexplainable BSOD

I'm having the same issue where graphically intensive games like Borderlands 2 and Alan Wake will freeze up with a crazy sound before restarting my computer. Games like Fallout New Vegas don't do this to me strangely.

Weird because I've played borderlands 2 without problem. What's your build got in it?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I hate 124 so freaking much...it's basically Microsoft giving you the finger with a "lolidunno" response. This can range from anything minor like not enough voltage in an overclock to something critical is dying.

I hate 124 so freaking much...it's basically Microsoft giving you the finger with a "lolidunno" response. This can range from anything minor like not enough voltage in an overclock to something critical is dying.

Yeah it seems that way to me. Is there some alternative way to test your hardware at home? I don't have anything spare other than an old evga power supply.

I've reinstalled windows completely fresh this time after formatting my SSD from a ubuntu USB boot stick. Thank god for Linux. Installed every update under the sun, installed samsungs SSD magician software and updated the firmware for that, optimized for reliability. Only game currently installed now is bfbc2. I'm hoping this was some sort of problem arising from the fact that I had a bunch of stuff on my hdd mass storage drive from my previous build with an AMD cpu and motherboard, that I never deleted, just removed it when I reinstalled windows and then put it back in.

Yeah it seems that way to me. Is there some alternative way to test your hardware at home? I don't have anything spare other than an old evga power supply.

I've reinstalled windows completely fresh this time after formatting my SSD from a ubuntu USB boot stick. Thank god for Linux. Installed every update under the sun, installed samsungs SSD magician software and updated the firmware for that, optimized for reliability. Only game currently installed now is bfbc2. I'm hoping this was some sort of problem arising from the fact that I had a bunch of stuff on my hdd mass storage drive from my previous build with an AMD cpu and motherboard, that I never deleted, just removed it when I reinstalled windows and then put it back in.

Beats me. My own system has been a little shit as well and I suspect it's either the GPU or something so obscure that it borders on maddening. Haven't had a 124 error in awhile, last I got one it was my fault for not having enough voltage. (I underclocked my cpu slightly to see if that'd help stability and forgot what the stable voltage was for 4.5Ghz) The usual problem is playing a game then suddenly BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT audio stutter + hard freeze. Really annoying.

It's gotten me so paranoid that I set my performance to max and disabled all power savings options on top of doing things such as disable hardware acceleration for videos. Also found a random video on a possible fix that worked for some and that was clicking on the volume icon in your taskbar. click on what looks like speakers and then look at this screenshot:

fb8b31588e873fbe69ee040bf7c54a9a.png

Untick the allow applications to take control option. Haven't had a random freeze since minor underclock + unticking that, but I'm still paranoid.

If you are still having a problem:

Go to Control Panel > System & Security > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer

Then go Into windows logs and look under the Tabs there for any events marked error, as this is what BSod are marked as. 

Find the event(s) for the date and time when the Bsod happened. Put the details for that event here

There is a link you can click which says "Event Log Online Help".(I used this to help me with a bluescreen I had a while back.

It will give you some more possible solutions, if the Bluescreens are still occuring

I hope this problem is fixed soon for you; I know just how irritating Bsods can be, about a month ago my main gaming rig, my laptop and my brothers laptop all had Bsods, which have all now (I think) been fixed.

If you are still having a problem:

Go to Control Panel > System & Security > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer

Then go Into windows logs and look under the Tabs there for any events marked error, as this is what BSod are marked as. 

Find the event(s) for the date and time when the Bsod happened. Put the details for that event here

There is a link you can click which says "Event Log Online Help".(I used this to help me with a bluescreen I had a while back.

It will give you some more possible solutions, if the Bluescreens are still occuring

I hope this problem is fixed soon for you; I know just how irritating Bsods can be, about a month ago my main gaming rig, my laptop and my brothers laptop all had Bsods, which have all now (I think) been fixed.

Will do, gonna wait for a bit until the bfbc2 servers are populated. What's so damned irritating about this is that I can play games like star wars the old republic, ALL DAY on ultra, and never even get a whimper from my pc, then I load up an older game like bfbc2, or dayz mod, and get a bsod. It did always accompany some sort of sound problem, whether or not it was running on my gpu or my onboard graphics.

Weird because I've played borderlands 2 without problem. What's your build got in it?

Video Card:GTX 780

CPU: i5 3570K 3.4Ghz

Memory:Corsair Vengeance 16GB(2x8) 1600mhz

Video Card:GTX 780

CPU: i5 3570K 3.4Ghz

Memory:Corsair Vengeance 16GB(2x8) 1600mhz

Dang your system is nicer than mine. What's your motherboard manufacturer?

Update: For some reason, even though it worked fine yesterday, I can't get bfbc2 to work at the right resolution to match my tv. Intel HD graphics keeps setting my resolution wrong, when I change to the "correct" resolution, things stick over the edge of the screen.

yay.

Dang your system is nicer than mine. What's your motherboard manufacturer?

Update: For some reason, even though it worked fine yesterday, I can't get bfbc2 to work at the right resolution to match my tv. Intel HD graphics keeps setting my resolution wrong, when I change to the "correct" resolution, things stick over the edge of the screen.

yay.

Using a Asus Z77 motherboard(I know I need to upgrade lol even though I don't know what i'll upgrade to yet), what resolution are you trying to set the integrated graphics to?

Using a Asus Z77 motherboard(I know I need to upgrade lol even though I don't know what i'll upgrade to yet), what resolution are you trying to set the integrated graphics to?

720p which is what my sony tv that I use as a monitor runs at. Although intel integrated graphics insists otherwise lol

-snip

-snip
-snip

-snip

-snip

Well for the moment all seems to be well. Played about 6 full matches of rush on bfbc2 on integrated graphics on low graphics settings (which I did before, which caused bsod) and no bsod. I've updated everything including the firmware drivers and whatnot for my SSD. I also used samsung SSD magician to optimize my OS for reliability over performance. I also set the sound to not allow applications to take control. Not really sure what the problem was, not sure if I should reinstall my gpu or just RMA it as planned. Thoughts?

Well for the moment all seems to be well. Played about 6 full matches of rush on bfbc2 on integrated graphics on low graphics settings (which I did before, which caused bsod) and no bsod. I've updated everything including the firmware drivers and whatnot for my SSD. I also used samsung SSD magician to optimize my OS for reliability over performance. I also set the sound to not allow applications to take control. Not really sure what the problem was, not sure if I should reinstall my gpu or just RMA it as planned. Thoughts?

Reinstall it and see what happens.

Well you could reinstall the GPU that may give a better indication of whether or not the component is bad.

Damn you @Askew... ninja'd  :ph34r:

Reinstall it and see what happens.

I guess I'll give it a shot. Should I install geforce experience before I install the gpu?

Well you could reinstall the GPU that may give a better indication of whether or not the component is bad.

Damn you @Askew... ninja'd  :ph34r:

Yeah he's good at that.

I guess I'll give it a shot. Should I install geforce experience before I install the gpu?

Yeah he's good at that.

No need to install it really, if you just want to test the GPU do the advanced setup and only install HD Audio and the Graphics driver, you can always install GeForce experience after.

Yeah he's good at that.

no that program is only useful for shadowplay, and if you ask me they should make that a seperate app.

install the GPU, boot the pc and install the driver, simples.

meerkat@body.jpg

No need to install it really, if you just want to test the GPU do the advanced setup and only install HD Audio and the Graphics driver, you can always install GeForce experience after.

I can run the gpu without geforce experience? How will I get the drivers for it?

@Askew didn't see you there.

Neat. Will try later when I'm done with my school work.

Well I installed the gpu and the drivers, unfortunately I now have staticy sound (not too bad, only in game as well) but no bsod after one match.

I'm thinking it's the graphics card that's got the only problem. I've had problems with the sound coming over the hdmi line ever since I got this motherboard and cpu. Still gonna have to RMA it.