Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

JujuShinobi

I have been looking for CPU coolers that are affordable and not rubbish for the price and I encountered the Hyper 212 Evo, mainly due to Logan from Tek Syndicate from recommending it a lot of times. People from other forums said it is good for the price but I would like to know what people on this forum think.

Thanks

I bought one a few weeks ago for my second rig, very impressed. keeps my phenom ii quad core at about 47C while folding

I have this cooler and recommending it highly.

My phenom x6 1055T is over clocked to 3.8ghz (originally 2.8) and it is about 25c while idle and it is about 50c with prime95 running

I use one with my i7 2700K and it works great! The highest I have taken my CPU was 4.8GHz and at that overclock the CPU was hitting 80C so I took the overclock down to 4.5Ghz and now temps get to the mid 70s at 100% load(which pretty much never happens)

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

My phenom x6 1055T is over clocked to 3.8ghz (originally 2.8) and it is about 25c while idle and it is about 50c with prime95 running

But what sort of fans do you use? That's one of my main concerns

Are you not interested in the world of closed loop liquid coolers?

[9:01:47 PM] Slick: And the award for life time acheivement in the field of "maker of the least amount of sense" goes to Kilmer.

I own the CM Hyper 212+ and it's cooling a i5-2500k. My idle temps are below 40C(more around 30C, but it shifts around) and my load temps during games never go above 55C and Prime95 they sit around 60C and this is with a 4.3GHz OC.

​It's a really efficient cooler, my ambient room temperature is ~20C and my case currently sits on the ground(which is a tiled floor).

I own the CM Hyper 212+ and it's cooling a i5-2500k. My idle temps are below 40C(more around 30C, but it shifts around) and my load temps during games never go above 55C and Prime95 they sit around 60C and this is with a 4.3GHz OC.

​It's a really efficient cooler, my ambient room temperature is ~20C and my case currently sits on the ground(which is a tiled floor).

Now it makes me feel like its one heck of a bargain. Those kind of temps @ $55ish USD

The 212 is pretty much the standard recommendation for the price point from just about everyone I've spoken to and every forum I've been on. I don't know if you are aware but there are two models, the Evo and the Plus. In terms of the 212 Evo vs Plus, I would go the plus because there is little to no temperature difference, just the Evo lacks the small groves between the heat pipes on the plate but costs a little more.

The only fans I have in my case (besides the CPU fan) is a 230mm fan in the front and a 140MM fan in the rear.

If you can find one for less than $30 let me know!

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

The Hyper 212 is only $30: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

The 212 is pretty much the standard recommendation for the price point from just about everyone I've spoken to and every forum I've been on. I don't know if you are aware but there are two models, the Evo and the Plus. In terms of the 212 Evo vs Plus, I would go the plus because there is little to no temperature difference, just the Evo lacks the small groves between the heat pipes on the plate but costs a little more.
I have had the Cooler Master TX3(smaller version of 212+) and the 212 EVO. I Recommend the EVO over the 212+ because if you take the heatsink off, those small groves between the heatpipes are really hard to clean out.

I'm going to steal a quote from someone on the forums (forgot who) Eat ramen for a month and get a CL liquid cooler.

[9:01:47 PM] Slick: And the award for life time acheivement in the field of "maker of the least amount of sense" goes to Kilmer.

That would be above my budget for CPU coolers >_>

But you would have more budget by eating ramen, and you would have ramen!

I would priorities ramen over the 212 EVO. I mean, food man! Who can resist?

i have the 212 evo in my rig right now and it keeps my 3570 idle at around 32c and at load it does not go above 50c-ish its a very nice cooler and very quiet

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

Wow the evo is def not $50 you should be able to get it on amazon for cheaper than newegg. I have to agree though that cooler is pretty amazing and it makes my ears happy compared to those stock coolers. Btw like I posted on someone elses topic you could check out the thermaltake water 2.0 performer it works well and newegg often sells it for $30

The Hyper 212 Evo is a very good cooler if you are on a budget. It is way better than the intel stock heatsink.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

The 212 Evo is excellent. I ran it for a while until the fan broke, now I'm running it with the Evo heatsink and the fan from a Hyper 212 Plus, which I get even better temps with. From my experience, the 212 Evo has a better heatsink while the 212 Plus has a better fan, but both are excellent for budget air cooling. Excellent purchase, would definitely recommend them to anyone not doing liquid cooling.

The 212 Evo is a great cooler for the price. If you are willing to spend a bit more, there are many better options available but the 212 Evo offers the best value for money.

I've had my 212+ for donkey's years and it's never missed a beat :) i run it with a scythe gt @ 750 rpm getting 75c max in 10 passes of intel burn test on maximum with ambient temp ~20c :)

Highly recommend it!

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

I've had my 212+ for donkey's years and it's never missed a beat :) i run it with a scythe gt @ 750 rpm getting 75c max in 10 passes of intel burn test on maximum with ambient temp ~20c :)

Highly recommend it!

that's at stock clock with turbo boot on a 3570k btw :P i have no need for overclocking my system

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |