Won't turbo boost?

YodaSoda33

Hey guys! I just built a new PC using the core i7 4790K. My motherboard is the msi h97m-g43, so im using the click bios 4. I'm trying to enable the turbo boost but for some reason when I disable/enable the turbo boost the cpu stays at 4.00ghz. I'm new to the whole bios thing, so frankly i don't really know what im doing wrong. Do i need to install windows before adjusting the turbo boost or am i doing it completely wrong.

This is what im experiencing:

1. I turn on the PC

2. I press [delete] to open the bios

3. I go to the overclocking settings

4. I enable Turbo boost

5. Then i look at the top right of the bios (where it shows current Cpu frequency) and it hasn't changed...

I also can't change the CPU ratio,Ring ratio or the GT ratio...

This is the first time I have ever turbo boosted a proccesor so some help would be greatly appreciated! thanks

It only goes to the turbo boost frequency when it actually needs to. If it does not then it will not go to said turbo frequency otherwise it is just wasting power.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Hey guys! I just built a new PC using the core i7 4790K. My motherboard is the msi h97m-g43, so im using the click bios 4. I'm trying to enable the turbo boost but for some reason when I disable/enable the turbo boost the cpu stays at 4.00ghz. I'm new to the whole bios thing, so frankly i don't really know what im doing wrong. Do i need to install windows before adjusting the turbo boost or am i doing it completely wrong.

1. I turn on the PC

4. I enable Turbo boost

5. Then i look at the top right of the bios (where it shows current Cpu frequency) and it hasn't changed...

This is the first time I have ever turbo boosted a proccesor so some help would be greatly appreciated! thanks

Turbo boost boosts the cpu frequency when it is under a load. Not at idle. It's there to have the power when you need it, conserve energy when you don't.

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

It only goes to the turbo boost frequency when it actually needs to. If it does not then it will not go to said turbo frequency otherwise it is just wasting power.

oh ok thanks. btw is there any risk in changing the memory frequency from 1333 to 1600 mhz?

You'll only see it use the turbo frequencies when you're booted into Windows and you're using an application that needs the extra power.

you need a Z97 motherboard to overclock properly. it looks like you have an H97.

http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Z97-vs-H97-What-is-the-Difference-562/

Turbo boost will work on any motherboard, not just Z97..

oh ok thanks. btw is there any risk in changing the memory frequency from 1333 to 1600 mhz?

If you have 1600 Mhz memory, there won't be any risk.. If you don't have 1600 Mhz memory, there is a chance that it won't work properly.

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

You'll only see it use the turbo frequencies when you're booted into Windows and you're using an application that needs the extra power.

If you have 1600 Mhz memory, there won't be any risk.. If you don't have 1600 Mhz memory, there is a chance that it won't work properly.

how can you tell if the memory is 1600mhz? when i first opened the bios by defult the dram frequency was 1333mhz. The ram is corsair vengeance btw

1. I turn on the PC

4. I enable Turbo boost

you can also go to control pannel then energy management  and set it to high preformance  then its almost  4.4ghz all the time  i got same processor as you only z97 platform

how can you tell if the memory is 1600mhz? when i first opened the bios by defult the dram frequency was 1333mhz. The ram is corsair vengeance btw

What does it say on the box? All RAM will default to 1333 when it's first installed into a new PC.

You should see something like this in your BIOS (this is a different mobo, but it should be fairly similar)

MSI%20Z87A-GD65%20Gaming%20BIOS%2019%20-

If the memory has an XMP profile, all you'll need to do is click on where the BIOS says "extreme memory profile", and select Profile 1 (or whatever it says). That will take care of everything automatically when you save and exit the BIOS..

I'm fully aware of that, but on H97 motherboards it won't go to the maximum frequency unless only 1 (or is it 2?) core is in use. 

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I'm fully aware of that, but on H97 motherboards it won't go to the maximum frequency unless only 1 (or is it 2?) core is in use. 

Technically, it *shouldn't* go to the maximum frequency on any board unless only one core is in use..

It is true that most manufacturers override that limit on their Z97 boards.

What does it say on the box? All RAM will default to 1333 when it's first installed into a new PC.

You should see something like this in your BIOS (this is a different mobo, but it should be fairly similar)

MSI%20Z87A-GD65%20Gaming%20BIOS%2019%20-

If the memory has an XMP profile, all you'll need to do is click on where the BIOS says "extreme memory profile", and select Profile 1 (or whatever it says). That will take care of everything automatically when you save and exit the BIOS..

Thanks for the help really appreciate it!