Dual 200mm Case Fan Not Making A Difference?

PlayModeOn
Go to solution Solved by austin541,

Just leave it alone those temps are more than reasonable and 3-5 degrees would be within margin of error for a case swap. 

You can't just compare fans by the "feel" of the air going through your hands. That's what you DON'T do.

The Cooler Master JetFlo's are a bit more static pressure oriented and spin at much higher RPM's. The larger 200mm fans rotated at much lower RPM's, but deliver more airflow at lower pressure.

Because of the larger fan blades on the 200mm, you don't need high RPM.

Having your front 120mm JetFlo's set up like that does not multiply the air coming in. That's not how it works.

If what you are saying is true, having 40 Corsair SP fans would make this H100i cool the CPU like a Madafooker. Unfortunately, in reality, that is not true.

I don't know what CPU and motherboard you are using, but, depending on your ambient (room) temperature -- as it does play a role in your overall system temperatures -- 25*C is considered normal for a motherboard. the SB or NB chipset may be higher (depending if it's overclocked, etc).

For my system, with a ambient temperature of 22*C, HWMonitor is showing the following

• 25*C for the Mainboard
  • 33*C for the SB chipset
  • 45*C for the NB chipset (I do have it overclocked and overvolted)

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

You can't just compare fans by the "feel" of the air going through your hands. That's what you DON'T do.

The Cooler Master JetFlo's are a bit more static pressure oriented and spin at much higher RPM's. The larger 200mm fans rotated at much lower RPM's, but deliver more airflow at lower pressure.

Because of the larger fan blades on the 200mm, you don't need high RPM.

Having your front 120mm JetFlo's set up like that does not multiply the air coming in. That's not how it works.

If what you are saying is true, having 40 Corsair SP fans would make this H100i cool the CPU like a Madafooker. Unfortunately, in reality, that is not true.

I don't know what CPU and motherboard you are using, but, depending on your ambient (room) temperature -- as it does play a role in your overall system temperatures -- 25*C is considered normal for a motherboard. the SB or NB chipset may be higher (depending if it's overclocked, etc).

For my system, with a ambient temperature of 22*C, HWMonitor is showing the following

• 25*C for the Mainboard
  • 33*C for the SB chipset
  • 45*C for the NB chipset (I do have it overclocked and overvolted)

No the thing is I purchased a $150 case to receive a larger and cleaner interior but also perform as well or better than my old $50 case.

Before I purchase the HAF XM I have been looking at the motherboard temps on my old case at the BIOS everyday and everynight, it is always around 19-21 degrees Celsius. Today I looked at my HAF XM the temps goes to 27 degrees which is a large difference from the 20 and 21 degrees. Yesterday it hit 28 degrees even though the ambient temp are the same (winter here). 

CPU AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0GHzCooling AMD StockMotherboard AsRock 970 Extreme4RAM 8GB (2x4) DDR3 1333MHz GPU AMD Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-XCase Fractal Define R5 Titanium 

Storage Samsung 120GB 840 EVO | PSUThermaltake Litepower 600WOS Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Upgrading to - Intel i7 - New motherboard - Corsair AIO H110i GT watercooler -  1000W PSU

You must understand that, the bigger the case, the harder it is to cool it down.

I strongly believe that you had better temperatures in your old case because it was smaller and easier to cool it down.

You can compare it to a room. Is it easier to cool down a big room or a small room? Some concepts are common to both.

If you don't need to fit a lotta stuff, there's no meaning in buying something huge. I believe this must be the case(pun) here, unless you have a lotta stuff in there, then my bad.

As @austin541 already said, you should not worry because your temps are not high at all.

Try different layouts, try negative vs. positive pressure. A lotta people are negative pressure boys and others are positive pressure boys. I believe that it depends on so much more than just having negative/positive pressure. You might live at a hot place, dusty place, the case is inside a desk with not much ventilation, etc, etc - everything matters.

Change something on your layout, test it for a couple of hours. Repeat that until you think you have found the best temperatures.

If I had to try a new layout, it would be: 2x140mm front intake, 1x140mm rear exhaust and 2x140mm top exhaust, controlling the top exhaust fans' RPM so that you have positive pressure whilst idle and negative when under load.

Also, just because you have 7 fans, it doesn't mean you must use them all. Number of fans does not always mean better cooling. 

Good luck.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

"You see, one can only be angry with those he respects." - R. Nixon