Building a mini folding rig with a 7970, need help

Ok, so I decided to make a mini/micro folding rig around my 7970. I'm getting a new card very soon and I originally thought I would just put the 7970 underneath it and have them both in the same rig, but when I remembered that it would turn my case into a sauna, I started thinking about building another pc.

First of all, I have no clue where to start so I ask you for your help.

The basic idea I'm going for is to make it as cheap as possible, but still be able to get that 7970 to overclock nicely and get 115k+ PPD that it's giving me now.

I already made up my mind for the case, I'm going with the HAF XB since it's a freaking awesome case. But I'm stumped on the actual components. Which mobo to get? micro-atx or mini-itx? Which CPU? Should I wait for Haswell?

My plan with this build is that I build it, set it up, and then leave it in the corner while controlling it with teamviewer.

And I don't know anything about linux, especially overclocking my gpu in it and monitoring the temps, I never used it. Is that a simple process?

Thanks in advance, I hope this isn't too much to ask :)

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." Edgar Allan Poe

@natkoui

For GPU folding, you typically don't use Linux. Windows is the GPU folder OS. So - are you looking for cheap? Search around on vendor sites, get stuff on sale. micro or mini won't matter, since you just running the one card. But, getting something larger will allow you to add something in the future. I got a MSI Z77A-G45 and GD65 for mine on good sales. These boards are great for overclocking. Then get the cheapest Core i3 you can and don't even fold with it... just fold on the GPU. Get a decent PSU and basic hard drive... some extra 120mm fans for front intakes and 120mm for rear exhaust....

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Wow, that G45 is around $100, might even get that one in a store. And yeah, my plan was to go with a low tier cpu and then fold with the gpu only.

ok, this is probably what it's going to be like. When I first saw the price I was shocked, but then I realized that I should subtract the $400 from the card :P

Thanks for your help Whaler :)

@natkoui

Looks like a good setup - and with that board and case, you could eventually add a couple more cards if you find some on sale or used...

Don't forget extra fans - the case doesn't come with any from what I remember of mine. You will want 2x120mm for the front, 1x120mm for the rear and possibly a 200mm for the roof. Get decent airflow fans from say Noctua, Corsair or SilverStone...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Also, check my GPU Folder build guide - has some info on putting a HAF XB together and setup and such....

Will do, I think I have one 200mm fan from my old case so only need to get the small ones. And yeah, I think the case comes with only a 80-90mm one for exhaust.

And do you think this PSU could handle another 7970? I mean, if it continues to perform like this in any future WUs/cores, I would really like to put another one in there instead of some other card.

@natkoui

As long as you are not overclocking, it should. Just make sure it has enough PCI Express power plugs if you plan to maybe add another in the future. If it doesn't, maybe upgrade that now...

I have a 750w psu in my main rig which can replace this one if needed.

I would like if the card(s) would stay overclocked, don't know how much it would impact folding, need to do some testing. At least temp wouldn't be a problem if left at stock :P

@natkoui

I typically do NOT OC any GPU I have. Usually temps get a bit much on them and Folding is very finicky about overclocks on GPU's. But if you can get an extra 1000 PPD from a mild overclock with no other issues, go for it. :)