A closer look at Ralph Lauren's smart shirt for athletes

PillowSmoke

DSC01469.jpg

The Polo Tech shirt, which was made with the help of Canadian tech firm Omsignal, has built-in sensors that track the wearer's heart rate and movement. That data then gets sent to an iOS app, thanks to a Bluetooth-enabled box that detaches from the shirt when it's time to do laundry. (The company is also mulling an Android app.) It's in the prototype stage for now, though some US Open ball boys will wear it this week, as will Giron, during practices. (Ralph Lauren is a US Open sponsor.) Basically, it's designed to take the place of a standalone fitness tracker or heart rate monitor -- gear that could potentially get in the way while you're trying to move. It's also worth noting that while other companies have tried smart sportswear, it's still rare to see a well-known brand dabbling in such things.

The main potential problem seems to be how tight the shirt seems. And no, that's not just on the muscular Mr. Giron; this kind of tech-infused clothing is apparently easier to make when the garment is form-fitting. In an interview, David Lauren, senior vice president of advertising, marketing and public relations, said it's important that the sensors be close to the body, so that they give a more accurate read-out. As the technology evolves, though, he says the company will consider making other athletic apparel, and even "normal" clothes like suits, ties and dresses. "We wanna look at everything," he said. Of course, for Ralph Lauren to make headway there, it'd first have to find a solution to that accuracy problem. In addition, Mr. Lauren indicated that it's tricky figuring out how to embed sensors into different kinds of fabrics, so there's that challenge too.

With time, the "black box" will probably get smaller as well. At present, it's definitely conspicuous, as you can tell from the above photo, though without having used it, I can't say if it's actually distracting. In any case, a Ralph Lauren spokesperson indicated that the box could one day have a more discreet design. Something the size of a button, perhaps.

The app itself is sleek and well-designed, if a bit simple. From your iOS device, you can see your heart rate, breathing rate, steps taken, calories burned and time in "the zone" -- whether that be warmup, fitness, aerobic, anaerobic or maximum effort. From there, you can also go to a dashboard in the browser, as you can with other workout-tracking services, like Garmin Connect. There will also be an iPad dashboard, which should be especially ideal for coaches. For the regular guy buying this from a department store, though, the iPhone app should be enough -- you probably just want to glance at the app after your workout to see how hard you were going.

For now, this shirt is just a prototype, though Ralph Lauren has firm plans to launch it next year. At that point, there will be both men's and women's styles. No word on pricing, except that it's expected to fall in line with other Polo-brand shirts. Do with that what you will, folks.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

Here is what i pump iron and run in. I have a shirt and shorts. It all costs under $20 :o. Also if I want to know my heart rate I use my finger to take it. :o

Is that an iPhone 6 or just an iPod touch?

Probably not... I think it's an iPod 5th gen

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

inb4 DRM shirts.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Is that an iPhone 6 or just an iPod touch?

iPod Touch 5th Generation.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

well its a cool idea but its not exactly smart, its just stitching sensors into a shirt 

Hmmm i wonder how will a smart shoe be like hmmmm 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M ||