What laptop to buy

Gladiateduke

Hey everyone, I am looking into buying a laptop for school but I am unsure about which one to buy.

The list of features I am looking for are:

-A 1080p or higher ips touchscreen display

-An i7

-8GB of ram or more

-Thin and portable

-A standard keyboard (number pad not needed but back lighting would be great) 

-A 256gb ssd (extra HDD not needed)

-802.11 AC wifi.

-In terms of I/O I really only need two usb 3.0 ports, maybe ethernet, audio output and an HDMI port.

I will be using the laptop for programming, web browsing, C.A.D., running a virtual Linux machine and a few other things. 

I am willing to spend up to $2000. I do not need it to be a gaming laptop but if it fits into the budget, why not. I am not sure if my expectations are too high for my price range, if so please tell me. 

If any one has some suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. 

EDIT: It needs to run windows, I am personally not a fan of the OSX operating system.

GET THE BLADE AND JOIN ME IN THE COOL KIDS CLUB........... DO IT :o

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

GET THE BLADE AND JOIN ME IN THE COOL KIDS CLUB........... DO IT :o

I am really tempted but it's over $3000. On the other hand, ITS SOOO SEXY. How is the blade's battery life? Anything you don't like about it?

I am really tempted but it's over $3000. On the other hand, ITS SOOO SEXY. How is the blade's battery life? Anything you don't like about it?

well i mean the 256gb is like $2400 if you could stretch that far :P and i havent had any complaints other than when i messed with my mouse and had to go to the store to realize it was a simple fix. but the battery is good, lasts usually 4-6 hours depending on what im doing and if i have battery saver on :P battery saver is a life saver

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Thanks for the suggestion but I would prefer if it was running windows. I guess that was something important to specify in the post.

For programmers, OS X is far better. It comes preinstalled with a bunch of languages and it's fully Unix compliant.

You could also run Windows on it if you really wanted to. Unless the graphics card is a big deal, the 15" has great battery life, a FANTASTIC screen, great keyboard/trackpad, and a fast processor.

It's what I would choose. You'll not find a more versatile tool for programming than a 15" MacBook Pro.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Hey everyone, I am looking into buying a laptop for school but I am unsure about which one to buy.

The list of features I am looking for are:

-A 1080p or higher ips touchscreen display

-An i7

-8GB of ram or more

-Thin and portable

-A standard keyboard (number pad not needed but back lighting would be great) 

-A 256gb ssd (extra HDD not needed)

-802.11 AC wifi.

-In terms of I/O I really only need two usb 3.0 ports, maybe ethernet, audio output and an HDMI port.

I will be using the laptop for programming, web browsing, C.A.D., running a virtual Linux machine and a few other things. 

I am willing to spend up to $2000. I do not need it to be a gaming laptop but if it fits into the budget, why not. I am not sure if my expectations are too high for my price range, if so please tell me. 

If any one has some suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. 

EDIT: It needs to run windows, I am personally not a fan of the OSX operating system.

O_O. That is a nice budget for that. Are you willing to try out a brand you've never heard of before, and do you wish it to be 15.6" or 17.3" in screen size? You will not be getting a touch screen; not sure about an IPS one either. Probably no IPS. It will be a good gaming laptop with lots of CPU/GPU power though.

Edit: I'll hunt and see if I can't find an IPS panel in one of them for you.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Thanks for the suggestion but I would prefer if it was running windows. I guess that was something important to specify in the post.

Asus N550JK? I don't think it comes with a SSD by default in the base model, but you can either do it yourself or buy from laptop resellers like Xotic PC

http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-n550jkds71t-touch-p-7083.html

With that, I think it has everything you're looking for, IPS, touchscreen, etc. Plus, it has a 850M in case you ever felt like doing a little bit of gaming on it.

@Gladiateduke I could not find an IPS panel for you on one of the higher end laptops. But let me know if you're willing to sacrifice the IPS panel; I could find you a good model. I would be using XoticPC as the reseller as the user above suggested, but I would not be getting you ASUS. Probably a Sager would fit your needs better.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

I love how everyone's fucking around trying to find a laptop with exactly the specs he listed when the MBPR 15" literally fits them exactly minus the touchscreen and Windows.

Let me get my popcorn.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I love how everyone's fucking around trying to find a laptop with exactly the specs he listed when the MBPR 15" literally fits them exactly minus the touchscreen and Windows.

Let me get my popcorn.

Well since windows is a requirement for him... that doesn't really help does it? =3.

Well since windows is a requirement for him... that doesn't really help does it? =3.

Yes but as a programmer it's simply stupid to have Windows as a requirement. You're going to be a Unix guy eventually, either now or later. I suggest now because Unix is a very liberating experience compared to Windows.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Yes but as a programmer it's simply stupid to have Windows as a requirement. You're going to be a Unix guy eventually, either now or later. I suggest now because Unix is a very liberating experience compared to Windows.

I am not a programmer. I am doing some programming just to learn and have fun. Maybe if I was being paid to program or was in a programming class I would look into it but since it is just for fun, I will stick with windows. Thank you for your suggestion though. 

So right I am looking into this laptop. Any opinions? Will I see much of a difference between the i7 4600U and the 4702HQ? There are some things about the keyboard that I am not a huge fan of but they aren't major things and the changes they have made seem like ones I could get used to in a few days or weeks.

I am not a programmer. I am doing some programming just to learn and have fun. Maybe if I was being paid to program or was in a programming class I would look into it but since it is just for fun, I will stick with windows. Thank you for your suggestion though. 

Meh. Either way Macs are better.

The X1 Carbon is about as solid a choice as PCs get though. Nice pick. I would however like to point out that for that price the MacBook Pro has a higher res screen, twice as much RAM, better processor, better GPU...but my point has been made.

Honestly just buy the MacBook Pro and run Windows on it. It's a way better deal than the one you chose, almost better in every way.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

So right I am looking into this laptop. Any opinions? Will I see much of a difference between the i7 4600U and the 4702HQ? There are some things about the keyboard that I am not a huge fan of but they aren't major things and the changes they have made seem like ones I could get used to in a few days or weeks.

Oh my god do not buy that thing, that is way overpriced. That could be sold for $1000 less and STILL be expensive.

Are you willing at all to sacrifice touch screen and IPS panel for an otherwise-fantastic laptop?

Let me get my popcorn.

Like you said, the MBPR doesn't have a touchscreen, so it doesn't fulfill everything the OP was looking for. I don't see how suggesting laptops that do fully match the requirements he posted is "fucking around".

well i mean the 256gb is like $2400 if you could stretch that far :P and i havent had any complaints other than when i messed with my mouse and had to go to the store to realize it was a simple fix. but the battery is good, lasts usually 4-6 hours depending on what im doing and if i have battery saver on :P battery saver is a life saver

Wall power bound peasants :P :P :P If that is enough for you then that is great...

But I'd just like to point out that the 13" retina MacBook Pro does 9-10 in such tasks...

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

Like you said, the MBPR doesn't have a touchscreen, so it doesn't fulfill everything the OP was looking for. I don't see how suggesting laptops that do fully match the requirements he posted is "fucking around".

But for programming and CAD touchscreens are useless. Nobody has posted a laptop that fully matches his specifications, at least not as closely as the MBPR does.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Wall power bound peasants :P :P :P If that is enough for you then that is great...

But I'd just like to point out that the 13" retina MacBook Pro does 9-10 in such tasks...

does the 13 inch mbp have a gtx 870m? NAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Oh my god do not buy that thing, that is way overpriced. That could be sold for $1000 less and STILL be expensive.

Are you willing at all to sacrifice touch screen and IPS panel for an otherwise-fantastic laptop?

I would be willing to maybe sacrifice the touchscreen but the ips display is a must.

But for programming and CAD touchscreens are useless. Nobody has posted a laptop that fully matches his specifications, at least not as closely as the MBPR does.

I would not be using the touchscreen for programming or CAD, I would use it most when browsing the web and other stuff.