Amd and nvidia gpus in same system, how do I tell the pc to use a certain one for graphics?

mkessler9
Go to solution Solved by mkessler9,

I fixed the problem myself. No thanks to you people who responded... It really makes me mad when I ask a question expecting a straight up answer but then instead I get a bunch of people telling me I'm insane for putting both in a system even though they don't know my reasoning behind it.

Also, I would like to thank @TheSLSAMG for actually understanding why I was getting frustrated 

Ok so I have a gtx 760 in my system, I recently just got a older amd gpu from a friend that didn't need it... I installed it into my pc and now my computer automatically uses the amd graphics card. How can I tell it to use the 760 for the graphics and the amd for whatever I decide to do with it later?

Thanks!

Gaming rig- Cpu- Amd 9590, 16gbs of G Skill Ram, Gpu- GTX 760 windforce 3 edition 2gb. A Thermaltake water 2.0 water cooler for my cpu. Keyboard- Thermaltake Posieden , Case- 750D, Mobo Asus 990fx R2.0. 24 inch Dell LED monitor

Remove the AMD card, simple as that.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

i think the better option is to take the AMD card out and use it in another system or sell it for money.

Remove the AMD card, simple as that.

How about an easy and smart option lol take the amd one out xD

Or or or!!!! I can just leave it in because I want to -_-

Gaming rig- Cpu- Amd 9590, 16gbs of G Skill Ram, Gpu- GTX 760 windforce 3 edition 2gb. A Thermaltake water 2.0 water cooler for my cpu. Keyboard- Thermaltake Posieden , Case- 750D, Mobo Asus 990fx R2.0. 24 inch Dell LED monitor

Build another PC? 

Edit: Linus made a video about this, watch it

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

Or or or!!!! I can just leave it in because I want to -_-

Then enjoy your amd graphics.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

or have it in your mobo but not fully put into the pci slot :3 then it will look like it is in it o_O

What amd gpu is this exactly

Then enjoy your amd graphics.

Well thanks for your help! *SARCASM

What amd gpu is this exactly

It doesn't have anything to do with what I'm asking

It could actually have something to do with what you are asking.

Also just plug your monitors into the NVidia card and it should use that.

Yes it does actually, because if it is a higher tier gpu then your 760 it could be the cause, just answer the question

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

If you have it put in then the 760 wont work but I guess go check in your bios graphics settings and disable a pci slot or Or OR "may" work :P go into Device Manager and select display adapters then enable the 760 and disable the amd

what amd gpu is it though just asking out of curiousity

If you have it put in then the 760 wont work but I guess go check in your bios graphics settings and disable a pci slot or Or OR "may" work :P go into Device Manager and select display adapters then enable the 760 and disable the amd

Tried disabling the card in device manager, then rebooted. Still using amd card even though it says the card has been disabled

Tried disabling the card in device manager, then rebooted. Still using amd card even though it says the card has been disabled

Try this

1. Reboot and turn on bios

2. Look for a thing labelled "PCI or "Hardware"

3. Find the pci slot you want disable

4. Disable it

5. Save and quit and wait for the reboot

This has to work as I just tried it and I am currently uusing my integrated graphics as it doesnt see that pci slot so Good Luck :D 

Report Back if it worked or if it didnt 

I feel like this is a really stupid question to be asking....but, is your monitor connected to the Nvidia card or AMD card? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I feel like this is a really stupid question to be asking....but, is your monitor connected to the Nvidia card or AMD card? 

Haha It could be the cause because if the monitor was in the 760 then there would be no picture :P

Try this

1. Reboot and turn on bios

2. Look for a thing labelled "PCI or "Hardware"

3. Find the pci slot you want disable

4. Disable it

5. Save and quit and wait for the reboot

This has to work as I just tried it and I am currently uusing my integrated graphics as it doesnt see that pci slot so Good Luck :D

Report Back if it worked or if it didnt 

I actually tried that first but my $180 motherboard doesn't seem to change between which gpu I use. I actually just reorderd the cards so the 760 was closer to the cpu, so now its using the 760 and still detects the amd card.

I have 4 monitors...I had some connected to both to see which gpu it was using...

I actually tried that first but my $180 motherboard doesn't seem to change between which gpu I use. I actually just reorderd the cards so the 760 was closer to the cpu, so now its using the 760 and still detects the amd card.

I have 4 monitors...I had some connected to both to see which gpu it was using...

They're going to use whatever monitor they're plugged into...

An Nvidia card can't send a signal to a monitor connected to an AMD card

Nvidia also only supports up to 3 monitors (iirc) 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Well the easiest solution is to take it out or I guess use the amd I dont know of any different ways too disable it

They're going to use whatever monitor they're plugged into...

An Nvidia card can't send a signal to a monitor connected to an AMD card

Nvidia also only supports up to 3 monitors (iirc) 

Well the easiest solution is to take it out or I guess use the amd I dont know of any different ways too disable it

Did either of ya'll read what I just said? I said it works now. It's working the way I want it to. And no sir your wrong, the 760 supports 3 monitors for surround and then 1 more monitor as a extra display....

Did either of ya'll read what I just said? I said it works now. It's working the way I want it to. And no sir your wrong, the 760 supports 3 monitors for surround and then 1 more monitor as a extra display....

oh ok :P

be smart and remove one, youre not going to need both anyway so whats the point, just more heat and power consumption soooo yeh i really dont get it :P and if they amd card is older why use it anyway? the 760 will give you better results and you know it :S

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

be smart and remove one, youre not going to need both anyway so whats the point, just more heat and power consumption soooo yeh i really dont get it :P and if they amd card is older why use it anyway? the 760 will give you better results and you know it :S

Yes I do know the 760 is more powerful.... I have the gpu and I want to use it so I am going to use it. My power bill, my computer, so therefor I can do what I want with it. Even if other people such as you don't see the logic in it...

Yes I do know the 760 is more powerful.... I have the gpu and I want to use it so I am going to use it. My power bill, my computer, so therefor I can do what I want with it. Even if other people such as you don't see the logic in it...

i think any logical pc user would use the 1, more powerful gpu and dump the other one, theres no point in having it in the system, simple as that. would you mind enlightening me as to why youre keeping the amd card in there?

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

i think any logical pc user would use the 1, more powerful gpu and dump the other one, theres no point in having it in the system, simple as that. would you mind enlightening me as to why youre keeping the amd card in there?

For starters, insulting some one because you don't know the whole story isn't the propper way to go...

Because your being such a pain I'll tell you one reason I'm going to use the card for, and that reason would be for Folding, it won't affect my daily programs but I will still be helping out a little to the organization when my pc is on.