New rig specs - What are your thoughts?

Fleutius

Hi there.

I have long wished to get a new gaming rig, but have not been able to find the money for it for a long time.

The last time i got a new PC, was 5 years ago, and even though i had build one of my own before, i ordered a premade. Sorry world, will not be doing that again.

I have been hard at work, trying to find a good set of parts that would work together, and luckily I have a "sponsor" for the build (My job)

I have chosen the parts on the following criteria:

Longevity

Overclocking possibilities (although minor, CPU cooling might be found later)

and raw power.

The parts:

CPU:      Intel Core i7 - 4790K

Mobo:    MSI Z97 Gaming 3

GPU:     Asus gtx770-DC2OC-4GD5

RAM:     Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 - 2x8

PSU:      Corsair RM750

Cooling: Noctua NH-U12s

SSD:      Samsung EVO 840 - 120gb

Case:     Zalman Z9 plus.

I will be going with the standard case fans that comes with the Z9 plus for the time beeing, i really wanted to upgrade them to Noctua fans (The looks really dont bother me that much, when you know what it stands for) but that will come little by little.

I know that the case might not be the perfect case for a build in this price range, but on the other hand, i have heard a lot of good things about the Z9 plus.

What are your thoughts on this setup?

If I made any major spelling mistakes, then please take into considaration that English is not my native toungue ;)

Well If you are only gaming the 4790K is not worth it, get a i5 4690K. And I would get a different case. Other then that great build.

what are you gonna be doing with this rig?

if just gaming, go with the i5 4690k and get a different case.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

I thought alot about going with the I5 instead, and i might do, but what turned me to the I7 instead was hyperthreading.

I am completely aware that hyperthreading is not yet a technology that is well implemented in games, but the same was the situation when 64 bit systems was beginning to get foothold.

Everybody told me that it would not be worth it to get a 64 bit CPU, but due to me keeping my systems for a long time, it ended up being a great purchase

That said, the difference between the i7 and i5 here in Denmark is only about 110$

While they could be spent on a fan or two, it would be hard to explain that to the boss ;)

If you go with the i5 you could buy a better gpu. Like a 290.

Honestly, from what i have found, the gtx770 aint half bad, and i am keeping to Nvidia gpu's simply because i like them better (to each their own)

I would definatly not. Look again ;) 2 x 8 gb :P

I know  :P Just saying: Don't get 8GB for a new build. It's not that expensive and it's bullshit that you only need 8GB for gaming, because everyone knows you're gonna have 10 tabs open on chrome, watching livestreams etc while gaming. Along with maybe a skype call etc

I know  :P Just saying: Don't get 8GB for a new build. It's not that expensive and it's bullshit that you only need 8GB for gaming, because everyone knows you're gonna have 10 tabs open on chrome, watching livestreams etc while gaming. Along with maybe a skype call etc

i just edited my post when i saw that you weren't referring to me ;)

To clarify a thing with the choice of CPU.

I have ZERO, knowledge in the art of overclocking. While i would like to learn, the fact that the i7 has a stock clock speed of 4.0Ghz instead of 3.5 for the i5 does mean something.

Honestly, from what i have found, the gtx770 aint half bad, and i am keeping to Nvidia gpu's simply because i like them better (to each their own)

Okay, i understand as a nVidia user myself. It is a bit of an premium but worth it in my mind.

REMEMBER TO QUOTE SO I GET A NOTIFCATION! Add me on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Shroomster/ Review(s) more to come

I was thinking if you go purely for performance.

I am going for performance, and i would have liked to go for a titan or the like, but i am also trying not to overdo it too much.

In the perfect world, where money had no limits, the system would look a whole lot different :P

ha that makes me laugh a browser with more than 10+ tabs will take around 1 gb max and how much ram are your games utilizing ?

i don't use chrome but my firefox uses at 11 tabs 564mb ram with 2 hd video's playing at same time my system uses 3.2gb ram when nothing is open and at desktop and when all things open with few small things etc i got 4.5gb.

tell me what game uses more than 3.5gb ram ?

here is a link with a test (not mine) https://www.facebook.com/IamApropos/photos/pb.329126627146166.-2207520000.1367620048./519456198113207/?type=3&permPage=1

even when he got guildwars open the system is not running above 4 gb use.

ha that makes me laugh a browser with more than 10+ tabs will take around 1 gb max and how much ram are your games utilizing ?

i don't use chrome but my firefox uses at 11 tabs 564mb ram with 2 hd video's playing at same time my system uses 3.2gb ram when nothing is open and at desktop and when all things open with few small things etc i got 4.5gb.

tell me what game uses more than 3.5gb ram ?

here is a link with a test (not mine) https://www.facebook.com/IamApropos/photos/pb.329126627146166.-2207520000.1367620048./519456198113207/?type=3&permPage=1

even when he got guildwars open the system is not running above 4 gb use. 

Whatever ;) Chrome uses 400MB with 4 tabs open atm, This game I'm playing uses 1.4GB, Then I'm also botting which is another GB, the OS also takes a lot, And all my background programs such as launchers and skype etc. I'm using 6.5GB ram atm, 16GB is really something you cannot miss out on.

Whatever ;) Chrome uses 400MB with 4 tabs open atm, This game I'm playing uses 1.4GB, Then I'm also botting which is another GB, the OS also takes a lot, And all my background programs such as launchers and skype etc. I'm using 6.5GB ram atm, 16GB is really something you cannot miss out on.

If he gets the 8Gb RAM he will be able to use that extra $60 he is left with to get a R9 290. Its obviously a good choice to stick to 8 Gb of RAM and invest in better graphics card.

If he gets the 8Gb RAM he will be able to use that extra $60 he is left with to get a R9 290. Its obviously a good choice to stick to 8 Gb of RAM and invest in better graphics card.

He already said he rather sticks with Nvidia

He already said he rather sticks with Nvidia

The performance that a R9 290 offers over a GTX 770 is significant. Its OP's choice in the end. I am just suggesting a better combination of parts.

Hi there.

I have long wished to get a new gaming rig, but have not been able to find the money for it for a long time.

The last time i got a new PC, was 5 years ago, and even though i had build one of my own before, i ordered a premade. Sorry world, will not be doing that again.

I have been hard at work, trying to find a good set of parts that would work together, and luckily I have a "sponsor" for the build (My job)

I have chosen the parts on the following criteria:

Longevity

Overclocking possibilities (although minor, CPU cooling might be found later)

and raw power.

The parts:

CPU:      Intel Core i7 - 4790K

Mobo:    MSI Z97 Gaming 3

GPU:     Asus gtx770-DC2OC-4GD5

RAM:     Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 - 2x8

PSU:      Corsair RM750

Cooling: Noctua NH-U12s

SSD:      Samsung EVO 840 - 120gb

Case:     Zalman Z9 plus.

I will be going with the standard case fans that comes with the Z9 plus for the time beeing, i really wanted to upgrade them to Noctua fans (The looks really dont bother me that much, when you know what it stands for) but that will come little by little.

I know that the case might not be the perfect case for a build in this price range, but on the other hand, i have heard a lot of good things about the Z9 plus.

What are your thoughts on this setup?

If I made any major spelling mistakes, then please take into considaration that English is not my native toungue ;)

Where are you buying from ? I would suggest a better power supply. The RM is okayish but you can usually get better for the same/less money.

I am buying from a Danish retailer.

I actually heard okay things about the RM PSU.

And I really like that it is fully

Modular

I am buying from a Danish retailer.

I actually heard okay things about the RM PSU.

And I really like that it is fully

Modular

The RM is pretty average for the price. The psu below is much better. I don't know which store you are buying from so I just linked to a random one.

https://www.fcomputer.dk/hardware/str%C3%B8mforsyning/evga/supernova-750-g2-80-plus.html

Thank you for the input, but I think I am staying with the corsair RM750

Might check a few reviews tomorrow when I am at a computer though :-)

The performance that a R9 290 offers over a GTX 770 is significant. Its OP's choice in the end. I am just suggesting a better combination of parts.

I was actually against going for a 290, but I just checked some reviews of sapphires Radeon r9 290 tri-x

Solved a lot of the heat issues and yes you are correct, much better performance.

To make it even better I found a store with that exact card on offer for a good 40$ less then the asus gtx770 4gb version.

I will go that route ;)