Pump/res Combos and Things

Hey guys,

I'm looking to watercool my rig by the end of this year. I have some questions for you regarding pumps, reservoirs and things.

Firstly, I know a couple of people who tend to stay away from front bay reservoirs for one reason or another. I can imagine filling one might be tricky due to the nature of how it is situated (can anyone tell me if that's true?). I also know there are pump/front bay res combos, which I've also heard of people not liking so much. I do know that tubing runs to the front bays don't look so nice, but I may end up being restricted for space for a res by radiators when I plan out my build more. 

Next, is there a great deal of point in using dual pumps for redundancy. I know Linus has one pump in his rig that has been going for ages, so can someone recommend an uber-reliable pump for me?

Thanks if you can help

bchampion96

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

Bay reservoirs are only tricky to fill if you use the top 5.25 inch drive bays, otherwise they are just as hard to fill as anything else.

When picking a pump pick a laing pump. There are two Laing pumps; the D5 and the DDC. The D5 is bigger, quieter, slightly better and more expensive. However, the DDC is still a very good pump. There is only one res for the D5 that you should avoid. Take your pick and I'll let you know fi you pick the bad one, don't worry about it otherwise. :)

Laing pumps have a 50,000hour MTBF. That is something around 6 years of running non-stop before they fail.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Bay reservoirs are only tricky to fill if you use the top 5.25 inch drive bays, otherwise they are just as hard to fill as anything else.

When picking a pump pick a laing pump. There are two Laing pumps; the D5 and the DDC. The D5 is bigger, quieter, slightly better and more expensive. However, the DDC is still a very good pump. There is only one res for the D5 that you should avoid. Take your pick and I'll let you know fi you pick the bad one, don't worry about it otherwise. :)

Laing pumps have a 50,000hour MTBF. That is something around 6 years of running non-stop before they fail.

6 years sounds pretty darn epic. Thanks for your advice. I'll get res hunting :P

*edit* Looking like I'll go with something along these lines

http://www.xs-pc.com/products/reservoirs/dual-5-25%E2%80%9D-bay-reservoir-alu-front/

http://frozenqshop.com/products/reservoirs/bayres.html

Depends how fancy I feel :P

i can get the Laing DDC for 50 quid from a UK website, so I think that's a good idea

What is the res for the D5 that you should avoid? I have never heard about it before (maybe cause there is only one)...

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

What is the res for the D5 that you should avoid? I have never heard about it before (maybe cause there is only one)...

There's a black XSPC one. Not to be confused with other black XSPC ones. That's why I didn't want it to affect bchampion's choice.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

There's a black XSPC one. Not to be confused with other black XSPC ones. That's why I didn't want it to affect bchampion's choice.

Uh-Oh. That wasn't the one I chose was it? :P

Uh-Oh. That wasn't the one I chose was it? :P

Nope. :)

You choose the clear acrylic one. See its confusing. ;)

Nope. :)

You choose the clear acrylic one. See its confusing. ;)

Damn them :P What is it about the black one that makes it incompatible with a pump? :/

Damn them :P What is it about the black one that makes it incompatible with a pump? :/

It has has been known to "un-glue" between the acrylic/plastic sheets that it is made of.

It has has been known to "un-glue" between the acrylic/plastic sheets that it is made of.

That sounds dodgy and a half :P

That sounds dodgy and a half :P

Not everyone has the issue but its still something to watch out for and a reason not to buy it.

Okay. 

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.