Building my first PC

Migit

Looking at reviews on youtube for performance across the GTX 780, 780Ti, Titan and R9 290, 290x.

There honestly didnt look like there were any massive performance changes between the 5 cards.

Each game, resolution change effected each card differently, and they swapped between which was the better card AMD or Nvidia

I currently use Nvidia and I do love it, its worked perfectly for years, but I'm not sure that the added expense is worth it.

I re-did the build you did earlier, just to incorporate the i7 and the case I preferred as seen here:    http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/rLV9wP

Because at the end of the day Im happy to pay the $125 or whatever it is for the CPU upgrade even if I never use the extra resource of the hyper-threading.

I looked into reviews on gaming on both the i5 and i7, running identical hardware, and the i5 does have more FPS drops, yes they were pretty much unnoticeable, but if they're already concurring, it'll just get worse as games progress, so why not just pay $100 now, rather than $300+ later.

That's great but XFX coolers have a bad rep, and you still have to buy a keyboard and OS. If I was you I REALLY would get the Tri-X or Vapor-X

Besides, a WD Black edition instead of the Barracuda is better.

I know it's really your own choice, but why get an phanteks enthoo luxe when there's a pro version available for 80 dollars less? and it's much better

That's great but XFX coolers have a bad rep, and you still have to buy a keyboard and OS. If I was you I REALLY would get the Tri-X or Vapor-X

Besides, a WD Black edition instead of the Barracuda is better.

I know it's really your own choice, but why get an phanteks enthoo luxe when there's a pro version available for 80 dollars less? and it's much better

oh really? I didnt know that about the XFX its what was recommended to me the first time I came to this site.

Ill look at the others then.

Do harddrives really change that much? I know theres a speed difference between SSD and HDD but I thought all HDD were pretty much the same? Barracuda was just cheap.

Personally I just like the asthetics of the Luxe, I like the leds pre built into the case. I've been running with Alienware for years now, and I love being able to quickly and easily change something as simple as lighting for a more personal touch.

Also I wouldnt say the Pro is much better, its slightly smaller, comes with one less fan and mounting bracket, and doesnt come with the power supply cover. Then the LEDs are removed as well. So they took $80 of the price.

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.0GHz | MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Hero | RAM: G.Skill Trident 16GB DDR3-2400 | Graphics: EVGA GTX980 Superclocked

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / WD Black 2TB / WD Green 4TB | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850W 80+ Gold | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

oh really? I didnt know that about the XFX its what was recommended to me the first time I came to this site.

Ill look at the others then.

Do harddrives really change that much? I know theres a speed difference between SSD and HDD but I thought all HDD were pretty much the same? Barracuda was just cheap.

Personally I just like the asthetics of the Luxe, I like the leds pre built into the case. I've been running with Alienware for years now, and I love being able to quickly and easily change something as simple as lighting for a more personal touch.

Also I wouldnt say the Pro is much better, its slightly smaller, comes with one less fan and mounting bracket, and doesnt come with the power supply cover. Then the LEDs are removed as well. So they took $80 of the price.

The pro isn't smaller, it's also a full tower, and it comes with a PSU cover :P check out reviews about it

There's not a huge difference between HDDs, but if you're buying one anyways go for the black edition, it's not more expensive and it's slightly better

The pro isn't smaller, it's also a full tower, and it comes with a PSU cover :P check out reviews about it

There's not a huge difference between HDDs, but if you're buying one anyways go for the black edition, it's not more expensive and it's slightly better

According to PC Case Gears dimensions the Pro is 25mm shorter than the Luxe :P its only 235mm tall, compared to the luxs 260mm.

But length and width are the same.

But I do agree with you it is a very nice case, and if I wasnt such a smuck thats attracted to the pretty lights, it would definetly be a better choice. But hey we can all make a bad decsion every now and then right? :P

Okay, ill look into the black edition then.

Also for the graphics cards. Why is Gigabyte Windforce $50 cheaper on part picker? are they any good.

I watched some reviews for the other ones you recommended. The Vapor-X is the better card, but is apparently more costly, but Tri-X is still ment to be good. Also Vapor-X doesnt appear on part picker

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.0GHz | MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Hero | RAM: G.Skill Trident 16GB DDR3-2400 | Graphics: EVGA GTX980 Superclocked

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / WD Black 2TB / WD Green 4TB | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850W 80+ Gold | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

According to PC Case Gears dimensions the Pro is 25mm shorter than the Luxe :P its only 235mm tall, compared to the luxs 260mm.

But length and width are the same.

But I do agree with you it is a very nice case, and if I wasnt such a smuck thats attracted to the pretty lights, it would definetly be a better choice. But hey we can all make a bad decsion every now and then right? :P

Okay, ill look into the black edition then.

Also for the graphics cards. Why is Gigabyte Windforce $50 cheaper on part picker? are they any good.

I watched some reviews for the other ones you recommended. The Vapor-X is the better card, but is apparently more costly, but Tri-X is still ment to be good. Also Vapor-X doesnt appear on part picker

I don't know, windforce coolers are great, but for the 290 I'd really go with a vapor-x or tri-x, if one doesn't appear on pcpartpicker just go to amazon or other sites you buy from and add them manually on pcpartpicker

Hey guys,

I posted here a month ago, maybe a bit longer, looking for ideas on a good build for a new PC for myself.

I got some great help and ideas, now that I actually have a bit of savings behind me, so can really start considering attempting to buy parts and put together a rig. Figured I should return and get the advice a tips I need to make sure I dont screw this up :P

So onto the upgrading stuff. I filled out the why am I upgrading form last time, but I'll repost it just so were all up to date.

1. Budget & Location

I'll set the budget at $2500 AUD (im in Australia) but would consider going higher for extra performance. (at the current date, i can push as far as $3100 i think, but with future pay checks, i can continue to upgrade if need be)

2. Aim

This system will be used for playing my Steam library, (Skyrim, Darksouls, Bioshock Infinite, Far Cry 3 etc), as well as games such as League of Legends. I'd also like capabilites to attempt Streaming Gameplay, and possibly video editing for youtube clips. Otherwise, it will just be simple small stuff, (eg/ browsing the internet and watching movies)

3. Monitors

I'd like a Dual monitor set up, maybe with the option to add a 3rd one day (if i ever found a reason to need a 3rd monitor), I dont know heaps about how resolution is rated, but Id like a clear high def image for gaming and watching movies. This area is something I would really like some input on, should I buy just standard 1080p (1980x1080) or bigger to 2560x1080 or 2560x1440 or up again to the new 4k stuff at 3840x2160? Also some monitors are listed as IPS which Im not clear on what that is. And are 3d Monitors always 3d, or a turn on and off thing?

3 different monitors that I looked at were:

ASUS VG248QE 24in Widescreen 144Hz 3D Monitor - http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=558_1094&products_id=22711

ASUS PA248Q 24in IPS LED Widescreen Monitor - http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=558_1094&products_id=21119

BenQ XL2411Z 24in LED 144Hz Gaming Monitor - http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=558_1094&products_id=27743

Are they worthwhile? should I be looking at something completely different? Thanks. Is 24" average monitor size nowadays? I feel like 27" would be massive (currently on a 14" laptop) so dont have a clue at what size I should be looking at.

4. Peripherals

I'll need a keyboard, any recommendations for gaming and comfortable everyday use? The rest of my peripherals are Razer. (naga mouse, kraken headset etc) Should I keep with them for a keyboard (Ive really liked the stuff I own) or is it not worth the price tag they attach?

And for OS, I've gone for Windows 7, but should I be getting 8.1? to me the tablet like layout seems like it would be annoying on a PC?

5. Why are you upgrading?

I'm upgrading because I currently use a Alienware M14x laptop, I purchased 4-5 years ago now. It's been a great laptop, but now I don't really ever take it from place to place, it's slowing down a bit, and as games are progressing the 3GB GeForce GT 555M in my laptop can no longer play games at max settings without lag/fps drops. I will probably still keep the laptop for convinence, and I love the design and feel of it, im not certain its still upgradeable though (as in can handle newer graphics cards or more RAM etc).

So now the build I'm looking at, its pretty much what was recommended to me last time except I changed the case, made the harddrive bigger, and added, Disc drive and Wireless card.

I understand wireless on a desktop isn't optimal, but with current living situation and location of the PC ethernet cables arent an option. So it'll have to do for now

PCPartPicker part list - http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/3n77sY

Price breakdown by merchant - http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/3n77sY/by_merchant/

CPU - Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor | $392.00 @ PCCaseGear

CPU Cooler - Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler | $89.00 @ PCCaseGear

Motherboard - ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard | $189.00 @ PLE Computers

Memory - Kingston Fury Black Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory | $189.00 @ Centre Com

Storage - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive | $139.00 @ Centre Com

Storage - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive | $95.00 @ CPL Online

Video Card - XFX Radeon R9 290X 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card | $569.00 @ PLE Computers

Case - Phanteks Enthoo Luxe ATX Full Tower Case | $179.00 @ PCCaseGear

Power Supply - EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply | $187.00 @ CPL Online

Optical Drive - LG BH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer | $89.00 @ CPL Online

Operating System - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) | $115.00 @ CPL Online

Wireless Network Adapter - TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter | $44.00 @ CPL Online

Total

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available | $2276.00

Any thoughts on this?, should I be changing anything?, will this build fit in the case?

Also the pick part  website brought up this alert when I finished recreating the list - Some Intel Z87 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Haswell Refresh CPUs.

Is this something I should be concerned about?

Also if we think no changes are necessary, can the components and the case hold future upgrades if they're deemed necessary. Eg/ another set of RAM to take it to 32gb, or a second Video Card to run in Crossfire?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide on build, monitors, keyboards, or even just advice on getting it all together correctly.

The Blu-Ray drive isn't necessary IMO. Save yourself some money, and Windows 8.1 will boot straight to the desktop so the Metro (modern) UI isn't as annoying.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($267.00 @ PCCaseGear)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($59.00 @ CPL Online)

Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($130.00 @ Centre Com)

Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($185.00 @ CPL Online)

Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($139.00 @ Mwave Australia)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($95.00 @ CPL Online)

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($569.00 @ PCCaseGear)

Case: Thermaltake Core V71 ATX Full Tower Case  ($199.00 @ CPL Online)

Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/RSBS DVD/CD Writer  ($20.00 @ Mwave Australia)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($115.00 @ CPL Online)

Monitor: Asus MX239H 23.0" Monitor  ($299.00 @ PLE Computers)

Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Tournament Edition Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($95.00 @ MechKB)

Total: $2471.00

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-25 13:38 EST+1000

Gaming/Editing PC: AMD FX-8350 | CM Seidon 120V Liquid Cooler | Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard | G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600| Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB WINDFORCE | PNY XLR8 240GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD | Corsair 600W ATX Semi-Modular PSU | Thermaltake Chaser A71 | LG 25UM64-S 25.0" 2560 x 1080 Display | CM Storm Devastator Gaming Keyboard & Mouse

The Blu-Ray drive isn't necessary IMO. Save yourself some money, and Windows 8.1 will boot straight to the desktop so the Metro (modern) UI isn't as annoying.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($267.00 @ PCCaseGear)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($59.00 @ CPL Online)

Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($130.00 @ Centre Com)

Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($185.00 @ CPL Online)

Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($139.00 @ Mwave Australia)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($95.00 @ CPL Online)

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($569.00 @ PCCaseGear)

Case: Thermaltake Core V71 ATX Full Tower Case  ($199.00 @ CPL Online)

Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/RSBS DVD/CD Writer  ($20.00 @ Mwave Australia)

Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Tournament Edition Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($95.00 @ MechKB)

Total: $2471.00

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-25 13:38 EST+1000

Can you give some detail on why you chose this build for me?

I'm assuming the i5 cause as most people have said I wont use an i7 to its full capability and a i5 will support my use quite well whilst being the cheaper option.

I still know very little about motherboards, so why that one?

Why did you pick the GTX 780? when there is the 780Ti or the R9 290s that most people have suggested I pick between?

Your also the first person to add a more expensive case to the build rather than dropping my choice of Luxe to the Pro by Phantek, so why did you choose this case?

And finally your build has no power supply :P

Sorry for all the questions, but I've spent 2 days asking questions, watching YouTube, reading reviews and product websites, trying to learn as much as I can as quick as I can.

Though slowly realizing, theirs not always a huge difference between products, people just have favorites due to previous experience or hearsay

Hey guys,

I posted here a month ago, maybe a bit longer, looking for ideas on a good build for a new PC for myself.

I got some great help and ideas, now that I actually have a bit of savings behind me, so can really start considering attempting to buy parts and put together a rig. Figured I should return and get the advice a tips I need to make sure I dont screw this up :P

So onto the upgrading stuff. I filled out the why am I upgrading form last time, but I'll repost it just so were all up to date.

1. Budget & Location

I'll set the budget at $2500 AUD (im in Australia) but would consider going higher for extra performance. (at the current date, i can push as far as $3100 i think, but with future pay checks, i can continue to upgrade if need be)

2. Aim

This system will be used for playing my Steam library, (Skyrim, Darksouls, Bioshock Infinite, Far Cry 3 etc), as well as games such as League of Legends. I'd also like capabilites to attempt Streaming Gameplay, and possibly video editing for youtube clips. Otherwise, it will just be simple small stuff, (eg/ browsing the internet and watching movies)

3. Monitors

I'd like a Dual monitor set up, maybe with the option to add a 3rd one day (if i ever found a reason to need a 3rd monitor), I dont know heaps about how resolution is rated, but Id like a clear high def image for gaming and watching movies. This area is something I would really like some input on, should I buy just standard 1080p (1980x1080) or bigger to 2560x1080 or 2560x1440 or up again to the new 4k stuff at 3840x2160? Also some monitors are listed as IPS which Im not clear on what that is. And are 3d Monitors always 3d, or a turn on and off thing?

3 different monitors that I looked at were:

ASUS VG248QE 24in Widescreen 144Hz 3D Monitor - http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=558_1094&products_id=22711

ASUS PA248Q 24in IPS LED Widescreen Monitor - http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=558_1094&products_id=21119

BenQ XL2411Z 24in LED 144Hz Gaming Monitor - http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=558_1094&products_id=27743

Are they worthwhile? should I be looking at something completely different? Thanks. Is 24" average monitor size nowadays? I feel like 27" would be massive (currently on a 14" laptop) so dont have a clue at what size I should be looking at.

4. Peripherals

I'll need a keyboard, any recommendations for gaming and comfortable everyday use? The rest of my peripherals are Razer. (naga mouse, kraken headset etc) Should I keep with them for a keyboard (Ive really liked the stuff I own) or is it not worth the price tag they attach?

And for OS, I've gone for Windows 7, but should I be getting 8.1? to me the tablet like layout seems like it would be annoying on a PC?

5. Why are you upgrading?

I'm upgrading because I currently use a Alienware M14x laptop, I purchased 4-5 years ago now. It's been a great laptop, but now I don't really ever take it from place to place, it's slowing down a bit, and as games are progressing the 3GB GeForce GT 555M in my laptop can no longer play games at max settings without lag/fps drops. I will probably still keep the laptop for convinence, and I love the design and feel of it, im not certain its still upgradeable though (as in can handle newer graphics cards or more RAM etc).

So now the build I'm looking at, its pretty much what was recommended to me last time except I changed the case, made the harddrive bigger, and added, Disc drive and Wireless card.

I understand wireless on a desktop isn't optimal, but with current living situation and location of the PC ethernet cables arent an option. So it'll have to do for now

PCPartPicker part list - http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/3n77sY

Price breakdown by merchant - http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/3n77sY/by_merchant/

CPU - Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor | $392.00 @ PCCaseGear

CPU Cooler - Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler | $89.00 @ PCCaseGear

Motherboard - ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard | $189.00 @ PLE Computers

Memory - Kingston Fury Black Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory | $189.00 @ Centre Com

Storage - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive | $139.00 @ Centre Com

Storage - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive | $95.00 @ CPL Online

Video Card - XFX Radeon R9 290X 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card | $569.00 @ PLE Computers

Case - Phanteks Enthoo Luxe ATX Full Tower Case | $179.00 @ PCCaseGear

Power Supply - EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply | $187.00 @ CPL Online

Optical Drive - LG BH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer | $89.00 @ CPL Online

Operating System - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) | $115.00 @ CPL Online

Wireless Network Adapter - TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter | $44.00 @ CPL Online

Total

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available | $2276.00

Any thoughts on this?, should I be changing anything?, will this build fit in the case?

Also the pick part  website brought up this alert when I finished recreating the list - Some Intel Z87 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Haswell Refresh CPUs.

Is this something I should be concerned about?

Also if we think no changes are necessary, can the components and the case hold future upgrades if they're deemed necessary. Eg/ another set of RAM to take it to 32gb, or a second Video Card to run in Crossfire?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide on build, monitors, keyboards, or even just advice on getting it all together correctly.

I'd say go for the dual Asus VG248QE's but if you have the extra money, go with some kick ass 27" monitors like some BenQ XL2720Z's although these are meant for gaming, they are still really good monitors.

I'd say go for the dual Asus VG248QE's but if you have the extra money, go with some kick ass 27" monitors like some BenQ XL2720Z's although these are meant for gaming, they are still really good monitors.

I'm glad you picked that Asus one, I think theyre what I'm going to go with.

And I did think of 27" screens but honestly, I think they might be a bit big. especially if I get 2 or more. Im only on a regular sized bedroom desk, and it does have other things on it.

Plus my current screen is a 14" laptop screen, so even the 24" will seem massive to begin with

I'm glad you picked that Asus one, I think theyre what I'm going to go with.

And I did think of 27" screens but honestly, I think they might be a bit big. especially if I get 2 or more. Im only on a regular sized bedroom desk, and it does have other things on it.

Plus my current screen is a 14" laptop screen, so even the 24" will seem massive to begin with

Im currently building my PC and I was so close to getting the VG248QE but I figured that for an extra $105 bucks, I can get the BenQ XL2720Z which I really like. But I gotta say that even me going BenQ, I still like Asus more. Don't know why, maybe because they're things come with good quality.

Fair enough, think ill stick with the Asus

After discussion here, other forums, youtube reviews, written reviews, and discussing with friends and there experiences with companies. Ive redone my pc part picker to suit what seems to be better options.

Can I get your thoughts? CPU Cooler is the thing im most uncertain on at the moment, this one seems to be highly popular though, so figured it was a safe choice

PCPartPicker part list: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/hcWqrH
Price breakdown by merchant: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/hcWqrH/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($392.00 @ PCCaseGear)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($149.00 @ CPL Online)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($273.00 @ CPL Online)
Memory: G.Skill Trident X 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($212.99 @ Mwave Australia)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($139.00 @ Centre Com)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($165.00 @ Centre Com)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Superclocked Video Card  ($849.00 @ CPL Online)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe ATX Full Tower Case  ($179.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Gold S 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($175.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Optical Drive: LG BH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  ($89.00 @ CPL Online)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor  ($445.00 @ CPL Online)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($44.00 @ CPL Online)
Total: $3226.99

I've finally finished deciding on parts this is the build I'm going to get:

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe ATX Full Tower Case - $179.00

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  - $385.00

CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler  - $89.00

Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  - $264.00

Video Card: ASUS Graphics Cards MATRIX-GTX780TI-P-3GD5 - $843.30

Memory: G.Skill Trident X 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory - $209.00

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  - $134.00

Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  - $162.00

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 850Watt 80+ Gold Full Modular PSU - $189.00

Optical Drive: LG BH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  - $87.00

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  - $107.00       

Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor - $442.00

Monitor: Asus PB248Q 60Hz 24.1" Monitor  - $409.00

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  - $44

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth - $135.00

PC Total: $2,692.30

Accessories: $986.00

Total: $3,678.30

The WD Black is much more expensive than the Seagate Barracuda or WD Blue. Depending on the market it is usually around 30% more expensive.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

The WD Black is much more expensive than the Seagate Barracuda or WD Blue. Depending on the market it is usually around 30% more expensive.

I thought the same thing, but apparently the WD Black is really reliable and the Barracuda has something like a 30% failure rate?

I thought the same thing, but apparently the WD Black is really reliable and the Barracuda has something like a 30% failure rate?

Can you link any empirical data to support those claims, especially for current models? I certainly cannot.

I have used both Black and Barracuda, and Blue & Green for that matter. Other than Green (which I have never had success with), I have found them to have roughly equivalent reliability.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Can you link any empirical data to support those claims, especially for current models? I certainly cannot.

I have used both Black and Barracuda, and Blue & Green for that matter. Other than Green (which I have never had success with), I have found them to have roughly equivalent reliability.

I dont have any evidence its just what I was told by posting on different forums.

I originally had the barracuda in my proposed build and quite a number of people told me to swap to WD Black due to issues occuring in the barracuda's.

I just believed them.

Ive had a portable hdd by WD for years now and never once had an issue with it. So I trust they make a good product.

And I also have an external drive made by Seagate which mostly runs pretty well, Ive had it error and try to make me format it for continuous use, but when I refuse, its always started working again, without losing my data.

But due to my experiences, I do feel a bit safer in paying the extra for the WD Black