does the orientation of my HDD affect the lifetime?

Woahduds

i have my upside down because i dont have anywhere to put it, i have to remove my hdd cage to put in my graphic card

No, so long as it doesn't get moved or bumped around.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

i have my upside down because i dont have anywhere to put it, i have to remove my hdd cage to put in my graphic card

Nope, it's fine

"Rawr XD"

Upside down is fine. 

It's sideways and at awkward angles that are bad for it long term.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I ran three HDDs upside down for about seven years without issues.

They're still running, although now no longer upside down.

It's sideways and at awkward angles that are bad for it long term.

Since when is sideways (to be clear: to me that means it's turned

on one of its longer sides) an issue? Tons of servers and hotswap

cages in general seem to be using that orientation without trouble.

Same goes for upright position (turned on one of its shorter sides)

AFAIK, seen quite a few servers with such a config.

Have heard the same about awkward angles though, although I've never

come across any actual reliable data on that unfortunately.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

I added a yaw sensor to all of my drives and an actuator to counter the coriolis effect. <insert swooosh sound>

:ph34r:

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Excellent, thanks fot that link, will make note for future reference,

now I finally have something solid about this. :)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Excellent, thanks fot that link, will make note for future reference,

now I finally have something solid about this. :)

Humm... now it has me thinking, what if we dangle the drive with its power and SATA cables attached (but not dangled by those) from a contraption like a triangle type hanger or easier a hangman type upside down L pole and then have it swinging freely? The drive spinning should provide enough angular momentum to swing it and keep it swinging. Will it affect the life of the drive? Time to ask Seagate!    B)

Ogh, another would be to place the drive in a pressurized chamber!

I added a yaw sensor to all of my drives and an actuator to counter the coriolis effect. <insert swooosh sound>

:ph34r:

Too bad you didn't place them in a thick lead box to counter the effects of the magnetosphere

Humm... now it has me thinking, what if we dangle the drive with its power and SATA cables attached (but not dangled by those) from a contraption like a triangle type hanger or easier a hangman type upside down L pole and then have it swinging freely? The drive spinning should provide enough angular momentum to swing it and keep it swinging. Will it affect the life of the drive? Time to ask Seagate!    B)

Ogh, another would be to place the drive in a pressurized chamber!

Gyroscopic motion I think is what your looking for, whether it is strong enough to overcome the resistance of the sata data & power cables however, I doubt.  So swing, I don't think so.  Twist..maybe.

Too bad you didn't place them in a thick lead box to counter the effects of the magnetosphere

Gyroscopic motion I think is what your looking for, whether it is strong enough to overcome the resistance of the sata data & power cables however, I doubt.  So swing, I don't think so.  Twist..maybe.

Well I would still nudge it to get it moving besides the gyroscopic motion. I mean they had hard drives up on the space shuttle so don't see why it wouldn't work or continue to work.