Anti-virus?

alby800
Go to solution Solved by alby800,

Its not an anti-virus but its to stop popup adds which is one of the major complaints of the op.

I use AVG.  I have the paid version but i use the free version on my dads computer.

thanks, I now have AVG and Ad block plus

I work for AVG, and I'll recommend it.  But, Avast isn't bad too.  I just don't like Avast's lack of zero day defense and their heuristics.  But, they are about even in terms of the whole things with AVG. 

AVG has signature defense, Identity protection which is essentially identical to Kaspersky Application control, it restricts and monitors applications and ranks them based on digital signature, size, actions etc.

Avast has lower detection than AVG BUT it has something called EVO-Gen, its a zero day detection method that is able to detect unknown threats, it also has Deepscreen.  Which is a peice of crap and finds essentially nothing because it sandboxes it for the first few seconds.  Which is useless.  It does have Hardened mode, which has to be enabled, can cause false positives but makes it super strong!

AVG is the one I use. I eventually bought the full version but the free works great. :)

You should wait and see the big change there's gonna be in 2015 :)

Ad block plus has been installed, linus tech tips has been whitelisted and i am installing AVG

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 | GPU: XFX r9 280x DD BLACK OC EDITION | RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz | Mobo: Gigabyte h97n-WIFI | PSU: EVGA 600B | Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 | Cooler: Stock intel | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb | Storage: WD 150 gb

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M | RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600Mhz | Mobo: Metabox WA50SJ Motherboard | Case: Metabox WA50SJ case | Cooler: Stock | SSD: Sandisk 256gb

:wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

Best purchase this year, bcuz forza

You should wait and see the big change there's gonna be in 2015 :)

What do you mean?

oh ok, I will get that then and probably AVG

Thanks for the suggestion

Just beware, you shouldn't experience any bugs.  But there are a few bugs with AVG, probs won't affect you but if there are any bugs ever, PM me and I'll help you out :)

Also if you wish to insult use a real one and do make up random and non existent words. :)

The term "plonker" is British slang. Clearly you haven't watched Only Fools & Horses.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

What do you mean?

theres gonna be a bit of a big change. 

As well as some awesome under the hood improvements.  For one, theres a big interface change, and AVG is going to be intergrated with AVG Zen and is going to be able to sync your settings across devices and they are planning on doing something like Bittorrent sync with it sometime.

The sync thing, not 100% sure about but it should be coming since thats what the guy said in this showcase I was doing.   

I don't think AVG will have a problem talking about this stuff though, its not like its "super secret private stuff"

Just beware, you shouldn't experience any bugs.  But there are a few bugs with AVG, probs won't affect you but if there are any bugs ever, PM me and I'll help you out :)

thanks for the help!

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 | GPU: XFX r9 280x DD BLACK OC EDITION | RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz | Mobo: Gigabyte h97n-WIFI | PSU: EVGA 600B | Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 | Cooler: Stock intel | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb | Storage: WD 150 gb

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M | RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600Mhz | Mobo: Metabox WA50SJ Motherboard | Case: Metabox WA50SJ case | Cooler: Stock | SSD: Sandisk 256gb

The term "plonker" is British slang. Clearly you haven't watched Only Fools & Horses.

Ah...well i'm American so that's my excuse :D

How is that an anti-virus???

Its not an anti-virus but its to stop popup adds which is one of the major complaints of the op.

I use AVG.  I have the paid version but i use the free version on my dads computer.

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

That's not true at all.

I would use Avast free version, I find the UI to be a lot better than AVG's, and it has really good detection rate as well. By far the best free anti-virus in my opinion.

It's absolutely true.

http://www.av-test.org/en/home/

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Different sites will have different results. And it's not like 30 files is all that great of a factor to go off of. I usually use Avast and run a scan with Malwarebytes to pick up anything Avast misses.

http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart1.php

That single chart does not tell the whole story. I used avtest because their results are easy to read and conclusive.

http://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/avc_prot_2014a_en.pdf

Tells the whole story. As you can see, AVG does have a 97.2% protection rate. However, the number of times it was compromised is far higher than BitDefender, which I recommend. The number of cases requiring user intervention was much higher as well. The top five or so cases are in a whole other league from the rest, as evidenced by "Compromised." This is held up by their awards lower down, under which all of the best solutions require money.

I'm not saying AVG is bad, I'm saying that it's not the best if you really care about your system not getting a virus. Why do it half assed for free? Isn't your time and data worth more than money? For me it is, which is why I actually use Macs and Linux machines for the most part these days. But all of my Windows installs run BitDefender.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

That single chart does not tell the whole story. I used avtest because their results are easy to read and conclusive.

http://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/avc_prot_2014a_en.pdf

Tells the whole story. As you can see, AVG does have a 97.2% protection rate. However, the number of times it was compromised is far higher than BitDefender, which I recommend. The number of cases requiring user intervention was much higher as well. The top five or so cases are in a whole other league from the rest, as evidenced by "Compromised." This is held up by their awards lower down, under which all of the best solutions require money.

I'm not saying AVG is bad, I'm saying that it's not the best if you really care about your system not getting a virus. Why do it half assed for free? Isn't your time and data worth more than money? For me it is, which is why I actually use Macs and Linux machines for the most part these days. But all of my Windows installs run BitDefender.

I personally don't even use an anti-virus, and I agree that the paid versions can be better, but unless you are clueless with computers a free one should be more than enough. Just my opinion though.

I personally don't even use an anti-virus, and I agree that the paid versions can be better, but unless you are clueless with computers a free one should be more than enough. Just my opinion though.

It doesn't matter whether or not you're clueless, there are still drive-by attacks and trojans and social engineering.

Literally anyone can be hacked. Just because you think you browse smart doesn't mean you're impervious to infection.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

It doesn't matter whether or not you're clueless, there are still drive-by attacks and trojans and social engineering.

Literally anyone can be hacked. Just because you think you browse smart doesn't mean you're impervious to infection.

I still run Avast/Malwarebytes scans periodically, which generally only find a few PUPs at most. I'm willing to risk it though, not saying other people should.

Heres some tips and things to change with AVG:

Go to options > Advanced settings in AVG

Then go to computer protection > antivirus and check detect enchanced potentially unwanted programs, and enable thorough scanning.  These won't impact your system performance.

Then go to Identity protection and enable prompt for action.  This will instead of decide which to remove and which to not, it will alert you for every bad thing it finds.  On the default setting it will only report threats that are 100% sure to be threats.

Then go into scans > full scan and check all the boxes.  This allows the full scan will take longer but will detect everything possible.

Then run a full scan and make sure your system is safe.