Xbox controller shuts down my computer.

xDeltoZ

When I plug in my wired xbox 360 controller for Windows my computer shuts down.
I did not have this problem before I installed my new graphics card, but I'm pretty sure I have more than enough Watts in my PSU than what I need to use my GTX 780.
(I used to have a GTX 560 Ti). 
I have tried to unplug all my other USB-Powered devices and only plugged in my xbox 360 controller, but my computer still shut down.

These are my computer specifications:

PSU: 700W Cooler Master
GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 780 (Not overclocked)
CPU: Intel i5 2500 (Not overclocked)

These are the peripherals I use:
Keyboard: Corsair K90
Mouse: Saiph 1800
Headphones: Razer Megalodon (USB Powered)

Please tell me if you need anymore details.

Have you tried PS2? Different USB port like front panel vs mobo? Install the drivers first ? Just some ideas. Maybe try different GPU drivers?

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

Your computer wants you to use real gaming tools: Mouse and Keyboard.

IT KNOWS

P.S.: controllers are great, and I have no idea how to help you here

Git Gud.

What happens if you connect your controller before booting up?

My computer wont start if I have it connected before booting up.

Have you tried PS2? Different USB port like front panel vs mobo? Install the drivers first ? Just some ideas. Maybe try different GPU drivers?

I'm gonna try to install/reinstall my xbox controller drivers, I have tried all the usb ports but nothing happened, I don't own a PS2 controller and I have the latest GPU driver.

EDIT: It sadly did not work, my computer shut down this time too.

• 3 weeks later...

I still haven't found a fix for my problem. Might it help if you know that my headset uses the same amount of power as my xbox 360 controller, but I am still able to use the headset. Even if I plug out my headset and put in the xbox controller instead it will get a power surge. I really do need help with this problem because it has been going on for quite a while now, and since I am a PC gamer I want to play FIFA 15 on my PC (I have a PS3 but I cannot play with 30fps), the PC controls are terrible so I would like to fix this problem.

Maybe this will help, these are the details from the event viewer:

- <System>
  <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
  <EventID>41</EventID>
  <Version>2</Version>
  <Level>1</Level>
  <Task>63</Task>
  <Opcode>0</Opcode>
  <Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-09-10T17:01:22.011604400Z" />
  <EventRecordID>3708</EventRecordID>
  <Correlation />
  <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
  <Channel>System</Channel>
  <Computer>Joakim-PC</Computer>
  <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
  </System>
- <EventData>
  <Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
  <Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
  <Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
  <Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
  <Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
  <Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>
  <Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
  </EventData>
  </Event>

Try using a different USB port, and if the problem still persists, check your USB headers on your board when you installed your GPU, or cable of the controller.  Let us know what you find!

My computer wont start if I have it connected before booting up.

I've had a similar situation. If it's not the usb port going out it's probably the usb/cable of your controller that is damaged in a manner that is shorting and the pc just shuts down/doesn't boot to prevent any damage.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

Shuts down as in instant off?

Couple of different possibilities here:

• USB Cables on the motherboard header correctly installed?
  • Something inside the USB Connectors?
  • Bad cable/shorting out.

Try plugging it into different ports on the back and front, if that's the same then it's the controller/cable.

Gaming/Folding rig: Coolermaster CM 690 II Advanced White | MSI Z77A-G43 | Intel Core i7 3770k @ 4.4GHz | 10GB G.Skill RAM | Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | Seagate 2TB | Seagate 2TB | WD Blue 640GB | Cogage Arrow (Passive) | Thermaltake Toughpower XT 675w | Windows 10 Pro

Photography

Most Possible problem can be the Power supply issue (the Xbox controller might be defected and takes more power than needed) it also happened with me once then i changed my controller to simple one's and everything turned out good, check the supply of your main switch and see if it is giving the required amount of power to the CPU

Yeah i would guess a short also. Does the pc shut of instantly or does it show a windows shutting down screen?

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

Yes, it shuts down instantly. So I'll have to buy a new xbox controller then?

1. Try other USB ports behind and front.
2. Try with other USB devices (power consuming ones if possible).
3. Since it happended after you're new GPU. We need to know your specs to be sure if its your psu thats not powerful enough. - (Sorry didn't pay attention to the bottom of your post. Smartphone foruming.. not optimal.)

4. You've not listed everything thats connected to your computer, though I would presume you haven't gone over the 700w limit.

Currently I would presume your using closely to 370-390w's.

Yeah that's what i'd try.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

I'm gonna try to install/reinstall my xbox controller drivers, I have tried all the usb ports but nothing happened, I don't own a PS2 controller and I have the latest GPU driver.

EDIT: It sadly did not work, my computer shut down this time too.

I believe that @Jodomcfrodo is referring to a PS2 port on the mobo.

Main Rig - Case: Corsair 200R   Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270-GAMING-K3  CPU: Intel i5 7600 RAM: Corsair H55 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3000MHz SSD: Crucial MX500 1 TB 

HDD: 2TB WD Green  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti 6GB Windforce  PSU: Corsair CX 600W  

HTPC - Case: CiT MTX-007B   Motherboard: Biostar H61MGV3, CPU: Intel i5 2400  RAM: Patriot 4GB 1333MHz SSD: 240GB Toshiba SSD PSU: 180W CIT (Came with case)

Corsair 200R Front Bezel Mod

Agreeing with the bad cable diagnosis. Get a new cable for the controller and this'll be fixed.

Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl, MSI Z97 Gaming 5, i5 4690k, Noctua NH-D15, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

16GB (2x8) Crucial DDR3 BallistiX Sport 1600MHz CL9, MSI GTX780 3GB Twin Frozr, XFX ProSeries XXX Edition 850W

SteelSeries 6Gv2 Cherry MX Black, Mionix Naos, Razer Destructor, Creative GigaWorks T20 2.0 BUILD LINK

It has to either be power overload or a short because the psu is force killing the computer. I would guess that the controller is shorting, but i obviously can't be sure. Like someone else said, try different usb ports, Plug in a lot of usb devices that take power and see what happens.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

It has to either be power overload or a short because the psu is force killing the computer. I would guess that the controller is shorting, but i obviously can't be sure. Like someone else said, try different usb ports, Plug in a lot of usb devices that take power and see what happens.

Yeah, it only happens with the controller, nothing else. Using different USB ports don't work.

• 6 years later...

Just an update for anyone coming across this very old thread as I did when I had the same problem. I also had the seemingly common problem that Windows would not blank the screen with the Xbox controller plugged in (and that's when I discovered that the PC powered off when I unplugged the controller!).

For me, the problems went away when I turned off the Xbox Game Bar in Windows settings.

• 1 year later...

Thanks MarkC100 for following up on this post even years later, as it popped up in a Google search as one of the first results related to this issue for me as well.

Brand new Xbox controller (Model 1914) on a W10 Enterprise machine. No other controllers connected, no particularly "odd" USB devices attached except maybe a Dymo label printer, but sure enough as soon as I would plug in the Xbox controller to the PC, I'd get a black screen with a fuzzy green bar across the bottom 1/3 of the monitor. It seemed like this had to be that "Xbox Game Bar" thing, right?? Since Xbox's "color" is green, it's a bar, it happens when I plug in an Xbox controller, surely...

But what ended up being the culprit for me appeared to be FortiClient (By Fortinet). More specifically the FortiDeviceGuard USB Driver that gets installed. Disabling this device in Device Management did not fix the issue, but removing FortiClient altogether did. 

If anyone reading comes across this issue but don't have FortiClient installed, check Event Viewer -> Windows Logs -> System for relevant information. Make note of exactly what time it is, plug in your controller to force a crash, unplug, boot back up, open event viewer, scroll down and search for logs from the time that you noted earlier. Look for a small gap in the logs, for example one is as 2:31:32pm but the next isn't until 2:33:01pm (The amount of time it took for your computer to reboot after the crash). The logs are coming in dozens a minute so a minute-long gap should be noticeable Check the most recent logs prior to that gap in time. You might find some references to driver errors that could lead you in the right direction.

Hope this helps someone somewhere.