Microsoft Surface Pro 3: Ideal Student Device?

PraiseGabeN

I'm currently in year 11, (Second last year in school). My school is introducing a 'Bring your own laptop' policy. I study Graphics, Design and Film, and the main reason the Surface Pro 3 appeals to me is the pen. It takes out the need to carry books and a laptop around with me all day. Is it worth it for the price? 

I'm currently in year 11, (Second last year in school). My school is introducing a 'Bring your own laptop' policy. I study Graphics, Design and Film, and the main reason the Surface Pro 3 appeals to me is the pen. It takes out the need to carry books and a laptop around with me all day. Is it worth it for the price? 

Graphics like maya, autocad and stuff?

I personally see more appeal to a Macbook and Nvidia shield tablet. 

It really doesn't do everything as good as people say it does. some people love the surface, some people hate it.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

i think its an ideal laptop/tablet for school, it has a amazing processor and i use my 1st gen surface for school!

if you want to save a little money, decide if you need to run programs, or if the apps in the windows store + office are fine!

Graphics like maya, autocad and stuff?

I personally see more appeal to a Macbook and Nvidia shield tablet. 

It really doesn't do everything as good as people say it does. some people love the surface, some people hate it.

Yeah, I use SolidWorks and Photoshop, but the selling point is the touchscreen/stylus. 

Linus did a good review on it. Have you checked that out yet?

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

Just get a Macbook

better build quality, plus you can actually use it as a laptop.

on top of that, they have far, far better resell value.

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

Yeah, I use SolidWorks and Photoshop, but the selling point is the touchscreen/stylus. 

The touchscreen and stylus are overrated. I don't own one, but suffice it to say I don't have enough of a life to do anything other than wandering around shopping malls using laptops and talking to the Microsoft people. They even think it's gimmicky. I had a guy who actually told me to buy a Mac instead because it was a better value.

For the price of a comparable SP3 you can get a MacBook Air for less. The fact that they make you buy the keyboard separately is stupid, and completely invalidates their "compare it to a MacBook Air" pricing strategy. It's almost deceptive, because spec wise they're practically identical except for the fact that you need to buy a keyboard with the Surface.

You should really choose between tablet and laptop though. Even for a tablet in my opinion the iPad is a great graphic design tool, with apps like Paper that have great accompanying styli and incredibly beautiful UIs. 

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Linus hated the Surface, but I hate the mackbook air. It's a shitty laptop, until they bring out a retina version I probably won't consider it. Is the stylus that bad on the surface for it to be considered a terrible device? 

I write everything, I hardly type, especially when i'm doing physics equations and examples and whatnot. I just want to get rid of my books and have something that I can write on, Still a terrible idea? 

Linus hated the Surface, but I hate the mackbook air. It's a shitty laptop, until they bring out a retina version I probably won't consider it. Is the stylus that bad on the surface for it to be considered a terrible device? 

The MacBook Air is widely regarded to be the best laptop on the market right now.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-laptop/

That's an exhaustive review. If you read the whole thing I think your mind will be changed.

It's not that the stylus is badly implemented, it's that nobody wants to go back to 2005 with regards to how they use tablets. Microsoft is still stuck in the tablet 1.0 theory of user interaction, where the stylus is in between the hands and the medium.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

That also brings me to the nvidia tablet, I've heard rumours of the (new) tablet being brought out with a windows operating system.. You think this is BS? 

The MacBook Air is widely regarded to be the best laptop on the market right now.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-laptop/

That's an exhaustive review. If you read the whole thing I think your mind will be changed.

It's not that the stylus is badly implemented, it's that nobody wants to go back to 2005 with regards to how they use tablets. Microsoft is still stuck in the tablet 1.0 theory of user interaction, where the stylus is in between the hands and the medium.

Thanks for the link  :)  I really appreciate it hahahhaha  :D

Thanks for the link  :)  I really appreciate it hahahhaha  :D

No problem. The Wirecutter is a great site for reviews in the future, as you can see they do extensive testing and they recommend Windows alternatives too if you're ideologically opposed or something.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Then Consider the macbook pro.

A real keyboard is going to do more for you in Graphical work than a stylus. even virtual desktops are more useful.

That also brings me to the nvidia tablet, I've heard rumours of the (new) tablet being brought out with a windows operating system.. You think this is BS? 

it's worth it get a nvidia tablet even with android on it. you can have your notes on one side well you work on the laptop. it's much more productive than having to do side by side of even switch back and forth. 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Then Consider the macbook pro.

A real keyboard is going to do more for you in Graphical work than a stylus. even virtual desktops are more useful.

it's worth it get a nvidia tablet even with android on it. you can have your notes on one side well you work on the laptop. it's much more productive than having to do side by side of even switch back and forth. 

We go to the same school, and I doubt that he would be aloud to do that as we have a pretty strict NO E-DEVICES policy. But it is still a pretty good idea.

Edit - Go back to school @PraiseGabeN

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 | GPU: XFX r9 280x DD BLACK OC EDITION | RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz | Mobo: Gigabyte h97n-WIFI | PSU: EVGA 600B | Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 | Cooler: Stock intel | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb | Storage: WD 150 gb

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M | RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600Mhz | Mobo: Metabox WA50SJ Motherboard | Case: Metabox WA50SJ case | Cooler: Stock | SSD: Sandisk 256gb

:wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

Best purchase this year, bcuz forza

My sister gave me a (God forbid) Surface RT for my school work.  

It works well for just school work, I assume the surface pro 3 is allot more powerful and can download 3rd party applications.  So I'd say its a good device for a student but i CANNOT hate the keyboard enough, I'd personally get a mechanical keyboard along with it or get a notebook.  The surface touch cover is absolutely horrible.  

No problem. The Wirecutter is a great site for reviews in the future, as you can see they do extensive testing and they recommend Windows alternatives too if you're ideologically opposed or something.

I was surprised to see that the website's "best" category for computer parts were a lot of what I have right now. I own the same wireless mouse, speakers, gaming mouse, sd card (except the micro version), had the mic, but downgraded to blue snowflake, and same modem. 

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

I was surprised to see that the website's "best" category for computer parts were a lot of what I have right now. I own the same wireless mouse, speakers, gaming mouse, sd card (except the micro version), had the mic, but downgraded to blue snowflake, and same modem. 

Then you have exceptionally good taste. :P

Same here. But I used spend around as much time as they do researching stuff. They're much better at it though and with coding these days I don't have 8 hours a day to devote to learning all of the tiny intricacies of electric toothbrushes and such.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Also totally random but your avatar bobs perfectly in time to Rage Against the Machine's "Testify."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /