My CPU is over heating D:

Hey guys, this is Ahsan.

I have been having trouble with my computer lately. Occasionally my CPU gets extremely hot. I have a AMD athlon 750K cpu at 3.4Ghz (not overclocked or anything..) and MSI fm2 motherboard. This has been happening to me since about two weeks now, but occasionally, like every other day or something like that. I am extremely worried. Whenever I turn the computer on I see all the fans are working corectly and everthing.

I checked on the heatsink and everything looks to be mounted correctly. I use the cpu fan that came with the cpu, and note I have had this desktop for about eight months now.

Even at idle the temp are ~70 to 75 C. And when Im gaming (LIGHT gaming... League of Legends) for about 30 minutus the temp are just abnormal; I'm talking about ~90 to 105 sometimes!! D:

I am extremely worried becase school is around the corner and I can't afford to not have a computer around. At the moment I do not have the ability to go buy a laptop or replacement cpu..

Someone please help, what is wrong with my cpu and how to fix.

Thank you forum

Processor- AMD Athlon X4 750K Trinity Quad-Core 3.4GHz. Motherboard- MSI Socket FM2 FM2-A75MA-E35. GPU- NVIDIA Geforce GTX 750 Ti SC 2GB GDDR5. RAM-  4GB Corsair Vengeance. Storage- 750GB Seagate Barracuda HDD. PSU- Corsair CX500. Case- Rosewill Line-M MiniATX.

Dell Inspiron N5110 intel i5

Is your CPU's cooler functioning correctly? Is the fan spinning?

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Do you even have thermal paste.. Maybe replace that if you do, these temps are pretty insane. I don't know what else to say, maybe it's the CPU itself, idk. 

CPU: i7 - 2600kGPU: GTX 1070Mobo: intel somethingRAM: Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz (8GB)SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB. HDD: WD Green 1TB . Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Monitors: LG 25UM65-P and Benq 2200HD Keyboard: Corsair vengeance K70 FPS Red switch. Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core. Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Try blowing some compressed air through the heatsink. It might be dusty.

You could get a laptop cooling pad for it to sit on so it wont overheat

Gaming Rig: i5-3570k+H100i (4.3 ghz) | P8Z77-i Deluxe | MSI Twin Frozr 7950 Boost | HX650 | 1TB HGST | 840 Evo 250 GB

Is your CPU's cooler functioning correctly? Is the fan spinning?

he said all the fans are working correctly. 

CPU: i7 - 2600kGPU: GTX 1070Mobo: intel somethingRAM: Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz (8GB)SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB. HDD: WD Green 1TB . Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Monitors: LG 25UM65-P and Benq 2200HD Keyboard: Corsair vengeance K70 FPS Red switch. Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core. Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

? How would that help? He's talking about a desktop PC lol 

Fan working? Proper, tight mount? Thermal paste? AMD temp sensors suck ass?

Feel the heatsink at idle. If you want to yank your hand away instantly, it's working. Otherwise... You have a problem, or it's AMD's glorious temp sensors.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

All the fans spinning, I have this case opened and airflow might now be the issue.

I have not really applied my own thermal paste when i built it, as it already had preapplied

Processor- AMD Athlon X4 750K Trinity Quad-Core 3.4GHz. Motherboard- MSI Socket FM2 FM2-A75MA-E35. GPU- NVIDIA Geforce GTX 750 Ti SC 2GB GDDR5. RAM-  4GB Corsair Vengeance. Storage- 750GB Seagate Barracuda HDD. PSU- Corsair CX500. Case- Rosewill Line-M MiniATX.

MOAR LTT NY FACTION MEMBERS!

It hasn't been that hot here in New York this summer. Try remounting your cooler.

I have a desktop, thank anyway

he said all the fans are working correctly. 

Been awake for nearly 3 days now mate, i'm tired. Didn't see that.  :(

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Been awake for nearly 3 days now mate, i'm tired. Didn't see that.  :(

Oh man get some sleep lol. 

Do you even have thermal paste.. Maybe replace that if you do, these temps are pretty insane. I don't know what else to say, maybe it's the CPU itself, idk. 

If there was no thermal paste, it almost wouldn't even boot. An Intel chip lasts from my experiences about a minute before it's thermally shut off, and we all know how insanely hot AMD chips run by comparison.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

Okay, so what I would do is simply try more than one temp program. I know that CoreTemp works for me on Intel Z77, but for my mate on AMD 990fx, it changes completely and it displays erratic temps.

Compatible with Windows 95

If there was no thermal paste, it almost wouldn't even boot. An Intel chip lasts from my experiences about a minute before it's thermally shut off, and we all know how insanely hot AMD chips run by comparison.

It was kinda meant as a joke, but reading it again, yeah sorry, that looked like i meant it :P 

I can opt for an aftermarket cooler about for 40$

Will that solve my problem? pls

I can opt for an aftermarket cooler about for 40$

Will that solve my problem? pls

No... you need to reseat the heat sink with fresh thermal compound inbetween it, and the CPU.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

No... you need to reseat the heat sink with fresh thermal compound inbetween it, and the CPU.

Hmm I will see. Is there any way to set the cpu so it runs slower will that do anything to cool it for now 

I have a desktop, thank anyway

? How would that help? He's talking about a desktop PC lol 

UGH

brain fart

time to take a break

#embarrased

Gaming Rig: i5-3570k+H100i (4.3 ghz) | P8Z77-i Deluxe | MSI Twin Frozr 7950 Boost | HX650 | 1TB HGST | 840 Evo 250 GB

Hmm I will see. Is there any way to set the cpu so it runs slower will that do anything to cool it for now 

Depending on your motherboard you could potentially underclock and undervolt it. The issue here is the same as overclocking as your system can become unstable. It's not something I've personally heard of being done too often, not on desktops at least, and I wouldn't recommend it.

Never done it myself, so I don't know what kind of damage could be done, if any, so if you're lucky, someone with more experience will weigh in here.