Some questions about sleeving

Lauen

Hey guys!

I will be sleeving my PSU cables in not too long, I just need to figure out a few things first!

I will not be cutting the cables to length, so will it work just putting the sleeve over the pin, and then a piece of heatshrink? And if I buy the pin removal tool (I'm gonna buy it all from MDPC), will it be easy to remove the pins?

And I might upgrade my PSU before sleeving (I have a Cooler Master GX650W), I am thinking of getting a Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W PSU (yes, I know, overkill, but it's sort of nice), but the Fractal one has ribbon cables for the additional (the modular parts) such as SATA. molex, PCI-E.

Will ribbon cables be a problem? if I am gonna sleeve them, it will only be the PCI-E, but seeing as I only have one graphics card, it doesn't matter much right now.

btw, I just copied this from my own post in overclock.net, as I didn't get all that much feedback there, just gonna see if it gets better here :) 

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

Sorry to see that you haven't had much feedback. In regards to the heatshrink, I believe most of it shrinks to half it's original size. So, it would probably be best to get a removal tool so you can fit the correct sized heat shrink onto the wire. That will also probably make the sleeving easier also. I believe Linus did a video on cable sleeving that may be a good resource for you, he shows how to use the removal tools and also a sleeving tutorial. I don't know about sleeping ribbon cables, but I'm sure you will be able to get some sleeving and heatshrink over them, although they may look a bit bulky as the sleeving will try to take its original cylindrical shape, but if you have the sleeving and heatshrink then I can't see any harm in trying. Ps. Don't forget to label the wires so you know where they go! Good luck.

OnePlus 6T

I'm gonna take the simplest route, and just do one cable at a time, so disconnect one cable, sleeve it, put it back in. 

The ribbon cables should be quite simple to "split", although, I don't think I'll be upgrading my power supply just yet, my GX650 is alright still. and if I get one, I only use a single GPU setup, so I won't be using much of the modular connectors, just the 4x sata and 1 molex and 1 floppy. 

My advise before you even start is to find an old cable kicking around and practice.  You'll find that the pins are sometimes hard to remove at first.  Best to damage a spare cable then your main rigs cables.  Never even heard of ribbon cable sleeving, do you mean IDE's or just regular sata power cables?  If its the sata just do one at a time.  They have caps on the top to lockem.  I would suggest check out lutr0o's youtube channel.  He is a great teacher and if  you email him he will respond.  Good luck.  

I have an old PSU lying around to practice on, just some 300W stuff... 

Ribbon cables, just like IDE, but used on Sata, Molex, PCI-E. 

Yes, I saw some vids of Lutro0, they were great.