Noctua NH-U14S with other fans?

Unbr34k4bl3

It's a rather simple question, which I searched on the web for, and haven't found a solution really.

Is the Noctua NH-U14S with different fans compatible? (e.g. Corsair SP 120's ?)

If it isn't, is the beQuiet! Dark Rock 3 compatible?

And YES, I know that Noctua fans are the best, but I want better looks. And I don't care for the few dB of noise more which I'll get more. I'd be happy to have a rather good looking cooler, than (tbh) have really crappy looking fans on it. (Hate on me :P)

It's a rather simple question, which I searched on the web for, and haven't found a solution really.

And YES, I know that Noctua fans are the best, but I want better looks. And I don't care for the few dB of noise more which I'll get more. I'd be happy to have a rather good looking cooler, than (tbh) have really crappy looking fans on it. (Hate on me :P)

Not sure why you would want a downgrade in terms of fan quality, but I'd check with a U14S owner. I'm pretty sure Noctua uses that weird wire mounting to hold the fan to the sink.

Why can't you just buy a Dark Rock 3 and not buy the SP120s? The Dark Rock 3 looks really good on its own. I still maintain that the U14S looks really sexy, but with Noctua I can understand; with Be Quiet switching out the Silentwings fan for a SP120 is unacceptable. Corsair fans are loud and mediocre-performing and the only reason to buy them would be for the colored rings.

Not sure why you would want a downgrade in terms of fan quality, but I'd check with a U14S owner. I'm pretty sure Noctua uses that weird wire mounting to hold the fan to the sink.

Why can't you just buy a Dark Rock 3 and not buy the SP120s? The Dark Rock 3 looks really good on its own. I still maintain that the U14S looks really sexy, but with Noctua I can understand; with Be Quiet switching out the Silentwings fan for a SP120 is unacceptable. Corsair fans are loud and mediocre-performing and the only reason to buy them would be for the colored rings.

Some Noctua fans use fans that have the mounting points in the middle. They won't work with traditional square-frame fans.

The U14S uses a 150mm fan that has 140mm mounts in a standard square pattern. You could probably mount a traditional 140mm on there, but it would defeat the purpose of buying a U14S

"Rawr XD"

Unless you need the extreme level cooling that the U14S or DR3 bring, I would just get a Hyper 212 EVO and replace the fan on it with a Be Quiet Silent Wings 2 PWM

"Rawr XD"

Why can't you just buy a Dark Rock 3 and not buy the SP120s? The Dark Rock 3 looks really good on its own.

I'm planning and sorta working on a black/red schemed pc. And It'd would look better with the red rings of the SP120's.. :P

I'm also gonna place some LED striped in there, which would make the rings even more vivid. :3 ;P

I wouldn't get a noctua CPU cooler and replace the fans. The heatsink isn't worth that much money. Get a Dark Rock 3. Be aware that it has one long and one short fan clamp included, meaning that you can mount one bequiet center frame fan (the stock fan) and one regular frame fan. However if you ask bequiet niceley they will ship you clamps of various sizes for free.

Edit:  also consider cpu coolers like the Prolimatech Megahalems, which AFAIK comes without fans and has clamps for two 120 and 140 mm fans, which is almost ideal for adding your own fans.

Edit2: lé picture

cec06690_dsc_27477eucy.jpeg

who cares...

I'm planning and sorta working on a black/red schemed pc. And It'd would look better with the red rings of the SP120's.. :P

I'm also gonna place some LED striped in there, which would make the rings even more vivid. :3 ;P

Yeah if that's the case then I'd still go with the 212 Evo and replace the fan with an SP120 (or possibly two of them). It's quite a good cooler if the fans are replaced, cause the heatsink itself is quite good. I'm running a Phenom X6 off of a Hyper 212 Plus with no fan at all, and temps still better then stock cooler

"Rawr XD"

Yeah if that's the case then I'd still go with the 212 Evo and replace the fan with an SP120 (or possibly two of them). It's quite a good cooler if the fans are replaced, cause the heatsink itself is quite good. I'm running a Phenom X6 off of a Hyper 212 Plus with no fan at all, and temps still better then stock cooler

+1 for the 212 EVO idea, I've seen people do carbon fiber mods to the heatsink and it really takes the aesthetics up a notch with SP120s.

Though if you plan on doing a lot of OC with Devil's Canyon, something better might not be a bad idea.

Also the Phanteks 140mm red/version might not be a shabby idea. It's quite the performance cooler.

+1 for the 212 EVO idea, I've seen people do carbon fiber mods to the heatsink and it really takes the aesthetics up a notch with SP120s.

A friend of mine has a 212 EVO with just the top plasti-dipped black and a single Be Quiet Silent Wings 2 in push. Looks really nice.

"Rawr XD"

I wouldn't get a noctua CPU cooler and replace the fans. The heatsink isn't worth that much money. Get a Dark Rock 3. Be aware that it has one long and one short fan clamp included, meaning that you can mount one bequiet center frame fan (the stock fan) and one regular frame fan. However if you ask bequiet niceley they will ship you clamps of various sizes for free.

Edit:  also consider cpu coolers like the Prolimatech Megahalems, which AFAIK comes without fans and has clamps for two 120 and 140 mm fans, which is almost ideal for adding your own fans.

Edit2: lé picture

cec06690_dsc_27477eucy.jpeg
That looks really sweet. I'm not sure, if I'd want to go with that. The U14S and the Prolimatech Megahalems (< Swiss website) are priced really pretty much the same. With around 67€. Soooo.. yeah.. Still not very sure. :P

(Didn't even know the cooler. Seems I'm not as good informed about pc parts, as I hoped I'd be <_<)

Some Noctua fans use fans that have the mounting points in the middle. They won't work with traditional square-frame fans.

The U14S uses a 150mm fan that has 140mm mounts in a standard square pattern. You could probably mount a traditional 140mm on there, but it would defeat the purpose of buying a U14S

Yup. Pretty much. I'll throw the U14S idea out of the window.. Thanks :)

Though if you plan on doing a lot of OC with Devil's Canyon, something better might not be a bad idea.

Also the Phanteks 140mm red/version might not be a shabby idea. It's quite the performance cooler.

Too expensive. That thing costs like 75€ of my trusted retailer. And the U14S is like 67€ lolol..

This is pretty much said already. But I want to say this. Part of why Noctuas coolers are so good is because their fans are top tier already. You'd have tough time finding fans that perform at same level in noise/power. So it really is downgrade. Its better to get cooler that is almost at same level (like Dark Rock or Phanteks) and go on with that.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

This is pretty much said already. But I want to say this. Part of why Noctuas coolers are so good is because their fans are top tier already. You'd have tough time finding fans that perform at same level in noise/power. So it really is downgrade. Its better to get cooler that is almost at same level (like Dark Rock or Phanteks) and go on with that.

Yup. I think I'll go with the Primaltech. And mount some SP120s. :)