Network settings won't open at ALL, might have a virus please help

1823alex
Go to solution Solved by nosirrah123,

Might not be a virus. Might be a glitch. Try turning it on and off again. If all else fails, repair your install.

So I think I probably got a virus, it seems it's blocking me from clicking on the Speaker icon and the Network icon on my desktop, Windows acts as if it is opening but it never opens and searching for network and sharing center then opening just doesn't work it opens then hangs at not responding and sometimes doesn't work. I did try using a RAR password unlocker (buddy sent me a rar file and forgot password said I would fix it). Think I got a virus because of it on my laptop now just installed malwarebytes on a flashdrive gonna try to run it on desktop anything else I should do/try?

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

Might not be a virus. Might be a glitch. Try turning it on and off again. If all else fails, repair your install.

- "some salty pretzel bun fanboy" ~ @helping, 2014
- "Oh shit, watch out guys, we got a hopscotch bassass here..." ~ @vinyldash303

- "Yes the 8990 is more fater than the 4820K and as you can see this specific Video card comes with 6GB" ~ Alienware 2014

I had the same thing a while back. Have you tried just waiting 15 minutes and see if it eventually opens? For me it did eventually open but it was a bit random. The problem is gone now so idk. I doubt it's a virus but who knows.

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

Going to restart after Avast! and MalwareBytes finish scanning... Oh boy hope I don't have to reformat/repair install just did that a couple of months ago due to a corrupt install.

I had the same thing a while back. Have you tried just waiting 15 minutes and see if it eventually opens? For me it did eventually open but it was a bit random. The problem is gone now so idk. I doubt it's a virus but who knows.

Doesn't seem like it's coming this is on my main gaming rig specs in sig so not like the thing is being slow or anything. 

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

sorry for all the extra replies but does MalwareBytes usually take 12 minutes to prepare for a full C drive scan? A bit anxious and scared that I might have a virus sorry.

Restarting seems to have fixed it thanks should've done that in the first place. Thanks

Restarting seems to have fixed it thanks should've done that in the first place. Thanks

xD Never think you're above a good 'ol powercycle. I cannot tell you how many times I've spent all day trying to fix a problem and then it magically disappears upon restart. 

- "some salty pretzel bun fanboy" ~ @helping, 2014
- "Oh shit, watch out guys, we got a hopscotch bassass here..." ~ @vinyldash303

- "Yes the 8990 is more fater than the 4820K and as you can see this specific Video card comes with 6GB" ~ Alienware 2014