Any good computers for college?

xSwerve

Hey guys, recently my sister was looking to get a new laptop for college, as her's is now 6 years old... So, she's just a normal student (no gaming, no intensive photoshop or video editing/rendering) However she will render some vlogs from time to time. Anyone know a good laptop that will last long for $300? If $300 is too low of a budget, then anyone know a laptop that fits this criteria for $730? Her budget is $300 (being a college student and all with students loans and such) but I really want to give her something nice so I can throw in $430 from my piggy bank if it would mean I can get her something that can stand the test of time.

If your looking for build quality look towards asus and acer, just stay away from dell as a long time user i can tell you most of thier products are pretty bad when i comes to quality

The Wannabe is no longer. Replaced by the Flotilla. If you replace every part of a computer is it still the same computer?

Survived the Survivor 2299

Audio Engineer, Lighting Programmer, Video Engineer, FOH.

Probably something from the lenovo G series http://shop.lenovo.com/ If you know much about specs you can fit it to her needs.

No fancy stuff no frills just straight productivity. Good for school.

My Rig "Corsair air 540, MSI Z87-G45, i5 4670k, EVGA ACX 780, Gskill sniper 2x8gb 1866 memory, Corsair CX500m modular 80+ bronze, corsiar h100i, toshiba 1.5tb HDD." / Peripherals "Acer H226HQLbid Black 21.5" (Main monitor), Acer S200HLAbd Black 20" (auxiliary), Razer blackwidow ultimate 2013, razer naga 2013, razer goliathus 444x355 speed edition, Sennheiser HD8 DJs"

like this on the front page of newegg

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230863

battery is not better than the "air".

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

I would personally go to at least $400, since thats pretty much the cheapest laptop with an i3 (you really don't want a Celeron or Pentium cpu). Although, it also happens to be a Dell....ew 

Personally, I would spend like $700, and get a Lenovo Z50--You get a good cpu and a 1080p display (I can't stand using anything less). But, if 1920x1080 isn't a must, then a Lenovo G510 or Lenovo Z50 ($500~) would be the laptop to get. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

If you want something that lasts Thinkpad is a good idea http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/e-series/e440

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

You could always get a macbook air. About $800 at bestbuy.

Wow, I didn't realize that Apple started making them that cheap. I've only been browsing on Amazon and they are all $1k! Well, she's already in the Apple ecosystem and from my experience they are extremely simple to use so I think this would be a wise choice. Thanks for the heads up! Still open to suggestions so I can show her all the amazing people on this community looking to help! I'll let her decide, she'll probably ask me "how the specs are" then she'll decide ultimately.

battery is not better than the "air".

Damn that batter is important -_-