How to tell if PS3's overheating? And does it throttle?

BACK STORY:

So my bro and I got in a fight. We have a family PS3 Slim which my bro plays quite a bit on and I don't play much (normally just watch him play). He told me our PS3 Slim is a defect because games runs at very low fps. The specific game in question is Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of Patriot. He claims it drops a lot to 20's and even below. He also claims it should be at steady 30. I couldn't find much information what FPS a normal PS3 Slim should run MGS4 at. So instead here I'm trying to get straight into the problem. After some googling, I found if the PS3 Slim is overheating warning message may pop up or it'll just shut off. Which upon asking my brother he have never encountered any of these. So I tried to find if in any case the PS3 Slim can throttle. Of which google gave me results of ISP's throttling PS3 connection... Also asked my brother if he ever encountered the PS3 Slim randomly shutting off or seen the yellow light. Which he did not. And I think I'm pretty much out of ideas. So here I am asking if there's any way to test if our PS3 Slim is a defect in any case.

TL;DR

-How to tell if PS3 Slim is overheating?

-Can PS3 Slim throttle due to overheating?

-Is there any type of problem in the PS3 Slim which may lead to poor performance in games?

-Is there a way to test a PS3 to see if there's something wrong with it?

Sounds like your brother is a full of shit peasant and should be ignored.

To be real though, they don't throttle they just shutdown, it'll turn off and the power light will blink red when you try and turn it back on until it's cooled down.

Most console problems either cause system failure or disc read errors which wouldn't manifest just as an FPS drop.

Consoles often experience <30fps drops because they aren't very powerful, I wouldn't put it past just being that TBH.

BACK STORY:

So my bro and I got in a fight. We have a family PS3 Slim which my bro plays quite a bit on and I don't play much (normally just watch him play). He told me our PS3 Slim is a defect because games runs at very low fps. The specific game in question is Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of Patriot. He claims it drops a lot to 20's and even below. He also claims it should be at steady 30. I couldn't find much information what FPS a normal PS3 Slim should run MGS4 at. So instead here I'm trying to get straight into the problem. After some googling, I found if the PS3 Slim is overheating warning message may pop up or it'll just shut off. Which upon asking my brother he have never encountered any of these. So I tried to find if in any case the PS3 Slim can throttle. Of which google gave me results of ISP's throttling PS3 connection... Also asked my brother if he ever encountered the PS3 Slim randomly shutting off or seen the yellow light. Which he did not. And I think I'm pretty much out of ideas. So here I am asking if there's any way to test if our PS3 Slim is a defect in any case.

TL;DR

-How to tell if PS3 Slim is overheating?

-Can PS3 Slim throttle due to overheating?

-Is there any type of problem in the PS3 Slim which may lead to poor performance in games?

-Is there a way to test a PS3 to see if there's something wrong with it?

How are you measuring the FPS?

How are you measuring the FPS?

He's just going by eye... Unless I really have to, I can't be bothered to do whatever hack it is I have to do to get the fps monitor up in a PS3.

I have one of the first PS3 slims and never experienced throttling or overheating warnings, even when playing in warm environments. If it does overheat I believe it's supposed to turn off and give a Yellow Light. One way to tell if it's getting warm is by listening to its fan speed, I believe it has 3 and it is easy to hear it changing speeds.

Mine sometimes starts to sound like a vacuum cleaner when ambient temp is more than 30C. If your PS3 starts to overheat it will turn off, there's no throttling.

About the 20-30 FPS, is normal. GTA V is laggy as hell no matter how cold the PS3 is.