140 mm Fans Reviewed: Noctua Dethroned...

dCode

Silent PC Review has done a review of 140mm fans.  Shockingly (to me at least), Noctua didn't win.  The Phanteks won on both noise and cooling performance.  http://www.silentpcreview.com/140mm_Fan_Roundup1

I'm still happy to have my NF-P14's :)

In case anyone hasn't heard of SPCR, they are absolutely fanatical about noise testing, to the point they built their own anechoic chamber which can test down to 11db!  http://www.silentpcreview.com/anechoic_chamber_SPCR

Thanks,

dCode (Andrew)

Wish they tested the Corsair AF-140 which I currently use in my Define R4.

As good as they are, I think Noctua products are quite overrated, the Noctua NH-D14 has lost its place as the king of super air coolers quite a long while ago AFAIK the current kings are the Phanteks ph-tc14pe and the Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E.
I believe the corsair sp120s, noiseblockers, gentle typhoons and several others have better noise to airflow ratio than Noctua's 120s and now we know Phanteks hold the 140mm crown. I still think they are overall one of the best company for pc coolering parts, going Noctua is always a safe choice... Unless you care more about aesthetics or don't care about noise.

As good as they are, I think Noctua products are quite overrated, the Noctua NH-D14 has lost its place as the king of super air coolers quite a long while ago AFAIK the current kings are the Phanteks ph-tc14pe and the Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E.

They're larger coolers, more surface area, bigger, higher RPM fans are always going to win out

Noctua has kind of a cult following and TBH i think the colour scheme has something to do with it, making a name for themselves like that. Probably the reason they are keeping it that way.

Fans are fans, there's only so much engineering that can go into them. There was a day that I'd be suggesting Noctuas but now there's just so many other comparable options, that don't look terrible.