Windows 8 underperforming

d6s

That seems like a botched install more than anything to me. I suggest you do a clean install with a 8.1 iso.

okay...and all i do is back up my HDD and format my SSD+HDD and then boot from my USB drive?

like I asked Faruko... will my product key work again?

Intel i5-3570K @ 4.1GHz  • XSPC Raystorm • FrozenQ 250mm Liquid Fusion • 8GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) • Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H

Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming 4GB • Seagate Barracuda 1TB + Intel 730 Series 240GB • ASTRO A40 Audio Solution • D-Link N-150

I haven't even had windows 8 for a whole week yet and am already running into problems....

first... everything about windows 8 seems to have broken itself.... I booted up...and Skype, Spotify, Razer Synapse, all of the programs that should start, did not start automatically.... when I started skype, I had to re-type my password... when I went into the start window... all I saw was a bunch of colorful squares until the pictures and text loaded for each shortcut... and if I go to the apps page... all of them are grey for a few second until the color finally loads.... then if I go back to the start window... it starts all over again

I have seen this problem a few times now as it could be a GPU driver problem, I had to do was completely uninstall the GPU drivers and remove the folder it's in then used a program like ccleaner to clean the registry and then reboot.  After the reboot go to the geforce experience website and install it then the drivers and do a reboot again and it should be OK now.  

When updating the GPU drivers its recommended to uninstall the old drivers first instead of installing over the old ones.

If you have skype installed is it the windows app version or the full desktop version, the desktop version has known issues running properly on windows 8.1.

Cry Havoc!

okay...and all i do is back up my HDD and format my SSD+HDD and then boot from my USB drive?

like I asked Faruko... will my product key work again?

Backup all the data on your OS drive and you can format a flash drive and use it to install windows.

yes the product key can be used again. Its one PC not one activation.

Backup all the data on your OS drive and you can format a flash drive and use it to install windows.

yes the product key can be used again. Its one PC not one activation.

Exactly. As long as the PC you install the OS gets reformatted, the product key can be reused

Spoiler
  • CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
  • Motherboard:  MSI PRO B650M-A WiFi
  • RAM:  G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5 Memory @ 6000MHz
  • Graphics:  Colorful iGame GeForce RTX 3070 Ti Ultra W OC 8G-V
  • StorageKingston KC3000 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD; Seagate Barracuda 2TB Hard Disk Drive @ 7200rpm
  • PSU:  Cooler Master V1000 1000W 80+ Gold
  • Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
  • Keyboard: Cooler Master CK550 RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard w/Gateron Red switches
  • Mouse: Glorious Model O- Wireless @ 1600dpi, 1000Hz
  • DAC: JDS Labs OL DAC
  • AMP: JDS Labs O2 AMP
  • Headphones: Hifiman HE-400I w/ZMF Ori Lambskin pads
  • Soundbar: Creative Sound BlasterX Katana
  • Monitor 1: BenQ EL2870U @ 3840 x 2160, 60Hz
  • Monitor 2ASUS Predator XB252Q @ 1920 x 1080, 240Hz
  • Monitor 3AOC G2460 PQU @ 1080 x 1920, 144Hz

I was never a fan of windows 8 and I never will be, just like their webtv, it's a big flop.

Either get a Mac with Parallels or switch to Windows 7 and wait until you see how much better windows 9 is.

I was never a fan of windows 8 and I never will be, just like their webtv, it's a big flop.

-snip-

Just no so much no.

Skype does have an issue sometimes with syncing and it doesn't show notifications for group chats. You could use the desktop app as an alternative and make sure to check your startup programs in Task Manager to see if they are listed.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Either get a Mac with Parallels or switch to Windows 7 and wait until you see how much better windows 9 is.

Sattern no one cares what you are a fan of. The OP is legitimately asking the community for help so keep those opinions to yourself please

Spoiler
  • CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
  • Motherboard:  MSI PRO B650M-A WiFi
  • RAM:  G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5 Memory @ 6000MHz
  • Graphics:  Colorful iGame GeForce RTX 3070 Ti Ultra W OC 8G-V
  • StorageKingston KC3000 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD; Seagate Barracuda 2TB Hard Disk Drive @ 7200rpm
  • PSU:  Cooler Master V1000 1000W 80+ Gold
  • Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
  • Keyboard: Cooler Master CK550 RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard w/Gateron Red switches
  • Mouse: Glorious Model O- Wireless @ 1600dpi, 1000Hz
  • DAC: JDS Labs OL DAC
  • AMP: JDS Labs O2 AMP
  • Headphones: Hifiman HE-400I w/ZMF Ori Lambskin pads
  • Soundbar: Creative Sound BlasterX Katana
  • Monitor 1: BenQ EL2870U @ 3840 x 2160, 60Hz
  • Monitor 2ASUS Predator XB252Q @ 1920 x 1080, 240Hz
  • Monitor 3AOC G2460 PQU @ 1080 x 1920, 144Hz