New build or upgrade

Le Lion de Barreras
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

yeah the problem is the Pentium has better single core performance. And I reckon I can get a better processor next year going Intel. But won't my A8 3820 bottleneck the R9 270?

No don't worry about a bottleneck. Sure the pentium might have better single core performance but is that enough reason to sell what you have now and buy a pentium? I personally don't think that it's a worthwhile upgrade.

What i would personally do is sell the 7790 for as much as you can and buy a used R9 270 preferably one from Asus or Gigabyte because the warranty is serial based (unless the seller has a proof of purchase). Later on when you get some money sell your A8 3820/mobo and buy something like a i5-4690K etc.

So, I'll try to keep this short as possible. I got a prebuilt and this was before I've gotten into PC's. The specs are : A8 3820 FM1 APU, 8GB DDR3 ram with a Radeon HD 7790with and a nSSD and a couple of drives that I placed in it. Basically I got a budget of $200 that I'm getting for my birthday next month and I'm torn between entirely ditching it and getting into an Intel Pentium build which will use some old parts of my PC like the ram, GPU and SSD or I can upgrade my old computer further by buying a R9 270. I've got everything I need to build the Intel save for the CPU, mobo and the new case. And I can only get one due to budget restrictions. My question is which is better? Swapping out the 7790 for the R9 270 or building myself the new rig?

Welp looks like I accidentally posted in the wrong place. My bad.

Edited by Le Lion de Barreras

Are you only gaming? Do you plan to do any multitasking? If you do, don't get the Pentium.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

Pretty much only gaming on a single screen. And light multi tasking when I'm not. Like some tabs open on Chrome, Skype, VLC stuff like that. No video editing or anything like that tho.

Isn't the A8 3820 a quad core? It's not worth upgrading to a pentium imo. Save your pennies for a worth-while i5 upgrade one of these days. If you can sell your 7790 for a good price picking up a used R9 270 would be a good choice.

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

Isn't the A8 3820 a quad core? It's not worth upgrading to a pentium imo. Save your pennies for a worth-while i5 upgrade one of these days. If you can sell your 7790 for a good price picking up a used R9 270 would be a good choice.

yeah the problem is the Pentium has better single core performance. And I reckon I can get a better processor next year going Intel. But won't my A8 3820 bottleneck the R9 270?

No don't worry about a bottleneck. Sure the pentium might have better single core performance but is that enough reason to sell what you have now and buy a pentium? I personally don't think that it's a worthwhile upgrade.

What i would personally do is sell the 7790 for as much as you can and buy a used R9 270 preferably one from Asus or Gigabyte because the warranty is serial based (unless the seller has a proof of purchase). Later on when you get some money sell your A8 3820/mobo and buy something like a i5-4690K etc.

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

No don't worry about a bottleneck. Sure the pentium might have better single core performance but is that enough reason to sell what you have now and buy a pentium? I personally don't think  that is a worthwhile upgrade.

What i would personally do is sell the 7790 for as much as you can and buy a used R9 270 preferably one from Asus or GIgabyte because the warranty is serial based (unless the seller has a proof of purchase). Later on when you get some money sell your A8 3820/mobo and buy something like a i5-4690K etc.

Yeah, seems so. Honestly not worth selling it around where I am since and I doubt Ebay is worth the trouble. Anyway, thanks. I guess I'll take your advice and get the R9 270 and save up for an i5 build down the road. 

Yeah, seems so. Honestly not worth selling it around where I am since and I doubt Ebay is worth the trouble. Anyway, thanks. I guess I'll take your advice and get the R9 270 and save up for an i5 build down the road. 

Can i ask where you live? It's always worth throwing things up on craigslist/kijiji etc just to see if anyone is interested. 

Can i ask where you live? It's always worth throwing things up on craigslist/kijiji etc just to see if anyone is interested. 

Eh, I don't really post that info online. Personally I'd rather keep it around since it has a bit of sentimental value since my girlfriend bought it for me. Thanks anyway.

Eh, I don't really post that info online. Personally I'd rather keep it around since it has a bit of sentimental value since my girlfriend bought it for me. Thanks anyway.

And here i am using my real name with my location under my name haha. No worries and good luck with the upgrades etc.