Need help with choosing an ultrabook.

Captain3xtreme

Hey everyone my mother is a teacher and the school gives her a macbook for work that she uses as her main computer, she will be retiring soon and she will need a replacement, preferably something less expensive than a mac. I was thinking about getting her an ultrabook, I looked on Newegg and they have this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230599

Thanks to linus when i bought an 240gb SSD for my gaming machine it was one of the best purchases I ever made because it makes the OS feel so much faster. However I obviously can't keep everything on 240gb so I have to kind of organize where I install things and keep larger files on my 1tb storage drive.

I like this ultrabook because it has an SSD for the boot drive but it's only 24gb though so I'm wondering will she have to continuously move larger files to the 520gb HDD like i do on my 240gb one? If so I think that would confuse her and it might be better to get one without an SSD but I don't know how the storage configuration shows up in this ultrabook as you might not even know there are 2 hard drives.

Basically I want to know if she is going to have to micro-manage all of her files or will be seamless or is there a way for me to make it seem seamless that doesn't sacrifice the performance increase of an SSD? Because she is not tech savvy.

2500k @ 4.8, R9 290x, 256GB Vertex 4, Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless Brown, Logitech G602 Mouse, Kingwin Lazer 1000w Platinum PSU, Corsair Dominator Platinum RAM 8GB @1866, Asrock Extreme 3 Gen 3, Xonar U7, Sennheiser 598, Switch 810, Coolermaster Hyper 212 with 1x Noctua nf-f12

Hey Captain, I saw the title of your post and I was going to come in and recommend the ultrabook that I just recently purchased on boxing day... it happens to be the

ASUS S56CA-WH31! This was my first laptop purchase every, I'm mainly a desktop user but I bought it for school, and so far I'm absolutely loving it. It is thin and light, but still has a full keyboard and number pad, nice large track pad and great battery life and really decent specs. The model I have I believe is the exact same as the one you linked. Mine came with Windows 8 too, which as a bit of a transition to get used to but it really is a nice OS, it is very fast.

A word about the SSD, the 24GB SSD in this model is used for caching the HDD. This means that right now I have two partitions, I have my OS partition and a DATA partition that came stock with the laptop out of the box. At first, I was thinking to myself that I would just format it all, remove the partition and run the OS straight off the SSD but I have decided it wouldn't be worth the hassle. Between it being an ultrabook that has to meed certain speed specifications according to Intel and the SSD cache with Windows 8 it is very zippy.

I would strongly recommend this laptop, it comes with an accidental damage warranty if you register it within 30 days of purchase and being ASUS you know they have great products and great support behind it, the price is right too!

Hope this helps, if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Hey Captain, I saw the title of your post and I was going to come in and recommend the ultrabook that I just recently purchased on boxing day... it happens to be the

ASUS S56CA-WH31! This was my first laptop purchase every, I'm mainly a desktop user but I bought it for school, and so far I'm absolutely loving it. It is thin and light, but still has a full keyboard and number pad, nice large track pad and great battery life and really decent specs. The model I have I believe is the exact same as the one you linked. Mine came with Windows 8 too, which as a bit of a transition to get used to but it really is a nice OS, it is very fast.

A word about the SSD, the 24GB SSD in this model is used for caching the HDD. This means that right now I have two partitions, I have my OS partition and a DATA partition that came stock with the laptop out of the box. At first, I was thinking to myself that I would just format it all, remove the partition and run the OS straight off the SSD but I have decided it wouldn't be worth the hassle. Between it being an ultrabook that has to meed certain speed specifications according to Intel and the SSD cache with Windows 8 it is very zippy.

I would strongly recommend this laptop, it comes with an accidental damage warranty if you register it within 30 days of purchase and being ASUS you know they have great products and great support behind it, the price is right too!

Thanks for clearing that up I think I will probably go with this one then.

2500k @ 4.8, R9 290x, 256GB Vertex 4, Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless Brown, Logitech G602 Mouse, Kingwin Lazer 1000w Platinum PSU, Corsair Dominator Platinum RAM 8GB @1866, Asrock Extreme 3 Gen 3, Xonar U7, Sennheiser 598, Switch 810, Coolermaster Hyper 212 with 1x Noctua nf-f12

Happy to help, enjoy!