NFC ideas

Woohoo

So I,ve bought some nfc-tags and I'm really liking them. It looks like not enough people are using them though.

Just wanted to see if anyone had some suggestions on what to use those tags for, or what you guys are using them for.

MSI GS60 2PC-016NL  ||  Dell U2414H  ||  Func MS3-2 || Audio Technica ATH-M40x

Set one up by the front door so instead of a door bell it sends the residents a message saying that they are outside.

If you had an NFC arduino kit, you could rig it up to your pc to replace your power button, so when you put your phone on the desk it turns the pc on.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

I think that NFC is an ungainly waste of time because of how short the range is and how limited the usage options are, it doesn't really solve any issues and the users mainly spend time actively looking for uses.

If it is for personal use, then you could place them around your house (or in your car, if you have one) and program them to activate different profiles on your phone...

| Corsair Carbide 400Q | Intel Core i5 6600K | ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB |

| EVGA GeForce GTX 970 FTW+ ACX 2.0 SLI | Noctua NH-L9i | Corsair RM650X | HyperX Fury 240 GB | Seagate Barracuda 2 TB |

Steam: zonetrooper90 | PSN: zonetrooper90 | NNID: zonetrooper90 |

Yes, mainly personal use.

I think turning off my wifi and turning on my mobile data when i go out is a good example.

Yes, mainly personal use.

I think turning off my wifi and turning on my mobile data when i go out is a good example.

You could also have one next to your bed so it automatically sets an alarm or goes to silent mode

| Corsair Carbide 400Q | Intel Core i5 6600K | ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB |

| EVGA GeForce GTX 970 FTW+ ACX 2.0 SLI | Noctua NH-L9i | Corsair RM650X | HyperX Fury 240 GB | Seagate Barracuda 2 TB |

I have heard of someone entering the info of his wireless network, so that when someone visit they could just touch the NFC to connect.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

I think that NFC is an ungainly waste of time because of how short the range is and how limited the usage options are, it doesn't really solve any issues and the users mainly spend time actively looking for uses.

I kind of, disagree and agree. 

NFC is in itself a useful tool. Sending pictures or contact information from phone to phone when you are on a limited data plan, or pictures to your PC. It can be a very nice feature, and a useful tool.

Where I agree with your statement is when the mobile phone manufacturers start trying to use NFC to solve problems that aren't problems, I don't know anyone who is too lazy to manually turn on the GPS on their phone when they want to drive somewhere new, you dont need an NFC tag for that. I don't need an NFC tag to turn my phone to silent when I get to my desk either.

Its all about how you are using the technology. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

You could use NFC tags to automate actions on Android by using an app called Tasker or unlock your phone with a tag.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

You could use NFC tags to automate actions on Android by using an app called Tasker or unlock your phone with a tag.

Too bad you can't find mods for all phones to keep nfc on when locked.

Too bad you can't find mods for all phones to keep nfc on when locked.

There might be a mod somewhere on xda... maybe somthing for Xposed...