Anti-static stuff

I could have looked this up from wiki, for sure, but since I haven't posted anything else before this (I'm new), I decided to give it a try. 

So Linus always talks about his anti-static wrist strap and static free workstation (the "mat" he puts on his table) on his build guides. I know what anti-static and static free means, but are those accessories nececcary? Do I have to get one of those static free "mats" so no magical electricity can pierce through my table and ruin my components? Does the anti-static strap control the electricity in me so the components do not get ruined?

But for real, I need to know, it bothers my mind! 

Its only game, why u heff to be mad?

No. I rebuilt my netbook on my bed. All is fine with it.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

You don't need either of those; just a little bit of common sense. Work preferably on a hard surface (ie not a rug) and periodically ground yourself by touching a piece of metal on or within the case (ie power supply). 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

You don't NEED them but it is always safe to have them. I picked up an anti static mat and strap for $10 at radio shack. 

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

You don't need a anti static mat, but you should get a anti static strap. Just work in a table with your anti static strap attracted to your case and mobo.

Touch the mounting screw on the nearest socket to you before beginning work, that's what I always do and it works for me. Although I am a generally sweaty guy and that seems to keep the static down because even though I live in a carpeted house, I never get static shocks.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

You don't need anything. I work on sensitive electronics in my dusty, staticky bedroom all the time. Both my rigs were built on carpets.Just make sure you aren't wearing socks and that whatever you're working on doesn't conduct electricity. If you aren't sure about your desk then just grab some news/paper and work on that. My desk is made of MDF and steel and I have a chair mat so that sets me up. If you take precautions then you will be fine.

Ive taken apart two laptops with no precautions and they both work fine. Just avoid carpet, large wooly sweaters and contact with other people walking around the house and youll be fine. Can even constantly ground yourself on metal items regularly while working to avoid build up.

That being said, when I start my new build next week ill have a wrist strap on. 10$ is worth being safe with your 2000$ worth of parts.

I've rebuilt my laptop and other computers on a carpet plenty of times without grounding myself first and everything still works perfectly.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Live on the coast with shag rug, Havn't had any problems yet. First build I was super carefull, floor mat, making sure to touch the case and the psu and whatnot, after that havn't taken any precautions really. Components are fairly hard to kill through accidental static, as long as you dont slide along carpet with socks on you should be good.