Hard drive issue.

Moldy

Hey guys,so i've been having some issues with my PC and i thought maybe one of you would have an idea how to fix it.I've been getting these wierd freezes where the HDD activity LED just completely turns off for around a minute sometimes two,and the PC will just hang until the activity LED comes back on.This only happens once a day/every other day.

Specs:

WD Blue 1TB with Win 8.1 64bit

AMD FX 8320 @ stock

R9 270x OC to 1150mhz on the core

Gigabyte 970A-D3P

A-Data XPG V2 1600mhz 2x4gb sticks.

Corsair CX600V2

Fractal Design Arc midi R2.

I have tried defragging the HDD but it still happens.

Run Western Digital hard drive tests using software they may have given you with the drive or download it here ...

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp

So,i ran an extended test with WDs utility and it says that my drive has some corrupt sectors.The SMART test says that the drive works fine.So do the corrupt sectors cause these hangs?

Here's what it says

Test Option: EXTENDED TEST Model Number: WDC WD10EZEX-00RKKA0 Unit Serial Number: WD-WMC1S2044979 Firmware Number: 80.00A80 Capacity: 1000.20 GB SMART Status: PASS Test Result: FAIL Test Error Code: 08-Unable to repair bad sectors. Test Time: 01:50:14, August 04, 2014

It also says Health status:Good under the properties of the drive.

What I would recommend doing is backing up the drive and formating the harddrive and see if that fixs it.

Ran by coffee

Hey, Moldy!

Sorry to hear about your problem.
As the hardware ages during normal use, sectors begin to fail at some point.
I would go with Novistion and do a back-up of the data as soon as possible.
If you are running Windows, I'd suggest you to perform a chkdsk. Here's a link on how to do it: 
 http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ee872425.aspx 

Basically you just need to run chkdsk /r, because it locates the bad sectors and tries to recover the readable data.

I'd suggest to do a warranty check as well and start the RMA from here:
http://support.wdc.com/warranty/index_end.asp?lang=en

If your drive is still under warranty, you can get a replacement.

Hope this helps.
Good luck!

SuperSoph_WD
I hope I can help with any storage issues that you may have!  ;) 

Hey, Moldy!

Sorry to hear about your problem.
As the hardware ages during normal use, sectors begin to fail at some point.
I would go with Novistion and do a back-up of the data as soon as possible.
If you are running Windows, I'd suggest you to perform a chkdsk. Here's a link on how to do it: 
 http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ee872425.aspx 

Basically you just need to run chkdsk /r, because it locates the bad sectors and tries to recover the readable data.

I'd suggest to do a warranty check as well and start the RMA from here:
http://support.wdc.com/warranty/index_end.asp?lang=en

If your drive is still under warranty, you can get a replacement.

Hope this helps.
Good luck!

SuperSoph_WD

Thanks for the reply,unfortunately i don't have a warranty anymore so i guess my only option is to replace it.Also i ran chkdksk and it says 0KB in bad sectors and everything else passed the test.

Hi again, Moldy!

0 KB in bad sectors might mean that the CHKDSK has not been able to find any bad sectors or it repaired them.

But I'd suggest to do the extended test again.

Running the Data Lifeguard Diagnostics, however, does a much more extensive job and also generates a longer detailed list of specific errors on the drive. If the error appears again - the sooner you backup your HDD, the better.

Let me know how it went.

Good luck!

SuperSoph_WD

Hi again, Moldy!

0 KB in bad sectors might mean that the CHKDSK has not been able to find any bad sectors or it repaired them.
But I'd suggest to do the extended test again.
Running the Data Lifeguard Diagnostics, however, does a much more extensive job and also generates a longer detailed list of specific errors on the drive. If the error appears again - the sooner you backup your HDD, the better.

Let me know how it went.
Good luck!

SuperSoph_WD

So i ran the extended test once more and the results are indeed the same.I guess i'll just back up my data and replace the hard drive when i can.Thank you all for the suggestions.

Moldy, the drive might be going bad but I'd watch it. If it doesn't get worse you may have had an "incident". Have you had a power failure lately? Is your comp on a UPS? How is the power in your neighbourhood like? Is your PSU running hot?

I may be barking up the wrong tree but it could also be that something forced those errors onto the drive.

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

So i ran the extended test once more and the results are indeed the same.I guess i'll just back up my data and replace the hard drive when i can.Thank you all for the suggestions.

You are welcome!

If you need any further assistance, let me know.  :)

SuperSoph_WD