Recommended GPU for single 1440p gaming

No read the others ... The 290 pities the 780 especially since is costs over $100 less and performs better. .... 290 priced like a 770 but performs better than 780 LOL ROFLMAO.

Linus disagrees.

he got a golden 780, but he also has said his 290 was a golden sample as well since it can outperform his 290x when BOTH are overclocked. Don't complain that they are reference cards since they are water cooled.

I would go 780 over the 290 since I want Gamestream with shield, and also the reliabilty. AMD has a much higher failure rate this gen.

please prove your opinions and then quantify them.

Linus disagrees.

he got a golden 780, but he also has said his 290 was a golden sample as well since it can outperform his 290x when BOTH are overclocked. Don't complain that they are reference cards since they are water cooled.

They have a gold sample 780. .... they won the silicon lottery.

Holy shit he has a golden 290 too!

The 512-bit memory bus on the 290/290X really helps at hgih resolution, so I'd grab a 290. As for brand, Sapphire, XFX, and powercolor (only the PCS+ cooler though) are good.

i5 4570/ASUS Z87-A/8GB Corsair Veangeance DDR3-1600/GTX 770/A-DATA SP600/EVGA SuperNova NEX 650G/NZXT Source 530

Holy shit he has a golden 290 too!

No I don't think it was.

The 512-bit memory bus on the 290/290X really helps at hgih resolution, so I'd grab a 290. As for brand, Sapphire, XFX, and powercolor (only the PCS+ cooler though) are good.

512bit FTW !

Every single review you have ever posted ever is running stock speeds, whether it be the default OC from the manufactuer or just a reference card. NONE of them show what the cards are truly capable of. This makes it unfair as what kind of person would get a 290 or 780 and NOT overclock them. The 780 overclocks better which allows it to pull ahead at 1080p. At 1440p they perform around the same but the 780 has lower power consumption, lower heat output, subjectively better features, lower failure rate as shown by here

http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Video-Card-Failure-Rates-by-Generation-563/ 

Different solutions work for different people. Yes, the 290 has better price/performance. Does the 780 have a place on the market? Which is it? Because if it doesn't then why the hell are they still making them?

WTF WHY RECOMMEND XFX?! DO YOU WANT HIM TO HAVE A HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE?!??!??!?!?!

The GTX 780 Ti has higher memory bandwidth than the R9 290X, bus is just a means of obtaining higher memory bandwidth, only the result matters. In the case of the R9 290 and 290X they beat the GTX 780 non-Ti, but the 780 Ti beats them both on the memory bandwidth front.

WTF WHY RECOMMEND XFX?! DO YOU WANT HIM TO HAVE A HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE?!??!??!?!?!

XFX is a lot better than they used to be. I don't know why he's recommending PowerColor though lol. Reviews of them are terrible. XFX has solid customer support now. Sapphire has the best R9 290/290X but their support isn't great. I think XFX is the best bet for R9 290/290X tbh.

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

The GTX 780 Ti has higher memory bandwidth than the R9 290X, bus is just a means of obtaining higher memory bandwidth, only the result matters. In the case of the R9 290 and 290X they beat the GTX 780 non-Ti, but the 780 Ti beats them both on the memory bandwidth front.

XFX is a lot better than they used to be. I don't know why he's recommending PowerColor though lol. Reviews of them are terrible. XFX has solid customer support now. Sapphire has the best R9 290/290X but their support isn't great. I think XFX is the best bet for R9 290/290X tbh.

Read this and tell me they still have good customer support. This is from February 2013 to 2 weeks ago. 

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/189510-my-experience-with-xfx/#entry2552235

Read this and tell me they still have good customer support. This is from February 2013 to 2 weeks ago. 

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/189510-my-experience-with-xfx/#entry2552235

Seems all the companies are hit or miss. I haven't personally used XFX, I just go by what I see in user reviews. I just saw a bunch of people who had positive results with XFX customer support, clearly that's not everyone.. and then I've seen similar complaints for Asus, Sapphire, MSI, PowerColor, and Gigabyte where they get very delayed responses, having to pay for shipping, cut and paste responses, etc.

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

Seems all the companies are hit or miss. I haven't personally used XFX, I just go by what I see in user reviews. I just saw a bunch of people who had positive results with XFX customer support, clearly that's not everyone.. and then I've seen similar complaints for Asus, Sapphire, MSI, PowerColor, and Gigabyte where they get very delayed responses, having to pay for shipping, cut and paste responses, etc.

#EVGAMasterRace?

#EVGAMasterRace?

If only they made AMD cards :(