xeon vs. i7k

1. You said xeons can't overclock when it's very obvious it can't

2. If you're gonna spend a lot you're probably gonna get a big case

3. Then you can leave

4. Not all chips can do that and they must shit money out of their ass

5. From corrosion?

6. You said not all xeons are compatible with all motherboards when all e3's are compatible with z/h/b chipsets but e5 needs a special chipset

7. Well i'm sure the people at anandtech didn't test the h100i in a desert and the dark rock in alaska

8. You're still paying a ton of money for that igpu you rarely need

9. I indeed thought wrong

10. You must be an evil, unhelpful person

1. actually it can to some extent. Intel Xeon E3 1230 V3 has a max turbo bin of 3.7Ghz for one active core. Some motherboard including mine (Z87X-OC) to allow 3.7Ghz on all four active cores.

2. not true, many people including myself would love to build high end rig(K-series w/ GTX 780 / R9 290) on micro atx cases such as Ncase M2, Silverstone Raven RVZ01, Asrock M8, In Win 901, etc...

8. iGPU can actually be used to offload encoding/decoding on the CPU while transcoding, live streaming, recording, etc...

It also can be used to save power through AMD Enduro or Nvidia Optimus by turning off dGPU while doing simpler task (similar to how ARM big.LITTLE works).

iGPU also produces less artifacts and banding while transcoding compare to other hardware accelerated encoder.

Yeah, we're all just a bunch of idiots experiencing nothing more than the placebo effect.

Wooooow that is definetely a thread for the book of shame... so much hate around.

Seems like the more popular the LTT forum gets the more people with bad behaviour join :( .

OT: I would never recommend a Xeon CPU to any of my friends or customers that are looking forward to get a new pc. The iGPU is really awesome and nice to have when people just want to have a streaming or office or small HTPC... and it´s even better for problem analysis when there is an issue with a GPU. One guy wrote it already here, when you have to RMA the GPU for what reason ever you´ll be thankful for the iGPU.

Besides that in terms of CPU power... when someone appoaches me with a new project and is on a budget I rather recommend an i5 (without K) than something else.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

All prices for Germany (mindfactory.de)

This 2 have new TIM:

3.6 to 4.0 GHz

253,44 €

1271v3 (No GPU but ECC Support)

3.6 to 4.0 GHz

312,03 €

3.4 to 3.9 GHz

253,57 €

1231v3 (No GPU but ECC Support)

3.4 to 3.8 GHz

1240v3 (No GPU but ECC Support)

3.4 to 3.8 GHz

293,16 €

1241v3 (No GPU but ECC Support)

3.5 to 3.9 GHz

Generally speaking the xeons are more expensive. Except for the 1231v3 that is ~50€ (1/5) cheaper then the 4770 for 0.1GHz less turbo clock.

EDIT: Forgot to mention: you also lose features like Quick Sync if you have no GPU

QyDpyK0.gif

W9HhonB.gif

hUyk80p.gif

Can y'all children please calm down and shut up already? Neither of you are going to change each other's opinions so stop bothering. Just STFU and make peace. WHY CAN'T WE ALL LIVE IN PEACE?

You have to get out and stick your xeon into a warm socket.

CPU - 4790k / GPU - EVGA GTX 980 / Case - NCASE M1 v3 / Board - ASUS Impact VII  / PSU SFX 600w Silverstone / Storage - 2x500GB EVOs / Windows 8.1,OS X 10.10 / Full Water Loop

It's no secret that you get less performance per dollar once you get to the i5 range of CPUs... it only gets worse the higher you go, as you compare the i7-4930K to the i7-4960X. Almost no difference in performance but twice the price.

But here's the thing... if you pick an i7-4790K, that'll last you a lot longer without needing to upgrade than if you got the Xeon 1230V3. And if you overclock an i7-4790K to around 4.7GHz, you're getting almost stock 4930K performance for a lot less.

i7-4930K = $600, no cooler

X79 board = $250

i7-4790K = $350

Good cooling = $75

Z97 board = $150

IMO it's worth it to go for an overclock-able processor. Not to mention just out of the box the 4790K has great clock speeds. I'd even recommend it to anyone with a motherboard that can't overclock!

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

FYI, though this post just seems little nuts, you should be compairing the 1276v3 to the 4770(90) since it would be more in line spec wise..

@syrazpc - for all my rambles about PC's -- My Gallifreyan Build In Progress

You know what grinds my gears? Seeing people buying an i7 rather than a xeon, especially when they don't overclock. The 120v3 is $250 while the 4770k is $313 and the 4790k is $340 which is a $63/90 premium for an unlocked multiplier and when you add $70 for a d15 or $100 and the price of the beefier vrm you're spending probably $150-$200 which is 50%-66% the price of the cpu and you're not getting as much performance as you're spending. And why the hell do people get crappy, corrosive AIOs like the h100i? The $50 dark rock 2 performs better than it and quieter according to anandtech

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/934?vs=921

And non k i7, $63-$90 premium for integrated graphics that only a server would use

EDIT: derp the h100i performs better but not by much, i read the benchmarks wrong

/rant

failpig.

CPU+Cooler: Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.5GHz + Corsair H105 (Getting custom loop soon)  GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC  RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB  Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Hero  PSU: Corsair AX860i  Case: Corsair Graphite 760T Black

I still dont realy see the point of those Xeons to be honnest.

the 1230V3 which where we speak of, should be an i7-4770 without an igpu.

But to be honnest, i got the feeling that in the real world it perform worse in some way.

In Cinebench it renderes arround the same as a FX8350 on stock, if you overclock the the FX8350, it just kicks the hell out of the Xeon 1230V3.

I dont know how that xeon exaly does in gaming, since there are not much benchmarks to find about it..

But still i think for gaming a i5-4670K 4690K would still be a better choice over the xeon.

I think that i would personaly even grab a FX8350 over the Xeon 1230V3, every day. :P

But to be honnest, i got the feeling that in the real world it perform worse in some way.

In Cinebench it renderes arround the same as a FX8350 on stock, if you overclock the the FX8350, it just kicks the hell out of the Xeon 1230V3.

I dont know how that xeon exaly does in gaming, since there are not much benchmarks to find about it..

But still i think for gaming a i5-4670K 4690K would still be a better choice over the xeon.

I think that i would personaly even grab a FX8350 over the Xeon 1230V3, every day. :P

It's a cheaper option for those who do not overclock but want hypertreading. Xeon's also usually cherry picked from the best silicon..but all in all its usually people who want to save 50$ to use that money to other parts of their build.

@syrazpc - for all my rambles about PC's -- My Gallifreyan Build In Progress

It's a cheaper option for those who do not overclock but want hypertreading. Xeon's also usually cherry picked from the best silicon..but all in all its usually people who want to save 50$ to use that money to other parts of their build.

Yes offcourse definitely.

its not a bad cpu, but for just gaming, i would not realy botter about a Xeon.

But for video editing it could be a good choice.

In the End its all depending where you use your system for.

???

post-54272-0-75127200-1407182594.png

post-54272-0-75127200-1407182594.png

???

Lol... 

I'm sorry but that is funny. :D

Well done.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro