FX-6300 3 cores?

If you read the article, you would've realised that that was a direct quote from Arun Kishan a software design engineer at Microsoft, not Logan.

I know. Because they detect and treat them the same as SMT doesnt explain it only required a copypaste and a few minor changes. It's not that simple

Was there a specific reason why they went with two Integer clusters and only one FPU? or did they just run out of room?

*snip*

Was there a specific reason why they went with two Integer clusters and only one FPU? or did they just run out of room?

Because most workloads are integer workloads, and 2x128bit FMAC and 2xMMX shared is still more than fine for almost everything else than heavy AVX instructions.

This is something I'm wondering here, how exactly is it space-efficient? Couldn't they just make one alu cluster instead of two and get the same performance? That wouldn't make it CMT anymore I assume.

Spaceeffecient as you only duplicate one part of the core instead of CMP which would have duplicated the entire core.

Reason why they didn't make one big ALU cluster featuring 4 ALUs and 4 AGUs is because that require a very advanced scheduler to keep all units active with ressources. Phenom II is a great example as the third ALU was hard to utilize.

Intel is using SMT which makes it easier for software to utilize all the ressources.

Found the architecture arguying thread once again :o

SO does that mean its not really a true 6 core?

OH ok. So its less cores than a quad core with hyperthreading.

In short, if you set to ignore all the arguying fuss those kids rumble around, yes that's what it means.

What you have there is a 3 slow module CPU that share too much to be efficient.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR