Waterblock on delided CPU

Hello, I have i7 4770K. Because of high temperatures I did custom loop.

Ambient around 28 and CPU around 70 degrees (when encoding on 100%). If I use aida64 with FFP it goes to 85+.

Now 4,2Ghz, 1,24V

I would like to go higher so I would like to delid, so my questions

1. How to delid? Razor or hammer method? I don't think any of those 2 is safe but is someone here did it, with which one?

2. Is it safe to add waterblock directly on delided CPU? With "EK Supremacy PreciseMount Add-On Naked Ivy" it should be possible. Then add Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra and put CPU block on it.

MB - MSI Z87-G43

CPU - i7 4770K

CPU block - EK Water Blocks EK-Supremacy - Acetal

i generally prefer the hammer and vice method, but your chip, even when delid might not be able to reach much higher. 

yes its ok, thats how i do all my delids. just shorten the screws a little usually, and dont apply too much pressure when mounting

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Ambient around 28 and CPU around 70 degrees (when encoding on 100%). If I use aida64 with FFP it goes to 85+.

Now 4,2Ghz, 1,24V

1. How to delid? Razor or hammer method? I don't think any of those 2 is safe but is someone here did it, with which one?

2. Is it safe to add waterblock directly on delided CPU? With "EK Supremacy PreciseMount Add-On Naked Ivy" it should be possible. Then add Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra and put CPU block on it.

MB - MSI Z87-G43

CPU - i7 4770K

heres a vid i found 

but try other thermal paste first

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

i generally prefer the hammer and vice method, but your chip, even when delid might not be able to reach much higher. 

yes its ok, thats how i do all my delids. just shorten the screws a little usually, and dont apply too much pressure when mounting

From what I watched I think too that vic + hammer is safer.

Which screws you shorten? Original one which came with waterblock or use those from EK I wrote?

And yes, I think I hit my max with 4,3Ghz if I remeber.

@jameshumphries47

I watched like every video about deliding, but thanks.

I use MX-4 thermal paste.

From what I watched I think too that vic + hammer is safer.

Which screws you shorten? Original one which came with waterblock or use those from EK I wrote?

And yes, I think I hit my max with 4,3Ghz if I remeber.

@jameshumphries47

I watched like every video about deliding, but thanks.

i just shorten the screws that are supplied with the block, or modify however is needed depending on the mechanism. ive never used the EK thing, but if they sell it, it works. 

also, MSI has (or has in the works) this replacement bracket for the socket, so you dont need to worry about the pressure and it keeps the cpu in nicely

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

If you are running the die naked then the EK precise mount kit works or,and this is the better method due to PCB warpage of running naked,scrape off all the black glue and replace the IHS using CL Ultra paste. This retains the correct mounting pressures and doesnt warp the chips PCB.

Hammer and vice is the preferred method of de-lidding.

Do not use CL Ultra or Pro on naked dies in direct contact with the block,the CL products harden like a boss and require extreme measures to get off. Only use CL between the IHS and the die.

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.

If you are running the die naked then the EK precise mount kit works or,and this is the better method due to PCB warpage of running naked,scrape off all the black glue and replace the IHS using CL Ultra paste. This retains the correct mounting pressures and doesnt warp the chips PCB.

Hammer and vice is the preferred method of de-lidding.

Do not use CL Ultra or Pro on naked dies in direct contact with the block,the CL products corrode copper like a boss,even thru nickel plate. Only use CL between the IHS and the die.

This is what I wanted to know.

So if I add CL ultra on die I cant put waterblock on it, becaise it will corode? If yes, how should I use it if I dont want to add IHS back?

Now 4,2Ghz, 1,24V

MB - MSI Z87-G43

CPU - i7 4770K

It is safe to add the EK precise mount but only for EK blocks and follow the tutorials carefully or you may crush the die. Liquid Ultra is one of the main choices for this procedure.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

This is what I wanted to know.

So if I add CL ultra on die I cant put waterblock on it, becaise it will corode? If yes, how should I use it if I dont want to add IHS back?

Use Gelid EX or equivalent.

If you are certain the nickel plate is of good quality then CL products can be used but I do not recommend the risk. Be also aware that Liquid pro requires chisel to get it off.

Strangely,the IHS is also nickel plated but does not suffer like waterblocks do.

You can use any block mounting equipment,just be aware of how much pressure you are exerting on the die.

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.

Like Negative said do not use liquid metal for direct die cooling, it's only good for use between the die and the IHS. For direct die cooling I would also recommend GE Ex or MX-4 or such.

4770k Delid @ 4.5Ghz/1.25V w/ NH-D15, Maximus VII Hero, HyperX Beast 8GB 1600Mhz, GTX770 DCII OC, Strider Gold S 750W, 120GB 840 EVO, 2TB Barracuda, No case : D

Quickfire TK (MX Brown), Naos 7000, 128GB Surface Pro 2, 32GB G2 With Lightning Rom V4

Great guys, thanks a lot for answers. Maybe I will buy both GE EX and CL and try it both ways, what gives me less temperature.