PC upgrade help

MrFlopsie

Hi everyone!

I'm sure you get these topics everyday and I'm sorry if it is posted in the wrong forum.

Anyway, I want to be able to play Dragon Age Inquisition and The Witcher 3 preferably on almost max graphics settings or high. I know the requirments are not yet released but I'd still like to know your opinions.

My current system is:

First gen i7 920 @ 2.67Ghz

6Gb RAM

Sapphire Radeon HD6850

My system is almost 5 years old except for the graphics card which I upgraded, 2-3 years ago.

My question is, can I get away again with just upgrading the gpu or does my cpu and ram need an upgrade too?

Budget is around €500

I'd prefer to put my budget only on a graphics card if possible.

My system can still play a lot of games on high or max settings but with the newer and heavier ones I have to with medium.

So as the release date of dragon age is pushed back to november, are there any new cards coming out between now and then? Or should I go with something that's already released?

Thanks!

Hi everyone!

I'm sure you get these topics everyday and I'm sorry if it is posted in the wrong forum.

Anyway, I want to be able to play Dragon Age Inquisition and The Witcher 3 preferably on almost max graphics settings or high. I know the requirments are not yet released but I'd still like to know your opinions.

My current system is:

First gen i7 920 @ 2.67Ghz

6Gb RAM

Sapphire Radeon HD6850

My system is almost 5 years old except for the graphics card which I upgraded, 2-3 years ago.

My question is, can I get away again with just upgrading the gpu or does my cpu and ram need an upgrade too?

Budget is around €500

I'd prefer to put my budget only on a graphics card if possible.

My system can still play a lot of games on high or max settings but with the newer and heavier ones I have to with medium.

So as the release date of dragon age is pushed back to november, are there any new cards coming out between now and then? Or should I go with something that's already released?

Thanks!

Need to know your PSU as well so we know if you have to upgrade that as well, also is that RAM 1333MHz or 1600MHz?

The i7-920 will not bottleneck an R9 290 to the extent of 20-30 frames (http://static.techspot.com/articles-info/734/bench/CPU_01.png) but only a few frames so that is good to go. Assuming your PSU is up to the task you could go with a Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X which should be fine for quite a while. I would also look into going to 8gb 1866 G.SKILL memory though since it's not that expensive. Do post your PSU specs though so we know whether you need to upgrade that as well.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Thanks for the reply! I'll check out that R9

My psu is a cooler master GX 750W, which I bought along with the 6850.

As for the RAM, I'm not really sure which it is. As it was just the stock ram that came with the pc when I bought it. Not custom build.

But I attached an image of cpu-z.

post-109014-0-87402700-1406461045.png

Sorry for the bump, but if it says that the minimum for the card is 750W, is that enough? Or is it not a good idea to go with the minimum?

And what about Nvidia, I read somewhere here that their new cards will be released in a couple of months?

If it is Witcher 3 you aim for, that game is not due for another 5 months. Don't upgrade your gpu now.

Witcher 3 is expected to be a system destroyer, particularly if Witcher 2 is of any indication, to run that on max settings you would need a dual gpu setup with the current gpus on the market and that would be seriously bottlenecked by your 5 year old CPU and very low frequency - low capacity memory.

So my suggestion for you is use your budget now to get a new CPU, Motherboard and RAM. This will boost your general PC usage experience by a whole lot alone. Then when the new iteration of GPUs hit the market, which is expected within the next 3-4 months, get a beefy one.

This is the only scenario you would even get close to max settings on Witcher 3, for what you request is impossible with 500 Euros budget, your CPU, RAM and GPU config :(

Good news though, your PSU should be fine!

Thanks for the reply! I'll give it a thought.

(Why didn't I get a job this summer, damn)

Thanks for the reply! I'll give it a thought.

(Why didn't I get a job this summer, damn)

Correction by the way, Witcher 3 is due in 7 months, so you have a long time :)

Enjoy your new parts!